Goulburn Valley FL - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL Thread (part 2)

Charge costly for Saad

May 29 2008
Shepparton News

Seymour forward Saad Saad will not represent Goulburn Valley Football League at the Victorian Country Championships after being suspended at an independent tribunal hearing last night.
Saad received a two-match ban for charging Echuca's Craig Sutton, which saw him yellow-carded and reported by all six officiating umpires.

The contact forced Sutton to be stretchered from the ground as he was deemed to have been knocked unconscious.

Saad pleaded not guilty to the charges.

During the three-hour hearing, the tribunal heard evidence from all six reporting umpires - including one via telephone link - and from an eyewitness who was a spectator at the game relating to the incident.

Sutton could only recall the moments leading up to the incident and was only aware he had been unconscious when alerted by a team doctor.

Saad maintained he had eyes only for the ball and bumped into him while contesting for the mark and no intention of causing any harm to Sutton.

After all the evidence had been heard, it was established Saad had made front-on contact to Sutton and he was found guilty of the charge.

Saad's advocate asked the tribunal to consider his good record - his only suspension prior to this case was last year - and consider a suspended sentence so he could line up for the Goulburn Valley at the championships this weekend.

After deliberation the tribunal dealt him a two-match ban, meaning he will miss the interleague carnival this weekend and Seymour's grand final rematch against Shepparton Swans in a fortnight.

Saad declined to comment after the hearing.
What would have he got if he pleaded guilty or was a set penalty offered.
Two weeks seems fairly soft as he obviously did it and was reported by six umpires and still pleaded not guilty.

Charge costly for Saad

May 29 2008
Shepparton News

Seymour forward Saad Saad will not represent Goulburn Valley Football League at the Victorian Country Championships after being suspended at an independent tribunal hearing last night.
Saad received a two-match ban for charging Echuca's Craig Sutton, which saw him yellow-carded and reported by all six officiating umpires.

The contact forced Sutton to be stretchered from the ground as he was deemed to have been knocked unconscious.

Saad pleaded not guilty to the charges.

During the three-hour hearing, the tribunal heard evidence from all six reporting umpires - including one via telephone link - and from an eyewitness who was a spectator at the game relating to the incident.

Sutton could only recall the moments leading up to the incident and was only aware he had been unconscious when alerted by a team doctor.

Saad maintained he had eyes only for the ball and bumped into him while contesting for the mark and no intention of causing any harm to Sutton.

After all the evidence had been heard, it was established Saad had made front-on contact to Sutton and he was found guilty of the charge.

Saad's advocate asked the tribunal to consider his good record - his only suspension prior to this case was last year - and consider a suspended sentence so he could line up for the Goulburn Valley at the championships this weekend.

After deliberation the tribunal dealt him a two-match ban, meaning he will miss the interleague carnival this weekend and Seymour's grand final rematch against Shepparton Swans in a fortnight.

Saad declined to comment after the hearing.

Can you post the other two stories from the Shepp News about Saad and racism thanks(ones under the story you posted, other is on the 2nd page online).

LION CLAIMS RACIAL ABUSE

Seymour president Stuart Locke believes Goulburn Valley Football League could lose its drawcards if personal verbal abuse is allowed to continue.
Locke's comments came in light of claims by the club's star forward Saad Saad he had been subject to racial abuse from opposition players during league games recently, including being called a "dumb Lebo" and "terrorist" among other derogatory terms.
"Look at the Kyabram District league, they've just lost their drawcard and we don't want to go down that path," Locke said in reference to Aaron James being suspended after being found guilty on a misconduct charge last week for striking a spectator.
The suspension effectively ended James' career, with the Stanhope full-forward having accumulated more than 16 weeks in suspensions during his career, the threshold before being deregistered by AFL Victoria.
He claimed he had suffered from a barrage of abuse from the crowd during the game, which led to the incident with a spectator.
Locke believes the vast majority of GVFL supporters wanted to see Saad play and were not abusive towards him, but those who were needed to be weeded out.
"He's actually adored by most clubs," he said.
"I had kids when we've been to Benalla come up to me and ask `is Saad playing, I've heard he's injured'.
"When I told them he was playing they said they'd stay and watch the game."
League chairman John Coghlan said the league would be contacting clubs in the coming week to reiterate the zero tolerance approach it had towards verbal abuse both on and off the field.
Coghlan said in specific cases of racial vilification, the Victorian Country Football League had set policies in place.
However, Coghlan said there had been no formal complaints made by any player or club in recent years.

