Grand Final ballot (er...?)

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't enter the ballot last year - and I thought this was just because I had somehow foolishly missed the deadline. I'm guessing now that I might not have even been eligible.

I just saw this on the Collingwood website, when searching for the ballot dates to make sure I didn't miss it again:

The following members will have access to Grand Final tickets, either via a guaranteed registration period or ballot registration:
  • Club 5 members via guaranteed registration period
  • Legends members via guaranteed registration period
  • Captains members via ballot registration
  • Social Club members via ballot registration
  • 10+ year consecutive members via ballot registration
So... just being a normal ~$310 a year member holder, I can't even enter a ballot to get tickets? I don't even have a chance unless I want to pay $1.5k for a package, or whatever it costs?

I find myself wishing we didn't have 71,000 members, all of a sudden.

Was this brought in last year, or this year? I remember entering the ballot the year before last.

I think this is a disgrace. I emailed the club earlier in the year when I found about it and they didn't provide a very good response.

In my opinion every single fully paid member should have a chance to get to the grand final. I understand that they want to reward the people who are pumping the cash in via the legends memberships, but that does not excuse the fact they are cutting out the lifeblood of the club which is the paid up members.

They should have a good look at things next year and work an allocation towards the ballot for next year. Even if its only 50 tickets for the 11 game+ members, at least it gives people a slim chance to get there.

I'm not sure what other clubs do with their members but I think its a slap in the face for us.

Yea I agree. I only moved to Melb halfway through the season so only got a 3game membership, in that case I don't expect to be part of a ballot, but for members that get the full season membership absolutely.
Only other way to get there is to be a corporate schmuck..

Blame the AFL for the allocation it gives to the competing clubs.

Collingwood sells memberships at different prices and the different between a captains and legends is that legends gets you a guaranteed GF ticket. We've had to cap the number of legends members in 2011 in order to leave enough for the captains and social club members. 71,000 members into the AFL GF ticket allocation doesn't go.

If you want a ticket, upgrade your membership.

It's a sad fact of life that the two competing clubs only get 16,000 tickets each for members.
I have legends membership forthis sole purpose and this year have given my seat away , free, to every H&A game for the priveledge of having access to a GF ticket....IF....Collingwood make it.

Those who feel slighted should be hammering down Vlad's door.

50,000 odd tickets go to hanger-oners and shit stains like Caro and Hutchy.

Pie Eyed and Stui summed it up

I upgraded my membership to legends (off reserved seat last year), so im guaranteed a GF ticket. It's sad that it has to be like this but it's the competition we support

It's a sad fact of life that the two competing clubs only get 16,000 tickets each for members.
I have legends membership forthis sole purpose and this year have given my seat away , free, to every H&A game for the priveledge of having access to a GF ticket....IF....Collingwood make it.

Those who feel slighted should be hammering down Vlad's door.

50,000 odd tickets go to hanger-oners and shit stains like Caro and Hutchy.

I thought the number went up to around 20K each this year, or did it go up to 16k? Because the AFL definitely released more this year for each competing club.

But you have it just about right with the 50K hangers ons, my breakup of GF day would be something like this;

Club members = 32K - 40K (only 32 if PE is right on the number)
AFL full Members of competing clubs = 8-10K (it's not a lot)
AFL full Members of non competing clubs = 12K
MCC members of competing clubs = 10K
MCC members of non competing clubs = 15K
1000 tickets to each AFL club = 18K
Corporate/sponsors/competition winners make up the rest.

It isn't great, but it's what it is, it isn't going to change dramatically ever.

Part of the CBA mentioned the AFL only want to give every AFL player 1 GF ticket instead of the 2 they currently provide. Many players are selling these tickets for a fair profit.

AFL have indicated they'll give the additional tickets to the competing clubs members.

I'm a paid up member but wont qualify for the ballot. That is how it is. Members pay more for the benefits. That's how life is.

Good luck to those that are willing to pay more.

We shouldn't be targetting the club, target the AFL and the corporates, who the AFL rake the money off.

I thought the number went up to around 20K each this year, or did it go up to 16k? Because the AFL definitely released more this year for each competing club.

But you have it just about right with the 50K hangers ons, my breakup of GF day would be something like this;

It isn't great, but it's what it is, it isn't going to change dramatically ever.
Went up to 16,000 was something like 13,200 last year

Went up to 16,000 was something like 13,200 last year
I realised after doing the maths that it had to be the lower number, simply because if it was the higher number, there wouldn't have been many left over for my last category, the corporates/sponsors etc.

