Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Shattered, what can you say. I know exactly how everyone on this board is feeing.

Weird one, thought some players really stood tall on the big occasion, but others were well below their best or even their usual output. We went into some old bad habits in that 2nd half, but still had a shot at it if it wasn't for an absolute howlers form the umps (to be expected at the G vs a Vic team)

Can leave all the analysis for the off-season on where the improvement comes etc. but right now, just gutted knowing we have to go back and start again, no guarantees we will be back, especially having experienced how long this one journey took for this group to get here today.

Take care
My best mates a pies supporter and is also feeling very sorry for me. I can regret tonight’s choices on my flight home tomorrow morning :D.

We win the big one next year, Collingwood got done in a close one, this was our turn.

Delist Berry though. What an absolute shit decision by him to give Sidebottom that opportunity.

The role Robertson is playing needs to be someone that spends more time through the middle (whether that's him or someone else). He's essentially taken over Ashcroft's role, but then slimmed down our midfield rotations too much which puts too much onus on the starting midfield rotation.

Would be nice if someone like Robertson (if he stays) or Tunstill is able to step into that role in the absence of Ashcroft last season.
Hopefully he stays

Jeez. Feeling really flat. I have to do something very difficult and emotional with an elderly relative tomorrow. She’s a mad keen Collingwood fan. I’m thinking of her joy. Should make things easier for her.
That’s how I’m trying to look at it.

Geez, I hope you are not taking said relative to the Vet to be put down?:eek:

Hope my kids aren't reading this..;)

(tough what you have to do so good luck to you and your relative)

The Good
  • Loved that we turned up and didn't get blown away when they kicked a couple in a row. Was a worry of mine that if we were to lose it would be because we absolutely botched it on the big stage.
  • Daniher, Charlie, Bailey, Linc and Clugga took just about every chance they had to keep us in the game. Bravo.
  • Coleman was fantastic in the first. Such a find for us going forward with Rich retiring.

The Bad
  • Just couldn't stop that overlap run. I had really hoped we could smother it and we were only able to do that in very small patches.
  • Midfield a bit of a worry, maybe we do need another to cover the transition between our older group and Ashcroft x 2

The Ugly

- Feel sick for Rayner, Zorko, Hipwood and to an extent Berry and Starce. Just terrible performances unfortunately on the biggest stage. Zorks must retire, he hasn't really fired a shot in this finals campaign. Rayner, well, not sure what to say really, I thought today would be one that he would shine. How do we get him to play a bigger role?
Rayner has stepped up immensely this year. Especially the last 4 weeks, I feel he has done more than enough and shouldn’t take to much blame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rayner has stepped up immensely this year. Especially the last 4 weeks, I feel he has done more than enough and shouldn’t take to much blame.
He was good in the first final a few weeks ago, but quiet in the preliminary and again today. It can't just be a couple of times a year.

So how do we get better?

Kiddy fitter
Payne back to pre-injury form
1 more B grade mid (preferably in addition to Ashcroft returning)
Rayner consistency
Ruck support
You lost by 4 points
Not sure it is a talent or personnel issue, more just experience and execution in big games (which you were much better at this year going all the way to the last game), and luck.
Put someone on bobby hill too

Fantastic game from your boys and played absolutely in the spirit
of the moment.
Could have gone either way.
Absolutely know how it feels to be on the wrong side of a loss so just look forward.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pies deserved to win

Could Wilmot have gone with Bobby Hill?
I did wonder why McKenna wasn't given the job. He had some great defensive efforts this finals series that I didn't realise he had in him.

Having said that we definitely improved on that front in the second, just not enough across the board.

i'm generally ok with the game. they were better. we've got glaring issues in our list. our ruckman is passive, starcevich is only just an afl player.
our back talls should be payne, gardiner, lester. our forward talls should be andrews, hippy, joe(thought he played one of his best games today).

A fully fit Payne turning entries into counter attacks with marking... that really could have been a game winner instead of Gardiner and Lester halving contests at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Back