SAAD TAKES A STAND

GVFL STAR PREPARED TO LEAVE GAME IF RACISM IS NOT DEALT WITH

By Simon Cameron

Star Seymour forward Saad Saad is close to walking away from football due to racial abuse from opposition players.
Mr Saad - undoubtedly one of the most dynamic footballers in the Goulburn Valley Football League - yesterday claimed he had been called a "dumb Lebo", "terrorist" and "camel r**ter" by opposition players in recent times and called on the league to take immediate action to stamp out abuse.
"I'm this close (to walking away from football)," Mr Saad said.
He said he would probably give the game away altogether, rather than play in Melbourne or another country league, if the abuse became unbearable.
Mr Saad, 25, from Melbourne, said the GVFL's reputation as a country football destination would be diminished if the league did not take issues of racial abuse seriously.
"If they don't take it seriously they will lose respect from other leagues and not many players will want to play in it," he said.
GVFL chairman John Coghlan yesterday said the league would be sending out a direction to all clubs in the coming week that there would be a zero tolerance approach to abuse both on and off the football field.
"We will be asking the clubs to control their supporters and educate their players," he said.
"We will be reemphasising that as far as the GVFL is concerned there is no place for abuse whether it be of a sexual, racial or family nature from either side of the fence."
Mr Coghlan said personal abuse was not prevalent in the GVFL, and there had been no formal or informal complaints made about the issue in recent years.
Seymour president Stuart Locke said the club was set to table letters at last night's delegates meeting from both himself and the secretary, raising the issue of player abuse in the hope of stamping it out of the game.
"We want to have this sort of abuse stopped," he said.
Mr Saad said it was difficult to ignore racial abuse from opposition players when it continued throughout a game.
"Over the four years I've been playing (in the GVFL) I've had a couple of players say things and they haven't meant to say it, and I just ignore it," he said.
"If they've said it once, it might just have slipped out. But when they are saying it the whole game, they meant it.
"This isn't part of footy. Footy is footy and this shouldn't be part of it.
"My teammates have heard it. They heard other stuff that I haven't heard."
The issue of verbal abuse in football was raised in the wake of Stanhope forward Aaron James' three week suspension last week after he was found guilty by the Kyabram and District Football League for misconduct after striking a spectator.
He told The News he was subjected to personal abuse by sections of the crowd during the match and had struck out after being "pushed over the edge".

SAAD TAKES A STAND

By Simon Cameron

Star Seymour forward Saad Saad is close to walking away from football due to racial abuse from opposition players.
Mr Saad - undoubtedly one of the most dynamic footballers in the Goulburn Valley Football League - yesterday claimed he had been called a "dumb Lebo", "terrorist" and "camel r**ter" by opposition players in recent times and called on the league to take immediate action to stamp out abuse.
He said he would probably give the game away altogether, rather than play in Melbourne or another country league, if the abuse became unbearable.
Mr Saad, 25, from Melbourne, said the GVFL's reputation as a country football destination would be diminished if the league did not take issues of racial abuse seriously.
"If they don't take it seriously they will lose respect from other leagues and not many players will want to play in it," he said.
GVFL chairman John Coghlan yesterday said the league would be sending out a direction to all clubs in the coming week that there would be a zero tolerance approach to abuse both on and off the football field.
"We will be asking the clubs to control their supporters and educate their players," he said.
"We will be reemphasising that as far as the GVFL is concerned there is no place for abuse whether it be of a sexual, racial or family nature from either side of the fence."
Mr Coghlan said personal abuse was not prevalent in the GVFL, and there had been no formal or informal complaints made about the issue in recent years.
Seymour president Stuart Locke said the club was set to table letters at last night's delegates meeting from both himself and the secretary, raising the issue of player abuse in the hope of stamping it out of the game.
Mr Saad said it was difficult to ignore racial abuse from opposition players when it continued throughout a game.
"Over the four years I've been playing (in the GVFL) I've had a couple of players say things and they haven't meant to say it, and I just ignore it," he said.
"If they've said it once, it might just have slipped out. But when they are saying it the whole game, they meant it.
The issue of verbal abuse in football was raised in the wake of Stanhope forward Aaron James' three week suspension last week after he was found guilty by the Kyabram and District Football League for misconduct after striking a spectator.
He told The News he was subjected to personal abuse by sections of the crowd during the match and had struck out after being "pushed over the edge".

Thanks.

Saad copped two weeks at the tribunal last night, which means he misses the interleague and the game against the Swans. Personally I believe the suspension should be served in GVFL matches that are played for premiership points. Afterall this is where he committed the offence.

