Goulburn Valley FL 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Noticed that Nathan Drummond has listed his community club as Old Melbournians on the footscray vfl site. Has he changed his mind on a Mooroopna homecoming?

For clubs thinking of breaching the Salary Cap a saliant reminder; the O&M are believed to be stripping Wang Magpies of their Premiership last year. Rumour has it that the O&M Board met last night and made the decision. It is about time this was taken seriously.
Don’t see the point in that. I reckon other sides especially Yarra would rather see them taken fully out of contention this year. What’s done is done, strip them of winning it this year instead imo.

Don’t see the point in that. I reckon other sides especially Yarra would rather see them taken fully out of contention this year. What’s done is done, strip them of winning it this year instead imo.
At least O&M are showing that breaches will come with serious consequences. GV have caused confusion and are inconsistent.

Did you watch Mooroopna on the weekend? Match report? Looks like they had a good win.
Yeah I did. They ran the game out well. Myrtleford started well but missed some chances which kept the cats in the game. Mooroopna then got their running game going and looked much fitter by the end. Three pronged forward line of Dan Johnston, Nield and Trengove will be a handful if they get good service. Hard to gauge opposition because you never know who’s missing but they looked a lot better this game than the first couple of praccys.

Yeah I did. They ran the game out well. Myrtleford started well but missed some chances which kept the cats in the game. Mooroopna then got their running game going and looked much fitter by the end. Three pronged forward line of Dan Johnston, Nield and Trengove will be a handful if they get good service. Hard to gauge opposition because you never know who’s missing but they looked a lot better this game than the first couple of praccys.
How did Bryce Rutherford go comes with very high expectations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least O&M are showing that breaches will come with serious consequences. GV have caused confusion and are inconsistent.
The trouble is that all breaches are also inconsistent. There are many ways to skin a cat and many ways around the salary Cap if you want to be creative and take the risk.

Footballers of his calibre coming into the Gvl is just great for the league . Last year’s Berwick premiership captain is a policeman stationed in mooroopna Big chance he’ll hold some coaching duties next season with the cats
Mooroopna will be there when the whips are cracking; Neild, Jack Johnson, Betsons x 2, Rutherford, Trengrove and Dan Johnson are a formidable group. Is Hunt still there or back at North Heidelberg?

Mooroopna will be there when the whips are cracking; Neild, Jack Johnson, Betsons x 2, Rutherford, Trengrove and Dan Johnson are a formidable group. Is Hunt still there or back at North Heidelberg?
As far as I know the two brothers Jack and Ethan Hunt are still there The cats are looking pretty good mate and as said many times on bf they are in pretty good hands with John Lamont

The trouble is that all breaches are also inconsistent. There are many ways to skin a cat and many ways around the salary Cap if you want to be creative and take the risk.
I’ve heard that the GVL have somewhat adopted a teired point system without dare calling it that .
With clubs who finished lower on the ladder having more points than those above them moreso than ever before .
Big 👏 if that is the case .

I agree about penalities being for future but I’d have thought rather than ruling them completely out of contention restricting them in points and cap for a sustained period with gradual increases would have been the most appropriate .

For clubs thinking of breaching the Salary Cap a saliant reminder; the O&M are believed to be stripping Wang Magpies of their Premiership last year. Rumour has it that the O&M Board met last night and made the decision. It is about time this was taken seriously.
I agree ringo, begs the question, has there been a breach in the gv and would there be any nervous clubs after seeing the results of wangs mistake?

Takes a lot of effort to get around it though, means a lot of hours put in by someone at the club to get around the loopholes, many clubs would think is it worth it

Easier to say no cap and structure points statewide on a sliding scale. Doing that would save on administrative work for clubs and leagues and take the 'over spending' elephant out of the room.

For a 12-team league like the GVL, you could go:

36 - 1st to 4th from the previous year.
38 - 5th to 7th from the previous year.
40 - 8th to 10th from the previous year.
42 - 11th and 12th from the previous year.

Plus 2 points for any club who has not made finals for three seasons (obviously this ends when they make finals).
Plus another 2 points in they have finished bottom two for three seasons (obviously this ends when they finish outside the bottom two).

Easier to say no cap and structure points statewide on a sliding scale.

For a 12-team league like the GVL, you could go:

36 - 1st to 4th from the previous year.
38 - 5th to 7th from the previous year.
40 - 8th to 10th from the previous year.
42 - 11th and 12th from the previous year.

Plus 2 points for any club who has not made finals for three seasons (obviously this ends when they make finals).
Plus another 2 points in they have finished bottom two for three seasons (obviously this ends when they finish outside the bottom two).
100%. A properly set up points system beats a next to impossible to monitor salary cap.... thats if equalisation is really a priority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back