It really is a low number, when you think around 40K of the people in the ground actually hold a membership that is aligned with the competing clubs in one way or another (AFL club support + club members).

I have no problems with this, reward the members paying the most its simple and logical. You pay for what you get, if you want to go in the ballet pay more.

I think this is a disgrace. I emailed the club earlier in the year when I found about it and they didn't provide a very good response.

In my opinion every single fully paid member should have a chance to get to the grand final. I understand that they want to reward the people who are pumping the cash in via the legends memberships, but that does not excuse the fact they are cutting out the lifeblood of the club which is the paid up members.

They should have a good look at things next year and work an allocation towards the ballot for next year. Even if its only 50 tickets for the 11 game+ members, at least it gives people a slim chance to get there.

I'm not sure what other clubs do with their members but I think its a slap in the face for us.
Sorry but that is just ridiculous. I've been a social club member for 10 years and I don't think I should be treated exactly the same as a first year 3 game member or even a first year 11 game member.
The current system works. It rewards the members who are paying the most money to the club. And it rewards the members who are loyal.
Deal with it.

MCC tickets don't work on the basis of club support (the idea is that the club you are supporting is the MCC). All members fees go to the MCC not the AFL, hence full members are considered equal in that sense, as opposed to the AFL which puts money into clubs depending on who you say you support, so club support members can be distinguished easily

Also, MCC doesn't work on a ballot entirely, they have a ballot for reserve seats (covering about 1/3 of the available space), everything else is walk up on the day general admission type seats (hence people lining up at 5am to get a seat)

Sorry but that is just ridiculous. I've been a social club member for 10 years and I don't think I should be treated exactly the same as a first year 3 game member or even a first year 11 game member.
The current system works. It rewards the members who are paying the most money to the club. And it rewards the members who are loyal.
Deal with it.

That's not really correct, if someone had bought a legends membership this year, having never set foot in the country, or never watched a collingwood game, they would have as much right to a guaranteed seat as a 20 year legends member and certainly more chance than someone who'd been buying 11 game memberships for a century. Paying more isn't loyalty, it's just paying more...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be that time of the year where people suddenly realise they don't have Grand Final entitlements. The Herald Sun articles last year were quite humorous, I'm expecting more of the same this year.

I'm a social club member, got to go to both GF's last year, not sure of the odds this year - with Legends membership been capped I imagine it's fairly slim.

Most of the other clubs don't have as many members as us, but I'm pretty sure all clubs have similar schemes where the more expensive classifications of memberships are guarantee a seat, others go into a ballot or have no entitlement.

FWIW I don't think it's the clubs fault - they've only got a limited of tickets to hand out. Ticketek probably wouldn't be too upset if we proposed a few more small number ballots - they'd rake in the cash with the registration fees ;) The replay had a much better atmosphere because there were a lot more club members at both ends of the ground, rather then the corporates.

Legends membership is ~$750 maybe closer to $800, Grand Final tickets this year will cost us (legend members) $295 I think, if you aren't planning to go to games and assuming the Pies don't make the grand final every year then buying one of the $1300 - $1500 GF packages on the times when we make the GF would have you way out in front.

Obviously, last year with the draw would have stung a bit!

MCC tickets don't work on the basis of club support (the idea is that the club you are supporting is the MCC). All members fees go to the MCC not the AFL, hence full members are considered equal in that sense, as opposed to the AFL which puts money into clubs depending on who you say you support, so club support members can be distinguished easily

Also, MCC doesn't work on a ballot entirely, they have a ballot for reserve seats (covering about 1/3 of the available space), everything else is walk up on the day general admission type seats (hence people lining up at 5am to get a seat)

That's not really correct, if someone had bought a legends membership this year, having never set foot in the country, or never watched a collingwood game, they would have as much right to a guaranteed seat as a 20 year legends member and certainly more chance than someone who'd been buying 11 game memberships for a century. Paying more isn't loyalty, it's just paying more...

There is awaiting list for Legends Membership, with preference given to those with existing lower memberships as Legends Members drop off.
I am not aware that you can simply jump of the boat, get processed and buy a Legends package.

The "increase" that many may be alluding to is the increase in, and this year cap on, Legends Memberships.

On the subject of it being financially better to simply buy a GF package rather than Legends Membership, this is a furphy.
My entire $875.00 (from memory)goes to the club. I pay to support the club, not some travel franchise. In return for this I can (if possible) attend 18 matches at no further cost. The fact that this year I could not attend any matches is stillno great disadvantage as I was able to allow 14 other people to attend AFL games at no cost to them (Collingwood ones no less) who would otherwise not get the experience.
At the end of the H&A season I have access to both Finals and more importantly GF tickets.