I see in the Shepp news they also say he will only miss the Interleague and Swans game. This is a joke if correct - the GVFL would be the only league in Australia stupid enough to count the interleague towards a suspension.

Even the AFL let Daniel Kerr play in the dream team, but still had to serve his 3 matches in the home and away draw...

Very interesting stuff......Im currently playing in the EDFL and If I or one of my teammates said anything like that I and half of my family would be dead before the game finished.....

Its not on, but a part of football none the less. Players shouldnt be able to get away with it and should be reported, but its impossible to stop the pissed group of blokes on the other side of the ground. If your giving the crowd the bird, your asking for it really......

SAAD TAKES A STAND

By Simon Cameron

This issue was raised in the lead up to the 2005 Grand Final and was a key reason then club president Paul Cox formed the "Saad Squad". Their goal was to try and drown out the racial abuse from the crowd at the end Saad was with support and fan-fair.

You can't blame the guy for lashing out occasionally...he cops it week after week, if its not 2 blokes hanging off him, its 2 blokes hanging off him and another spewing racial abuse at him.

Very interesting stuff......Im currently playing in the EDFL and If I or one of my teammates said anything like that I and half of my family would be dead before the game finished.....

Its not on, but a part of football none the less. Players shouldnt be able to get away with it and should be reported, but its impossible to stop the pissed group of blokes on the other side of the ground. If your giving the crowd the bird, your asking for it really......

People have been paying out on peoples mothers, sisters, your colour. anything thats different or they know they can get a reaction out of you for years.

The papers make it a bigger issue than it had to be as it makes a good story to write.

Playing in darwin where the opportunities for racism are a lot higher, there is very few, if any cases.

People have been paying out on peoples mothers, sisters, your colour. anything thats different or they know they can get a reaction out of you for years.

The papers make it a bigger issue than it had to be as it makes a good story to write.

Playing in darwin where the opportunities for racism are a lot higher, there is very few, if any cases.
I dont know where you stand???

How can clubs stop the ferrals going to country football?

I think he is kind of saying why is Saad bringing this up all of the sudden if it has been happening a lot.
"I'm this close (to walking away from football),"
Sounds to me he is saying enough is enough.
Think you will find the minority group blokes are a lot tougher and put up with more than is acceptable but it would have to get to you!
Footballs a game thats played by most for enjoyment and I wouldnt think Saad was any different.
Clubs need to show some balls and eject the loud mouth ferrals from the ground and tell the players that over step the line they are not welcome no matter how good they are.

"I'm this close (to walking away from football),"
Sounds to me he is saying enough is enough.
Think you will find the minority group blokes are a lot tougher and put up with more than is acceptable but it would have to get to you!
Footballs a game thats played by most for enjoyment and I wouldnt think Saad was any different.
Clubs need to show some balls and eject the loud mouth ferrals from the ground and tell the players that over step the line they are not welcome no matter how good they are.

I'm in a minority group, I'm physically disabled and like Saad with the 'terrorist' and 'camel rxxter' comments I and all other physically disabled people get stereotyped with being mentally disabled which is far from the case.

In the original article about his tribunal hearing he pleaded not guilty to the charge and never in there was it mentioned that he was spurned on by racist comments against him and therefore lead to the incident. I believe now he is just trying the old 'poor me' routine to try and come out of this looking better then he could have if he just kept quiet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in a minority group, I'm physically disabled and like Saad with the 'terrorist' and 'camel rxxter' comments I and all other physically disabled people get stereotyped with being mentally disabled which is far from the case.

In the original article about his tribunal hearing he pleaded not guilty to the charge and never in there was it mentioned that he was spurned on by racist comments against him and therefore lead to the incident. I believe now he is just trying the old 'poor me' routine to try and come out of this looking better then he could have if he just kept quiet.
Not sure that the racial comments led to his report. Playing as he does with two or more opponents playing on him at most of his contests Im sure he took his opportunity to get one back, that was too late. I wont talk for him but I see it as two separate issues. He didnt use it as why he got reported but has separatly stated its why he is close to giving the game away. I think its you who is trying to make him look bad by putting the two together.
Saad has been a "super star" in the G.V. and country football has more to lose than him if he gives the game away.
Would be interesting to hear any comments from the Ky people with their full foward. Im thinking he may get more abuse for being a w***er of a bloke than being Indian though.

