Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't argue with any of that EP.
The Wright talk here though, seems to be all over the shop.
My memory could be wrong of course, but these are the facts as I remember them:
•Wright approached Kelly and Browne and handed in his resignation. He said his wife had always wanted to spend a summer in Europe and he could never agree to go with her, due to his footy commitments. He thought that now, after winning a premiership, he could no longer put it off.
•Club reluctant to lose him, so came up with a "superannuation plan'. I think it may have been Craig Kelly who spoke about this and said that other workers get Super, so why not football administrators?
•Brendan Bolton and Justin Leppitsch were given promotions, although there was some talk that Leppa wanted Bolton's role. Leppa was head-hunted at the end of 2023 (by the Dogs?), so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he decides to leave. Of course, if he were offered Wrighty's role, he'd likely jump at it.

All talk of Wright not returning has been from members of the media who have no real facts
; a bit like Tom Morris's report that Elliott may never play again. If Wright, Browne and Kelly know anything already, they are keeping shtum.

Incorrect.

Browne effectively signaled it with his interview yesterday.

In reality if Leppitsch becomes our list manager and Bolton the GM of football then outside the role of CEO (which wont and shouldn't be vacated by Kelly) I see no role of significance left for Wright.

The last thing we want to do then is to invent some fancy sounding title for Wright in an attempt to appease supporters and for the optics of getting the band back together.

The money would be better spent on hiring another highly credentialed assistant as this year we effectively removed the two we had and replaced them with a couple with much yet to prove in comparison.

As one example is there another Longmuir out there who can come in and help improve our defensive structures?

This is the biggest media beat up ever
what a nonsense
was totally anon-issue until we started losing, in the second half of the year

like, if hutchy went to america for 6 months, do you think kane cornes would be any less of a flog every morning?

i mean really, if you think this has impacted us on field this year, i am very curious to hear about what you do for work and about how your workplace operates

This is the biggest media beat up ever
what a nonsense
was totally anon-issue until we started losing, in the second half of the year

like, if hutchy went to america for 6 months, do you think kane cornes would be any less of a flog every morning?

i mean really, if you think this has impacted us on field this year, i am very curious to hear about what you do for work and about how your workplace operates
Exactly. They forgot about it whilst we were getting a few wins on the board. All this off field chatter has only surfaced during the first 3 losses & now.

In fact, I recall the media saying what a mature & employee friendly club we were for making it possible for Wright & his family to have this time together.

Now it's the reason we're not applying pressure or sticking tackles on the field 🙄

Incorrect.

Browne effectively signaled it with his interview yesterday.

In reality if Leppitsch becomes our list manager and Bolton the GM of football then outside the role of CEO (which wont and shouldn't be vacated by Kelly) I see no role of significance left for Wright.

The last thing we want to do then is to invent some fancy sounding title for Wright in an attempt to appease supporters and for the optics of getting the band back together.

The money would be better spent on hiring another highly credentialed assistant as this year we effectively removed the two we had and replaced them with a couple with much yet to prove in comparison.

As one example is there another Longmuir out there who can come in and help improve our defensive structures?
Leppitsch and Bolton are exceptional coaches. And definitely not best qualified for list manager or head of football. What a cluster f***

I don’t need you to draw pictures for me.
Your entire argument is based on what you imagine.
The fact you don’t recognise this says a fair bit about your ego.

Expanding on his views of the Wright absence this year, Browne said the elevation of responsibilities for Justin Leppitsch and Brendon Bolton had already improved operations for the future.

"And there has been an increased role for (high performance manager) Jarrod Wade, too,

So the club told us roles have increased?

Expanding on his views of the Wright absence this year, Browne said the elevation of responsibilities for Justin Leppitsch and Brendon Bolton had already improved operations for the future.

"And there has been an increased role for (high performance manager) Jarrod Wade, too,

So the club told us roles have increased?
Good morning.

We won a Premiership so the platform can't have been that unstable. Regardless, I'm sure he was well remunerated for his troubles and at times dual roles. He deserved to be.

