Toast Graham Wright not Mucking around at the Trade Table

Remove this Banner Ad

Start of this Trade Period and last years Trade Period shows that he does not Muck Around and get to Fancy with Trades.

He trades what the Him and Club Value for them and Sticks to it.

Also with Hill/Lipinslki/Kreuger we where able to get our Targets in the before Trade Period before we get them.

Also doing Deals Fair keeps Clubs Happy about us

If Wright is as good as everyone seems to think we get a first rounder, 17 or higher for Henry and and a first rounder + future first for Grundy and the Dee's pay his full salary, otherwise we're getting bent over.
Never strengthen an enemy cheaply.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Wright is as good as everyone seems to think we get a first rounder, 17 or higher for Henry and and a first rounder + future first for Grundy and the Dee's pay his full salary, otherwise we're getting bent over.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We wont be getting a first rounder + future first for a ruckman who is past his prime and we are trying to offload as a salary dump. I also have a feeling there may be more to offloading Grundy than just the salary dump.

If he's any good, he doesn't run with that logic. He'd only be focussed on what makes the Pies better.

...a ruckman who is past his prime ...
Remains to be seen. A lot of old rucks in the comp in recent years, Grundy is mid career.

He may have run himself into the ground given he rucked for 90% game time most games, but his fitness and overall endurance have been top notch.

Wright’s greatest strength is that he gets the trades he wants done.
And prioritises getting them done quickly so he can move onto the next domino to drop.

To do this, he regularly pays overs and accepts unders.

This is his way. And I expect it to continue.
The players we’re targeting fill needs and have merit.

Future second for hill
$3M over 5 years McStay
JDG resigning on his terms.
Unders on the cards for Grundy
Overs on the cards for Frampton.
Question marks for Henry and Mitchell.
Fiorini looking balanced to me, if it happens.
Giving away future picks in a good draft too readily.

Let’s hope the list management is right and the ends justifies the means.

He has already sorted out 2 areas of need in the first 2 days - I would call that smart.
If we can get Grundy off the books and Mitchell I would say that is mission accomplished.
Everything after that is a bonus.

Wright’s greatest strength is that he gets the trades he wants done.
And prioritises getting them done quickly so he can move onto the next domino to drop.

To do this, he regularly pays overs and accepts unders.

This is his way. And I expect it to continue.
The players we’re targeting fill needs and have merit.

Future second for hill
$3M over 5 years McStay
JDG resigning on his terms.
Unders on the cards for Grundy
Overs on the cards for Frampton.
Question marks for Henry and Mitchell.
Fiorini looking balanced to me, if it happens.
Giving away future picks in a good draft too readily.

Let’s hope the list management is right and the ends justifies the means.
This is how we got into salary cap troubles in the first place. Gubby Allen, then Hine, then Ned Guy basically had the same philosophy of paying players what they want and paying other clubs what they want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve got a fair idea of our salary cap situation now …

… even though Grundy and Henry are unlikely to be staying, our cap needs to be structured to handle the eventuality that they do (if only for negotiation purposes).

So Hill and McStay would be taking whatever is freed up by Roughead, Callum and Tyler plus any contract reductions for other players plus whatever else was left in the cap.

McMahon’s salary would be taken up by whoever we take at pick 16.

Chugg’s salary would be taken up by whoever takes his rookie list spot.

So if we do offload Grundy and Henry, that means their freed up salaries (~$700K + ~$200K = ~$900K ?) would be spent on 3 list positions …

Out: Roughead -> In: Hill (salary already in cap)
Out: Callum -> In: McStay (salary already in cap)
Out: McMahon -> In: Pick 16 (salary already in cap)
Out: Chugg -> In: Rookie Pick 16 (salary already in cap)

Plus Possibly:

Out: Grundy + Henry + Tyler -> In: Three list spots being paid combined ~$900K

Last edited:
I wish he had have mucked around a bit more with the Bobby Hill trade. Fringe player who would likely not have been getting a game but for long-term injury to Brent Daniels and Hill is also coming off cancer treatment. Tough I know and I feel for Bobby but I reckon a future second was overs.

*Now he is in black and white I am 100pc behind him. I hope I am wrong but I don't hold out much hope he will be best 22 any time soon.

Start of this Trade Period and last years Trade Period shows that he does not Muck Around and get to Fancy with Trades.

He trades what the Him and Club Value for them and Sticks to it.

Also with Hill/Lipinslki/Kreuger we where able to get our Targets in the before Trade Period before we get them.

Also doing Deals Fair keeps Clubs Happy about us
Yep let’s toast a guy who continues to get screwed at every deal like Wright does. Nothing has changed in list management and his record wasn’t much better at the Hawks. We continue to be the club that gets screwed year in year out with no lube!!

Quite a few clubs desperate for a future second pick now and we shipped ours off early. I think this was a premature move for Hill when this pick could easily end up being around 25 next year.

It's all very well to get deals sorted quickly but i think this one was overs for a fringe player. Also I hate trading future picks when there is so much risk on what the pick could be.

I wish he had have mucked around a bit more with the Bobby Hill trade. Fringe player who would likely not have been getting a game but for long-term injury to Brent Daniels and Hill is also coming off cancer treatment. Tough I know and I feel for Bobby but I reckon a future second was overs.

*Now he is in black and white I am 100pc behind him. I hope I am wrong but I don't hold out much hope he will be best 22 any time soon.
You're in for a surprise, he can really play and is finally settled where he wants to be, he's going to be a gun for us

Quite a few clubs desperate for a future second pick now and we shipped ours off early. I think this was a premature move for Hill when this pick could easily end up being around 25 next year.

It's all very well to get deals sorted quickly but i think this one was overs for a fringe player. Also I hate trading future picks when there is so much risk on what the pick could be.

We wanted Hill so did not try to be to Cute with the Trade

Yep let’s toast a guy who continues to get screwed at every deal like Wright does. Nothing has changed in list management and his record wasn’t much better at the Hawks. We continue to be the club that gets screwed year in year out with no lube!!
surely you're talking stronzo

We wanted Hill so did not try to be to Cute with the Trade

Agree we wanted him but a future second could be, realistically, anywhere from 23-36... that is pretty strong currency. I'd rather have paid a set pick from this year as I am still smarting from trading a future 1st and watching us finish second-last. Future third, fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright not Mucking around at the Trade Table

Remove this Banner Ad

Back