Preview Grand Final 2019 - Who will win?

Who will win?

• Richmond

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • GWS

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

when the boys have been brave and lost by narrow margins in two massive games over these last two years.

...and that's what separated Geelong and Hawthorn over St Kilda 10-15 years ago.

St Kilda is what could happen with Collingwood too if the coach stops rewarding these "brave" losses with praise and instead actually challenge his players.

You're dead right that Pies aren't mediocre but coach can't praise a team that played one quarter in a prelim. That 5 goal lead in last year's gf, should be pretty filthy too. Wasn't a one kick loss from Dom Sheed.

Reckon the mental conditioning of the players last few years has fostered in an acceptance of trying is ok. You never hear them talk like Hodge/Scarlett where anything less than a flag is not acceptable.

Can't totally understand some posters are feeling a lot of angst towards the club after this year. Despite making a prelim, the hunger of losing a GF wasn't there from round one.

Last edited:
So much personal stuff here - very regrettable, and unnecessary, which isn’t worthy of a response.

I seem to recall posting we would make Top 4 and you pulled me up several times saying it wasn’t possible. Telling me to go and do the ladder predictor to convince myself.

The rest is history.

You didn’t learn the lesson, that being positive has no downside.
Yes I remember.
I also remember making a point of accepting I was wrong. You didn't rub it in my face or mention it. I came out and reminded you of how wrong I was.
Being positive is a great thing. And you are very positive about the club. But sometimes positive can be negative. We still have to hold the club to account.
You don't seem to want to accept any criticism of the club.
Overly negative or overly positive, they are both silly.

Relevant to me - since 1967 Richmond's GF win ratio is 7/9.
Ours is 2/11.
Simple, sad fact - cannot be disputed, nothing to do with pessimism or optimism
2 out of 11 in one life time. Yet some people can't believe we may be critical of our club.
My experience may be a few years shorter than yours.
My youngest memory is the 77 loss to North.
To see Richmond who has been a basket case for two decades come out an win 2 flags in 3 years really hurts.

I have 2 main hobbies: jay-walking and getting angry at opposition teams (especially Carlton and Richmond)

Watched the GF in Singapore which prohibits both jay-walking and the spontaneous display of emotion

So has been an oddly tranquilised experience watching a major enemy slaughter a minor enemy

Watched the game with a mate who didn't GAF about the result

Nonetheless he was a fine host: ordering me a tasty vegetable biryani and sharing some good gossip

Sunday hugs xx

Last edited:
Yes I remember.
I also remember making a point of accepting I was wrong. You didn't rub it in my face or mention it. I came out and reminded you of how wrong I was.
Being positive is a great thing. And you are very positive about the club. But sometimes positive can be negative. We still have to hold the club to account.
You don't seem to want to accept any criticism of the club.
Overly negative or overly positive, they are both silly.

Do you actually think that the club is not seething about the Prelim result?

Buckley said he wasn’t going to be able to watch the GF as he was not over the Prelim. At the Brownlow Simpson asked him “are you out of the cave yet”, having experienced the same disappointment himself.

Maybe you have seen back slapping and rejoicing at Prelim loss by Eddie and others - I haven’t.

So this idea “we have to hold the club to account”, as if they have been prancing around in self satisfied delirium is a figment of your imagine.

Of course I am disappointed - but the vacuous and hollow rantings here of so many that “we accept mediocrity “ is trite, uninformed and completely without evidence.

Melb is the poster child for accepting mediocrity - Prelim to Wooden spoon contender in 1 season.

You should be a little more respectful towards the club and players you support, and cease with unfounded accusations.

Do you actually think that the club is not seething about the Prelim result?

Buckley said he wasn’t going to be able to watch the GF as he was not over the Prelim. At the Brownlow Simpson asked him “are you out of the cave yet”, having experienced the same disappointment himself.

Maybe you have seen back slapping and rejoicing at Prelim loss by Eddie and others - I haven’t.

So this idea “we have to hold the club to account”, as if they have been prancing around in self satisfied delirium is a figment of your imagine.

