Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

The entire time I’ve spoken about Wright leaving. It’s been about how he’s leaving us after only 3 years

To me that’s quickly given he was at Hawthorn for 15+

Not sure why you’re hyper focusing on this time aspect to create a debate out of it. But then again, I am sure why. It’s you and you’re replying to me.
You’re right - I went back and checked your posts and realise I took your comment out of context.

Someone from within club has stated Wright left because Kelly was trying to stand over all his decision making
I'm shattered that he left. There's obviously more to the story than meets the eye, and we will probably never know the true reasons behind his departure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We wouldn't have won the premiership without GW, so I respectfully disagree.
Feels like we've gone back to the past.

Understated interim Korda board and Wright set up their panel that employs Fly. Felt like we had moved with the times to a new Colingwood not controlled by big personality and ego.

Then we have the Browne takeover followed by the appointment of Ned. Feels like Ed in a different form.

Understated interim Korda board and Wright set up their panel that employs Fly. Felt like we had moved with the times to a new Colingwood not controlled by big personality and ego.

Then we have the Browne takeover followed by the appointment of Ned. Feels like Ed in a different form.
Had a proper process to recruit Fly (maybe the first time ever in Cwood coach appointment).

What was the process to appoint Kelly?

Reckon that's just imagination. Anyone lamenting Wright's departure and thinking "it should have been Ned" might remind themselves that Ned wasn't the one who attempted to resign last year.

In any personality clash, it takes two to tango. And these are two very experienced operators. If the working relationship has fractured irreparably, invariably it is the underling who gets exited - especially one who had previously tried to pull the pin.

Ned is the best credentialed footy CEO we have ever had - he is way over-qualified for the job. Strong industry experience, huge amount of management and P&L success, etc.

Don't get sucked in by that laughable HR claim.

Last edited:
Had a proper process to recruit Fly (maybe the first time ever in Cwood coach appointment).

What was the process to appoint Kelly?
The recruitment of Wright and Fly was led by Mark Anderson. Although Eddie appointed Anderson, so we have to give him due credit for that. When Anderson resigned in early 2023, Kelly seemed to have just been wheeled in as an 'obvious' successor without a lengthy or extensive recruitment process. I think Anderson might have been underestimated and undervalued for his acumen.

Reckon that's just imagination. Anyone lamenting Wright's departure and thinking "it should have been Ned" might remind themselves that Ned wasn't the one who attempted to resign last year.

In any personality clash, it takes two to tango. And these are two very experienced operators. If the working relationship has fractured irreparably, invariably it is the underling who gets exited - especially one who had previously tried to pull the pin.

Ned is the best credentialed footy CEO we have ever had - he is way over-qualified for the job. Strong industry experience, huge amount of management and P&L success, etc.

Don't get sucked in by that laughable HR claim.
Agree it's imagination.

But still think it appears to have been old school with the method of both Browne's ascension and Kelly's appointment.

The method is a red flag for me.

Agree it's imagination.

But still think it appears to have been old school with the method of both Browne's ascension and Kelly's appointment.

Not sure what you mean by old school? Do you need every appointment to have a comprehensive and drawn out recruitment process?

How was Wright appointed? Does Carp's likely move to chairman wave another red flag?

Agree it's imagination.

Browne's "ascension" could well have been via well connected, influential Pie supporters deciding it was time for a coup at Board level.

Kelly is highly experienced in the footy industry. If he was head and shoulders above other candidates run the process and let him come out the other end.

Having achieved the coup at Board level and appointed the coach via a recognised process we should have followed a comparable process to appoint the CEO - might have turned out to be Kelly

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by old school? Do you need every appointment to have a comprehensive and drawn out recruitment process?

How was Wright appointed? Does Carp's likely move to chairman wave another red flag?
I don't actually know how Wright or Kelly were appointed. But they both came across as top down head hunting. By old school, I mean a top down individual's decision, which runs a greater risk of being fractious.

Last edited:
Agree it's imagination.

I’d assume the club had long held interest in Kelly as CEO but he just wasn’t available. If you’re going to headhunt then Ned’s of the calibre candidate that should be targeted. I have no issue with his recruitment.

I've got a feeling that Kelly is a bad apple.

Your feeling is spot on

I've been trying to tell anyone who would listen on this forum for literal years that he's no good and I hope we don't bring him into the club.

I really genuinely worry about us as a club going forward while he's there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back