There's no way you can compare a Membership and it's year long benefits with a 4 day GF package.

Last year I was lucky enough to get GF tickets in the ballot as a Captains membership holder. This year I upgraded to Legends to ensure I got tickets. Legends membership is capped so that the GF ticket gurantee can be maintained. That measn other memebrs miss out. Money talks as always.

Unfortunately the clubs, including ours, don't pressure the AFL enough on ticket allocation. A bit of annual whinging by the odd competing club won't change anything. 18 united clubs can change anything.

Oh here we go again.....comes finals time and the complaints begin about people not being able to get GF tickets. I missed out in 2002 while holding a 'normal' membership and thought i'm never going to go through that again....so in 2003 I updgraded to a Legends membership purely for the word 'guaranteed'....and i've never looked back.

It's not the CFC fault....blame the AFL.....16,000 allocation for each competing team is appalling....but it's like this every year...so not sure why ppl are now surprised.

Well I've been a member since birth, 21 years running now but have never lived in Melbourne and only ever seen a finals game once (StK 09). So if this helps me get a ticket (if we make it), thanks CFC!

The club isnt too blame for this. I am not a legends member but I think the system the club has put in place is fair, reward the fans that have paid more for memberships. I am a season tickets member this year and as much as I would like to have a chance to go to the GF if we make it, I dont think it will be fair for someone who pays 800 to miss out. I am just hoping for someone to sell me a ticket if we make it.

Blame the AFL for the allocation it gives to the competing clubs.

Collingwood sells memberships at different prices and the different between a captains and legends is that legends gets you a guaranteed GF ticket. We've had to cap the number of legends members in 2011 in order to leave enough for the captains and social club members. 71,000 members into the AFL GF ticket allocation doesn't go.

If you want a ticket, upgrade your membership.

I agree that the AFL allocation is the key issue, however that does not excuse the club chasing the extra bit of coin from your average supporter. The pies could easily have capped the legends memberships 500 less and given those 500 additional tickets to the ballot for supporters who can't afford the extra yearly outlay.

For what its worth, I was lucky enough to attend both grand finals last year. After such a great feeling and mulling it over I decided to get two legends tickets for Christmas only to find out the cap had been reached. So, its not as easy as "if you want a ticket, upgrade your membership".

Three mates and I have Captain's membership. This is a fairly large investment for us as we all live in Sydney. Airfares are about $300 per game and shared accommodation at least $60 to $75 each per night we spend in Melbourne. Not to mention the essential add ons.

We can't make the game this weekend but hope to see the boys play 2 more games this year.

Given that we beat the Weagles on Saturday registration for the GF is to be completed next Wednesday. Do any of you know what the likelihood of success in securing tickets as a group of 4 could be? Of course we would have a reasonable idea if we knew details of the numbers of Priority 1 and 2 membership and how the allocation of the 16,000 seats are dealt with.

We didn't have suitable membership last year but decided to stump up the big bucks for a corporate ticket. Of course the total of nearly two grand all up for us disappointingly resulted in us watching the REAL grand final at a mate's place as we had no chance of securing tickets for the "people's" GF the following week. Spousal consent wouldn't stretch to another trip south, especially when the cheapest flights surprisingly jumped to over $600 a pop.

I would appreciate any wisdom or background to what the best option should be. Specifically do we all put in for a ticket individually or adopt the one in/out all in/out approach?

Many thanks.

I agree that the AFL allocation is the key issue, however that does not excuse the club chasing the extra bit of coin from your average supporter. The pies could easily have capped the legends memberships 500 less and given those 500 additional tickets to the ballot for supporters who can't afford the extra yearly outlay.

For what its worth, I was lucky enough to attend both grand finals last year. After such a great feeling and mulling it over I decided to get two legends tickets for Christmas only to find out the cap had been reached. So, its not as easy as "if you want a ticket, upgrade your membership".

I'm not sure if you are aware of the massive outcry which eventuated when the club announced it would cap Legends members in the first place.

What about those of us who had Legends in 2007?
Doesn't it seem fair that those who pay up even when the Pies are unlikely to play in the GF should get first dig when they are?
Why didn't you have Legends in 2010?

We are not talking about a small club here.

Having 30,000 tickets per club would be the ideal, and the rest distributed as the AFL sees fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final ballot (er...?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back