Not sure that the racial comments led to his report. Playing as he does with two or more opponents playing on him at most of his contests Im sure he took his opportunity to get one back, that was too late. I wont talk for him but I see it as two separate issues. He didnt use it as why he got reported but has separatly stated its why he is close to giving the game away. I think its you who is trying to make him look bad by putting the two together.
Saad has been a "super star" in the G.V. and country football has more to lose than him if he gives the game away.
Would be interesting to hear any comments from the Ky people with their full foward. Im thinking he may get more abuse for being a w***er of a bloke than being Indian though.

I agree he is a great player, and yes I agree they're two incidents but why does he bring up the racial comments now. I think it's to save face.

I agree he is a great player, and yes I agree they're two incidents but why does he bring up the racial comments now. I think it's to save face.
The Aaron James incident would have started it. Its more the ferral behaivour and abuse at the football than the fact he has been reported. Might just be a coincidents he was reported this week.

congrats CD well worded and a very fair assessment of the post you were responding to, i think we should all have a good think about what is going on hear, Saad is no sook and if he raised the issue then it must be addressed in a fair and appropriate manner, weather it is saad or tim the tool man personnal or racist abuse should be a thing of the past, we should all be working to make sure it is not allowed to continue.

Im pretty sure Dan caused a bit of trouble one night presumably on the piss and it was the weekend he got dropped from the seniors. Would this be pretty close to the mark No Heart?

rockstar , you are correct , he got dropped and played a ripper game in the twos and went out to have a good time, and it went all down hill from there .:thumbsu:

I don't think he did bring it up. I'd suggest that he was probably responding to a direct question from a Shep News reporter on the back of comments made by the SFNC President and as those who know him would expect, answered truthfuly.
Having said that I think we'd all agree it would be a crying shame if one of our leagues great attractions was lost to the game as a result of continual racial abuse from either side of the fence. Whilst I know it's almost impossible for clubs to control the behaviour of their supporters, perhaps we should be looking to the players and officials to set the standard.

rockstar , you are correct , he got dropped and played a ripper game in the twos and went out to have a good time, and it went all down hill from there .:thumbsu:

What are the chances of him returning No Heart? And does the club want him to return? I met him at the start of the year and had a few beers with him and seemed like a good bloke, but if he is going to be causing trouble it may not be the best thing for him or the club for him to return.

Anyone know the final interleague team?

Here's the side for game 1

Goulburn Valley FL - Players
CASEY, Christopher
COLLINS, Bradley
COX, Steven
DELEDIO, Matt
DEUSCHER, Ben
DOHNT, Adrian
DURIE, Colin
FAGAN, Benjamin
FLINT, Craig
NEWMAN, Paul
OSBORNE, Robert
ROBERTS, Relton
ROY, Daniel
STORER, Matt
TWEDDLE, Nathan
VICK, Joshua
WATSON, Ashley

CASEY, Christopher
COLLINS, Bradley
COX, Steven
DELEDIO, Matt
DEUSCHER, Ben
DOHNT, Adrian
DURIE, Colin
FAGAN, Benjamin
FLINT, Craig
NEWMAN, Paul
OSBORNE, Robert
ROBERTS, Relton
ROY, Daniel
STORER, Matt
TWEDDLE, Nathan
VICK, Joshua
WATSON, Ashley

Gee they must be confident, going in with just 17 players.:eek::D;)

CASEY, Christopher
COLLINS, Bradley
COX, Steven
DELEDIO, Matt
DEUSCHER, Ben
DOHNT, Adrian
DURIE, Colin
FAGAN, Benjamin
FLINT, Craig
NEWMAN, Paul
OSBORNE, Robert
ROBERTS, Relton
ROY, Daniel
STORER, Matt
TWEDDLE, Nathan
VICK, Joshua
WATSON, Ashley
Looks like a good side:thumbsdown:
G.V. is going to get spanked, they could at least try and be fairdinkum!!

Anyone know the final interleague team?
Coach - Tony Tranter
Echuca - Guy Campbell, Colin Durie (captain), Adrian Dohnt, Chris Casey
Euroa - Relton Roberts, Rowan Bonson
Kyabram - Paul Newman (v-captain), Matt Deledio, Josh Vick
Mansfield - Matt Storer, Craig Flint, Ben Fagan, Dan Roy
Mooroopna - Blake Campbell, Robert Osborne, Steven Cox, Nathan Tweddle
Rochester - Brad Collins, Elliott Bowen, Ashley Watson, Ben Deuscher, Sam O'Brien
Seymour - Tim Hooper, Shane Schottner, Paul Scanlon (v-captain), Saad Saad
Shepparton - Nick Allan, Mark Harrap, Matt Chapman;
Shepparton Swans - Matt Hebbard
Tatura - Alex Isailovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back