Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Alarm bells for mine

Browne’s only senior appointment has been Kelly. And I said at the time, reeked of JFTB operandi

Wrighty consulting to us from the Med. reeks of inability to cut the umbilical cord and/or acknowledgment of single person /key man dependency

Apparent in-fighting btw Bolts & Leppa reeks of inability for CEO & Board to provide clarity and more ‘me than we’

If court case against Kelly /club has any skerrick of substance and Kelly is forced to stand down, wouldn’t Wright be almost the ideal candidate ..but by that stage he’ll be working for the afl.

At a time we have some big strategic calls to make re our list, it seems unfathomable that we are this dis-organised off-field and looking to 'start' a recruitment (or another JFTB) process to appoint a HO Footy dept

Browne’s comments earlier this year about ‘not bottoming out and loading up again’ (paraphrasing) also hugely concerning. Almost sounds like doubling down on the ‘confetti’ strategy.

Can’t say I’m super confident about any of this ..but hopefully I’m wildly off the reservation about all of it!
I feel that we are well down the track on this. The narrative changed 5 weeks ago when Browne did several interviews and said Leppa was a world class list manager etc. and that we may not have a specific role for GW. Pies are not going to make any announcements whilst the season is still going

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

But didn't Dogs offer Leppitsch an administrative role, which he declined when Pies offered him the same role? At the time it was reported that was the area in the football department he wanted to go in.

And iirc, this was before Wright's sabbatical was announced, he did however take on 'extra' responsibilities when Wright was overseas.

That would suggest to me that he no longer wanted to remain as an assistant coach.

I always thought the fact we changed up our assistant coaches this year had an effect on our season, it was always going to take time to adjust & combined with so many injuries certainly didn't help.
Yes. After he knocked back the Dogs it was announced he had moved from Assistant Coach to Innovation and Strategy

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kelly was inarguably a great hire. Hugely over-qualified for a club ceo job. It was a no brainer to take him.
'inarguable' .. i suppose that's accurate given the closed 'blast from the past' JFTB process adopted by the board resulted in no other 'great' candidates being canvassed

According to Nial and Gleeson from the Age, perhaps the inarguable may be somewhat arguable ..

"Tensions between Wright and chief executive Craig Kelly, a 1990 premiership teammate, were among the factors that have led to the decision to leave the club, as the Pies appear certain to seek an outsider to replace Wright, who has already been sounded by the AFL and other clubs about potential positions."

And like i say, if there's a skerrick of substance in the allegations about to play out in court, that 'inarguable no brainer' will quickly become 'arguably a brainless decision' of the highest order

IMO, we didn't need an over-qualified no brainer CEO to turn the club around but we most definitely needed (and still need) a best-in-class, premiership credentialed GM of footy

reckon it's highly dubious we have the former and highly certain, we now don't have the latter

When they were teammates in the 90s they got on well but their pathways were different post-football. Kelly has always had an ego and his background is more well-heeled than the East Devenport boy. Pity though after we chased him for so long that these tensions arose for him to be a casuality.

When they were teammates in the 90s they got on well but their pathways were different post-football. Kelly has always had an ego and his background is more well-heeled than the East Devenport boy. Pity though after we chased him for so long that these tensions arose for him to be a casuality.
Wasnt Kelly also Wright's manager when he was in sport management? Presumably they got on fine during that period.

"Kelly, who previously ran the sports management company TLA Worldwide – which had McRae, Collingwood assistant coach Justin Leppitsch and Wright as clients – is among the most-connected figures in football and also took a more hands-on role at the club once Wright stepped away."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any player who hasn't signed a contract by now, particularly if it's been there awaiting to be signed, means they're more likely to leave than stay...
Well that's not true. There are plenty of players who talk about the ongoing discussions they are having with their club in relation to their contract before signing it. And many wait until the end of the season.

'inarguable' .. i suppose that's accurate given the closed 'blast from the past' JFTB process adopted by the board resulted in no other 'great' candidates being canvassed

According to Nial and Gleeson from the Age, perhaps the inarguable may be somewhat arguable ..

"Tensions between Wright and chief executive Craig Kelly, a 1990 premiership teammate, were among the factors that have led to the decision to leave the club, as the Pies appear certain to seek an outsider to replace Wright, who has already been sounded by the AFL and other clubs about potential positions."

And like i say, if there's a skerrick of substance in the allegations about to play out in court, that 'inarguable no brainer' will quickly become 'arguably a brainless decision' of the highest order

IMO, we didn't need an over-qualified no brainer CEO to turn the club around but we most definitely needed (and still need) a best-in-class, premiership credentialed GM of footy

reckon it's highly dubious we have the former and highly certain, we now don't have the latter

Gleeson is a jobs for the boys conspiracist from way back. As for the rest of it, highly dubious

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is Ned becoming an issue within the club?

Does this really come as a surprise to anyone?

Given Kelly’s combative style as a player and the aggressive drive needed to then build a large talent management business, it wouldn’t surprise if adherence to proper process, inclusiveness, nurturing of junior staff and working collegially were not uppermost amongst his qualities. I used to believe that Kelly’s background in player management would deliver us trade windfalls but so far it has been quite the contrary.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

mmmm - Wright vs Kelly? 😔
This is never good if true.

Either way pretty unhappy with this. If Wright was going to leave he should have done so at the end of last season, or we should have let him go and not forced him to take a sabbatical.

In a season where we are going to miss out by the smallest of margins, tell me not having a footy director didn’t hurt!

This is never good if true.

Either way pretty unhappy with this. If Wright was going to leave he should have done so at the end of last season, or we should have let him go and not forced him to take a sabbatical.

In a season where we are going to miss out by the smallest of margins, tell me not having a footy director didn’t hurt!
In other words with tension between Wright and Kelly, we haven't handled it well - the one staying is facing an impending legal issue - maybe court case.

Did Kelly throw something at Wright?

PS - could there be another epic off-field Pie drama unfolding?

Jack Galbally vs Tom Sherrin; Ranald MacDonald and the "New Magpies; McGuire's succession (f#ck up) plan - we do it like no-one else

I'm heading for another Cwood inspired pathology test - 💉 🚑 👹

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Graham Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back