Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Not too fussed about the arguments about his sabbatical or about internal politics. We just went through what could have been the greatest upheaval in our history yet at the end of the day no blood was spilled and the power handover was orderly…and the end result was a premiership. A bit of friction doesn’t hurt.

If wright wants to be a ceo or in fact if he wanted to be Collingwoods ceo then he moves on. It’s a terrible shame but he brought us a flag, for which I’m forever grateful. Just as I’m forever grateful for his massive contribution to our drought breaking 1990 premiership.

Good luck to him in his next stage of his career, which hopefully is in admin. I’d be very disappointed if he ended up back in a football role at another club

Dillon has previously taken LSL from the AFL. Imagine if the AFL kicked him out instead? We would be without our fearless leader.

Perhaps it was all unavoidable but the stark reality is that we entered this season without the bloke we headhunted to be our GM of Football and the one who ultimately put us on the path towards our 16th Premiership.

To make matters worse the two assistants who arguably gave us the most credentialed coaching panel in the league were missing from the areas they were specifically targeted for.

Again this might have been unavoidable if we wanted to keep one or both at the club but it still doesn't change the end result which is Wright has been lost from the club and our two most experienced assistant coaches weren't filling the positions they were originally hired for.

Is it really any wonder our season went the way it did? That's a lot of experience and talent removed from the roles they filled in our Premiership year.

The most annoying part is we got 3 years out of Wright. How many seasons spent and Premierships won at Hawthorn?

How many flags for Leppitsch and Bolton in their roles as assistants at Richmond and the Hawks?

We thank them for their contribution but the selfish Collingwod supporter in me says we didn't get the best of them for long enough.

As it stands now we're one soldier down with the absence of Wright (and movement of Leppitsch/Bolton) filled by internal candidates this season. We didn't hire anybody new of note.

We should now but it's assumed if Bolton doesn't get the GM of Football position he will leave.

If that occurs it means we're still -1 from the collective group that guided us to last years flag while Leppitsch would have moved to a list management position.

We need to go out and poach another quality assistant coach and make sure we don't fall back into the mindset that what we have will be good enough.

We saw that creep in under Buckley/McGuire IMO before a hard reset at the of 2017 and if it means having to pay a football department tax so be it.

What's the point of 110,000 members anyway if it's not to be in a position to pay it.
Fantastic post

Would have liked Wrighty to stick around but respect his decision and also liked that the club supported the sabbatical. Life changes and I’d much rather this scenario than someone sticking around if the passion is not there anymore.

Interesting comments from Fly.

The club will now reflect on whether not replacing GW immediately was a mistake. Leppa and Bolts were forced to do 'two or three jobs'.

The club will now reflect on whether not replacing GW immediately was a mistake. Leppa and Bolts were forced to do 'two or three jobs'.
In hindsight... should have left the successful coaching structure in place - replace GW - live, learn and don't get B2B 😔

I can save the club some ‘reflecting’ time over whether not replacing GW immediately was a mistake.

The answer is yes.

I can save the club some ‘reflecting’ time over whether not replacing GW immediately was a mistake.

The answer is yes.
That will depend upon who we replace him with.
If we had to wait a year to get that person, the wait might be worth it and might explain the strategy re sabbatical etc 😉

That will depend upon who we replace him with.
If we had to wait a year to get that person, the wait might be worth it and might explain the strategy re sabbatical etc 😉

I admire your positivity AD👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah maybe it was Fev’s vape dealer texting him for a laugh. Either way, it was unsettling to hear of recent events. If there was even a HINT of racism and old boys club behaviour after everything we went through then he does need to go, ASAP. Redefines stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But you're leaving out the fact that Leppa didn't want to be an assistant coach anymore. He expressed his interest in wanting to go into a more administrative role & was being chased by other clubs.

With Wright going on leave, it allowed the club to give that opportunity to Leppa, thus keeping him at the club.

Where he remained involved in the coaching of the team.

I still can’t understand why he wanted out after only 3 seasons that included a Premiership

I can only assume or guess Craig Kelly’s presence was the major contributing factor.

I guess the other 21 years in administration before he arrived back at Collingwood, and 11 years playing, didn’t come in to it

I guess the other 21 years in administration before he arrived back at Collingwood, and 11 years playing, didn’t come in to it

No? Not if he just takes another role at the AFL

I didn't ask why he wanted a break

I asked why he wanted to leave Collingwood so quickly

Fair enough although I will understand it better if he doesn't take up another admin job in sport.

No? Not if he just takes another role at the AFL

I didn't ask why he wanted a break

I asked why he wanted to leave Collingwood so quickly

Because he has had 24 years in administration and is seeking fresh challenges?

None of us know or will ever likely know, and really it doesn’t matter. He was head hunted for a role, came to the club and performed that role very very well, and now wants to move on. I’m not sure why there’s any angst about it. I’m happy to thank him for his contribution, and move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back