Of course I am disappointed - but the vacuous and hollow rantings here of so many that “we accept mediocrity “ is trite, uninformed and completely without evidence.

Melb is the poster child for accepting mediocrity - Prelim to Wooden spoon contender in 1 season.

You should be a little more respectful towards the club and players you support, and cease with unfounded accusations.

Talk is cheap, playing for more than one quarter in a prelim would have been be the best response for Collingwood after last year's GF loss, and they failed that.

2 out of 11 in one life time. Yet some people can't believe we may be critical of our club.
My experience may be a few years shorter than yours.
My youngest memory is the 77 loss to North.
To see Richmond who has been a basket case for two decades come out an win 2 flags in 3 years really hurts.
First GF loss I attended was 1960 - kicked 2.2 - lowest score ever in a GF - since then..... - but under no circumstances must you ever raise any criticisms because you will just be a disloyal ***** -
Successful organisations are brutal in their self appraisal but carry on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First GF loss I attended was 1960 - kicked 2.2 - lowest score ever in a GF - since then..... - but under no circumstances must you ever raise any criticisms because you will just be a disloyal ***** -
Successful organisations are brutal in their self appraisal but carry on

Where is your evidence that we lack brutal self appraisal ?

Collingwood should be ashamed, once again ****ing up and letting a minnow smash them. Yesterdays result was because of collingwood. Richmond should thank us for being a pathetic excuse of a club, gifting them another flag. Basically had no oppostition yesterday...

Dont know how people continue to support this club.

I am 25 and have seen 4 grand final losses, 1 drawn and 1 win. That prelim loss honeslty feels like a grand final loss as well

Cant wait for the remainder of my life.... my dad is 58 and he has seen much worse....

...and that's what separated Geelong and Hawthorn over St Kilda 10-15 years ago.

St Kilda is what could happen with Collingwood too if the coach stops rewarding these "brave" losses with praise and instead actually challenge his players.

You're dead right that Pies aren't mediocre but coach can't praise a team that played one quarter in a prelim. That 5 goal lead in last year's gf, should be pretty filthy too. Wasn't a one kick loss from Dom Sheed.

Reckon the mental conditioning of the players last few years has fostered in an acceptance of trying is ok. You never hear them talk like Hodge/Scarlett where anything less than a flag is not acceptable.

Can't totally understand some posters are feeling a lot of angst towards the club after this year. Despite making a prelim, the hunger of losing a GF wasn't there from round one.
Agree with you about the hunger this year and we don't seem to ever come out angry (Taylor Adams seems to be the only one).
What bugs me about us is we are mostly very successful and mostly seem to play deep into finals and play in grand finals but for what ever reason lose them. We have played in nine prelims in the 2000s second to Geelong who have played in ten.
My point and you agree with is that we are not mediocre, we are are great club that for some God knows reason seems to lose in the final hurdle and it really bugs me also.
But I can't accept my fellow supporters calling my club mediocre

Yes talk is cheap - I respectfully suggest you get back under the bed because the sky is falling in.

Ending in a prelim as minimum, is a good result on paper, but the Pies coasted in 2019 which is what annoys most people including myself. They expected to turn up in the GF by playing majority of games only one quarter for the entire year. Stephenson even let slip in an interview De Goey would be back in time for the GF which they expected to play in.

They lack the form and four quarter effort that great teams poses. Pies couldn't even beat the Suns by 89 points....let alone another top 8 side in a final in 2019.

Sky isn't falling in but can completely understand fans using BF as an outlet after Richmond put in the work after losing 2018 and did something about their list following year.

Collingwood can just as well fade into St Kilda of 2009/2010...an "almost" team.

Reckon you will be able to tell during the trade period when they keep cooked players like Reid instead of trading aggressively for someone to help out Mihocek as a KPF.

Dont know how people continue to support this club.

I am 25 and have seen 4 grand final losses, 1 drawn and 1 win. That prelim loss honeslty feels like a grand final loss as well

Cant wait for the remainder of my life.... my dad is 58 and he has seen much worse....
Your dad is quite young and very lucky he hasn't seen worse :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back