Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm generally ok with the game. they were better. we've got glaring issues in our list. our ruckman is passive, starcevich is only just an afl player.
our back talls should be payne, gardiner, lester. our forward talls should be andrews, hippy, joe(thought he played one of his best games today).
Thanks, I can always rely on you to give me a chuckle.

How was that first free to Daicos rite in front of goal, even Toby Greene would have been spewing!!

To be honest, I’m really not as distraught as I thought I would be. We still lack a hard edge and the consistency that you see in really great sides. Berry and Fletcher managed 3 disposals for the first half, Starcevich could only manage 4 disposals for the half and Hipwood 5.
Rayner had a shocking second half with only 2 disposals. Too many players just went missing for extended periods.
Compounding their lack of possession, too many of these players just play dumb footy. Long term, Berry really doesn’t have what it takes and we need to either move him on or recruit a replacement. Too often today Collingwood played smart football, while we were stuck playing the low IQ brand.

It was rubbish, not a single one like that payed our way all day.
Sorry - totally disagree - he’d taken the mark and he came in and tackled him and took him to ground to hold him up - easiest 50 metre to pay - I don’t recall any that we should have got other than a ball not being returned in the full late but I think there was some confusion over who was in control. Both 50m penalties against Berry were for the same thing which is poor.

See you next year.
Sorry - totally disagree - he’d taken the mark and he came in and tackled him and took him to ground to hold him up - easiest 50 metre to pay - I don’t recall any that we should have got other than a ball not being returned in the full late but I think there was some confusion over who was in control. Both 50m penalties against Berry were for the same thing which is poor.
100% Correct.

Better drilled, better composed side won. Would have been sweet to pinch it at the end, but not to be. Gonna be some boys hitting preseason on a quest to rebuild their reputations.
Having said that, the Pies were smooched on the sausage all September.

To be honest, I’m really not as distraught as I thought I would be. We still lack a hard edge and the consistency that you see in really great sides. Berry and Fletcher managed 3 disposals for the first half, Starcevich could only manage 4 disposals for the half and Hipwood 5.
Rayner had a shocking second half with only 2 disposals. Too many players just went missing for extended periods.
Compounding their lack of possession, too many of these players just play dumb footy. Long term, Berry really doesn’t have what it takes and we need to either move him on or recruit a replacement. Too often today Collingwood played smart football, while we were stuck playing the low IQ brand.
Berry can’t be a walk up start each week if we are going to win a flag. Good depth player and that’s it.

Having said that, the Pies were smooched on the sausage all September.
They won three games by a combined 12 points - hence why I was worried when we hadn’t blown them away in the 3rd quarter - we were never winning a close one and they weren’t losing it unfortunately

Shattered.
You have to give it to Collingwood though. When it looked like we were on top they wouldn't stop fighting back.
Same with us, there were a few times it looked like Collingwood were about to take it away but we continued coming. They just did it better.
One of the great grand finals.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Go home, you already said that.

Gotta say. It’s been a real pleasure sharing the highs and lows with everyone on this board this year. I don’t often post because someone has usually said it already. But it’s been great to feel the warmth and enthusiasm, especially after a win. We had some real highs this year. We lost a granny by a few points. Feeling everyone’s pain. But sharing it makes it easier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fully fit Payne turning entries into counter attacks with marking... that really could have been a game winner instead of Gardiner and Lester halving contests at best.

You can see why we're after Doedee too. His intercept marking and subsequent good disposal is his most valuable skill.

A fit Andrews, Payne and Doedee could be pretty formidable.

You can see why we're after Doedee too. His intercept marking and subsequent good disposal is his most valuable skill.

A fit Andrews, Payne and Doedee could be pretty formidable.

Not sure how McKenna and Wilmot were unable to get more involved but we badly needed another good ball user down there in the second half when kiddy was tiring

There’s a few who need big pre-seasons. Berry is one. Felt like he had a bit more luck with his body this year so hopefully he can hit the ground running in preseason.

Cam obviously needs to smash this preseason if the club has hope that he can one day play at least “meaningful” mid minutes.

Kiddy is the other one. Imagine getting first half Kiddy for a full game! That’s where we need him.

Hipwood needs some marking training - if he can't get it right then we need to trade him.
I said to my wife in the warm up that Eric looked off. Nervy and no confidence. Sadly I was 100% right - he was next to no use to us all day. I think the GF will either be the making or the breaking of him.

We always seem to have so many players missing when it’s not completely on our terms. Lack that mentality and leadership within the group to individually drag themselves back into the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Back