Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Rayner needs to spend the next 6 months on a treadmill. He’s shown more than enough through the year that he would be an absolute force to be reckoned with in the middle, but he can’t sustain it.

If he gets fit we play him in the middle where he belongs and honestly that goes a long way to helping our issue today
Cam Rayner had TWO DISPOSALS in the second half, both of which he picked up in the third quarter. In the last quarter, he did not get a single possession. Not one.

There goes the ball game right there.

I am just shattered. So close. A few of our players didn't play their best game, but it happens. We are close enough that I am certain the team will use it as fuel and put in the work to take the next step next season. It could have gone either way, it just didn't go our way this time. Pies took their moments (De goey goal, Sidebottom from 50) and we missed some of our moments.
I don't think we were 'so close'. At least twice in the game they should have blown us away. 4 points was flattering. That we managed to scrap our way to the end was encouraging. They deserved to win. No hard luck stories.

I don't think we were 'so close'. At least twice in the game they should have blown us away. 4 points was flattering. That we managed to scrap our way to the end was encouraging. They deserved to win. No hard luck stories.
Can't get much closer than a kick in it.

We sat in the Sun for all but the last 5 minutes of the game... it was bloody hot. So surprised that they were running faster and longer than us, I really thought the Pies could of wilted at the backend and we would come storming over the top of them.

Jarrod Berry will really have nightmares about 2 pieces of play late in the game, the 50m to Sidebum of course and the other was a centre clearance after that where he hung on to the ball too long and got pressured into a sloppy kick forward, should have just pumped it deep straight away when he had space to steady and kick.

We were very close to the players during the parade >
384133273_10160205661344926_951820856225889454_n.jpg

376900711_10160205661884926_5838036722746597612_n.jpg

We sat in the Sun for all but the last 5 minutes of the game... it was bloody hot. So surprised that they were running faster and longer than us, I really thought the Pies could of wilted at the backend and we would come storming over the top of them.

Jarrod Berry will really have nightmares about 2 pieces of play late in the game, the 50m to Sidebum of course and the other was a centre clearance after that where he hung on to the ball too long and got pressured into a sloppy kick forward, should have just pumped it deep straight away when he had space to steady and kick.
Tbh we looked a bit tired from the get go. Shorter backup , the Brownlow distraction , the hot day ,having to get down to Melbourne etc, and face a crowd you've never played in front of before . I think that tiredness showed up at the end of quarters where we were just willing the siren to go. We did a good job to have a real shot at it late despite the way a lot of players weren't able to produce near their best.

Tbh we looked a bit tired from the get go. Shorter backup , the Brownlow distraction , the hot day ,having to get down to Melbourne etc, and face a crowd you've never played in front of before . I think that tiredness showed up at the end of quarters where we were just willing the siren to go. We did a good job to have a real shot at it late despite the way a lot of players weren't able to produce near their best.
Plus weren't we stranded on the tarmac for over an hour at Brisbane airport because of the storms on Thursday.

I bloody hate sitting on planes, the 2 hour flight back last night felt like 6 hours, the mood didn't help of course.

As does Ginnivan; an indicment that such a spud has a medal too, can’t believe he’s an AFL player but the fact they have a number of players being spoken about like that (add Cox too) speaks volumes and probably says more about our team today and how we over inflate their ability.
Nawww

Plus weren't we stranded on the tarmac for over an hour at Brisbane airport because of the storms on Thursday.

I bloody hate sitting on planes, the 2 hour flight back last night felt like 6 hours, the mood didn't help of course.
Nothing like sleeping in your own bed.

They're all distractions that add up. If we win you don't worry about it . I would've loved the extra recovery time and no travel that the Pies had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was out of contract and wanted to return to Victoria, not sure we were keeping him regardless.

His management had been talking to Essendon, but some recent discussion that he might have signed another 1 year deal up here. Regardless, ancient history.

Beams trade was more destructive because of the state we were in when we made it - we had a bit of a false season in 2014 that looked better than it was due to a few wins, our percentage was woeful. Not the time to be trading your draft picks for proven stars. Process was the problem there I think.

His management had been talking to Essendon, but some recent discussion that he might have signed another 1 year deal up here. Regardless, ancient history.

Beams trade was more destructive because of the state we were in when we made it - we had a bit of a false season in 2014 that looked better than it was due to a few wins, our percentage was woeful. Not the time to be trading your draft picks for proven stars. Process was the problem there I think.
Sort of ironic now that if we had managed to keep Crisp he'd still have his Premiership medallion today.

So many sliding doors moments in the AFL these days.

We were incredibly poor with stoppages. Our clearances vs theirs is bad viewing. Our pressure at a ball up will forever be our weakness. I really want hughy no where near these. I see him as an outside player. No explosive pace and very poor defensive player in this situations.

They went straight out with a handball inside far to often with no pressure.

This imo is our worst issue within the club. That and our weak tackling and tacking technique. Wrapping arms around the waste is not going to do anything if they don't chop the arm

They kind of did in the fourth. Their ball movement became a bit safer for period and I thought we were going to finally gain momentum and roll them. But it didn’t happen. They kept getting the ball out and getting looks.

I've learnt something - Melbourne in September is not a great place of you have allergies.
I don't even have really bad allergies but the wind, dust and pollen today is absolutely killing me.

They kind of did in the fourth. Their ball movement became a bit safer for period and I thought we were going to finally gain momentum and roll them. But it didn’t happen. They kept getting the ball out and getting looks.
It really did feel like we were getting some ascendency late in the game. Every we time we had some momentum they won the stoppage or got the next clearance easily.

TBH they just had better players around the ball where some of ours didn't play to their capacity.

But we almost made it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2023 - Collingwood vs. Brisbane Lions

Back