Triple roles (he was acting CEO at one stage there)

How do you know that he was well remunerated?

Given how long Wright has been involved in football at both player and administrator level only lasting 3 years at our club seems like a bit of a farewell tour to me.

A huge part of any job is the people, especially those above you in the org chart.

There is a leader who has a vision and values. There is a boss who provides the environment for you to succeed or fail. There are a bunch of things that go into that - the mission, the resources, the levels of autonomy / responsibility / accountability / risk management that you believe you need to succeed …

When you get to GW’a level they’re the things you look for. When your leader changes, and your boss changes, the job you now have is no longer the job that was sold to you. That doesn’t have to be a bad thing - there’s a chance it could end up being even better, but at a minimum it will be disruptive.

In your whole history of following Collingwood, how many times have you heard the club President say “Yeah, we gave this thing a go that was totally in our control, and it ended up being a balls up. Oh well, shit happens”?

Does that mean that nothing is ever ballsed up at Collingwood?

In your whole history of following Collingwood, how many times have you heard the club President say “Yeah, we gave this thing a go that was totally in our control, and it ended up being a balls up. Oh well, shit happens”?

Does that mean that nothing is ever ballsed up at Collingwood?

Do we know what involvement, if any, Wright has had this year in supporting Leppa and Bolts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So both were impressive when we clawed our way back into Top 4 but are now duds?
That’s completely illogical.
I never know how anyone not within the club can judge the performance of individual assistant coach's either positively or negatively. Who the hell knows who does what and how well they do it.

Just had a lovely meal with Wrighty.

He was in a great mood because the nurses here at Del Boca Vista know how to purée his oysters and main meal of steak and vegetables just how he likes it - all together at once.

He’s a happy soul but not as satisfied with life as he used to be. Reckons that Leppa and Bolts have messed things up a bit and got ahead of themselves. They’ve also sucked up to big Brownie and convinced him that things are actually better now - but Wrighty says just look at the ladder ya dickheads.

Anyway, Brownie arranged for this lovely new place to stay - told Wrighty he hopes he fits in well there. But Wrighty reckons he’s stumbled on a potential new head coach he’s got his eyes on who could turn things around - a lovely little orange fella named Donald. Reckons he’s just the right man to ridicule the players back in to form.

He’s a genius our man Wrighty, always thinking outside the square.

TBH, don't care who plays in what position as JB & CK are best positioned to make these calls.
Just get us back to the F top quickly, we crave sustained success.

Just had a lovely meal with Wrighty.

He was in a great mood because the nurses here at Del Boca Vista know how to purée his oysters and main meal of steak and vegetables just how he likes it - all together at once.

Food ends up in the stomach that way. It makes perfect sense from an efficiency and time-management point of view to optimise and delegate the mastication process.

As you say, Wrighty is a genius. We’ll be poorer if we lose him.

Same hubris. Presidents are well-intentioned, but they should stick to being Presidents and leave the running of the footy department to the footy experts.
Yep - he has finger prints all over this disastrous defence of the flag

That Browne interview endorsing the new structure as the way forward has ruined my week.
Browne is clueless
My take on that is that he knows Wright isn’t coming back and was trying to be positive about life without him.

I hope I’m wrong and GW is coming back but I got the impression that Browne has moved on.

That Browne interview endorsing the new structure as the way forward has ruined my week.
Browne is clueless

"We're missing Wrighty. Leppa & Bolts are nuffies, the club is pushing shit uphill with those 2. Have to replace those duds with someone who knows what they're doing."

That's how a proper club president would roll. :)

Last edited:
My take on that is that he knows Wright isn’t coming back and was trying to be positive about life without him.

I hope I’m wrong and GW is coming back but I got the impression that Browne has moved on.

Did we end up getting the board term limits up? If so, Licuria would have to be getting close to the end of his term, and Wrighty (if he’s looking to take a job outside of AFL, or to retire) might be a great option for footy director.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back