Grand Final ballot (er...?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry but that is just ridiculous. I've been a social club member for 10 years and I don't think I should be treated exactly the same as a first year 3 game member or even a first year 11 game member.
The current system works. It rewards the members who are paying the most money to the club. And it rewards the members who are loyal.
Deal with it.

I've been a child/concession member since 1990 and a full blown member for seven years. I feel like that's pretty loyal?

The current system rewards the members who are paying the most money and I have no problem with that. Money makes the world go round.... The problem I have is that the rank and file members who make Collingwood what they are have had their slim chance of seeing the boys in the grand final removed.

Does the current system work? Well it's hard to say because this is the first year that the ballot has been removed from your 11 game member. But, I'm guessing the pies will still roll on regardless so I suppose we can say it will.

I'll still sign up again next year, and consider my budget and the legends upgrade, but I hope if more GF tickets get released to the club in future, they think a little more of their members than their back pockets. 100 x $850 = small change for the club but giving 50,000 people a glimmer of hope come grand final would be much better.

That's me dealing with it Peter.

I'm not sure if you are aware of the massive outcry which eventuated when the club announced it would cap Legends members in the first place.

What about those of us who had Legends in 2007?
Doesn't it seem fair that those who pay up even when the Pies are unlikely to play in the GF should get first dig when they are?
Why didn't you have Legends in 2010?

We are not talking about a small club here.

Having 30,000 tickets per club would be the ideal, and the rest distributed as the AFL sees fit.

I think its very fair that those of you who paid up in 2007 should get first dig. I reiterate that the people who pay more should get guaranteed tickets. My issue is that the people who can't afford to pay more but still pay their yearly membership and go along to support the club should get some chance to attend. We should not make AFL an event that can only be attended by the rich.

I wasn't a legends member in 2010 because I could not justify spending that much money on a ticket to the footy. I don't see how that is relevant to either of our points?

The AFL distribute the tickets to maximise their profits, exactly the same way that the Collingwood Football Club do. Ultimately the game is a money making business.

I think its very fair that those of you who paid up in 2007 should get first dig. I reiterate that the people who pay more should get guaranteed tickets. My issue is that the people who can't afford to pay more but still pay their yearly membership and go along to support the club should get some chance to attend. We should not make AFL an event that can only be attended by the rich.

I wasn't a legends member in 2010 because I could not justify spending that much money on a ticket to the footy. I don't see how that is relevant to either of our points?

The AFL distribute the tickets to maximise their profits, exactly the same way that the Collingwood Football Club do. Ultimately the game is a money making business.

I was not denying that as many Members as possible should have access to tickets. I was responding to claims that Collingwood were responsible for gouging members.
They have a finite number of tickets allocated by the AFL and a huge membership, many of whom, yourself included, were clamoring for guaranteed access this season.
If it's a choice between making more money for the club and being cried down by one section of members or losing money and being cried down by another I think it's a no brainer really.

Needs to be a reward for longevity of support, full stop. I am sympathetic to Tippy and while I understand the club having limited allocation and wanting to maximise returns, if the 11 game members are frozen out entirely, you wonder if that will effect future membership figures.

I mean what would happen if the Pies membership drive turns out in the next 10 years to reach 100,000? Do we just keep jacking the price up at the top end for members who want guaranteed GF tickets?

The plebs have to be in with a sporting chance to attend. For any family on minimum wage or singles on 40k or so, they're virtually precluded from ever attending a GF. Thanks for the push along fellas but we'll leave you at the pearly gates.

Needs to be a reward for longevity of support, full stop. I am sympathetic to Tippy and while I understand the club having limited allocation and wanting to maximise returns, if the 11 game members are frozen out entirely, you wonder if that will effect future membership figures.

I mean what would happen if the Pies membership drive turns out in the next 10 years to reach 100,000? Do we just keep jacking the price up at the top end for members who want guaranteed GF tickets?

The plebs have to be in with a sporting chance to attend. For any family on minimum wage or singles on 40k or so, they're virtually precluded from ever attending a GF. Thanks for the push along fellas but we'll leave you at the pearly gates.

Lobby the Gov and get em to finance our own 100,000 seater.
Refuse to play anywhere else, ever.
Apparently we already do this, but have to play at the "G" because of the shortage of viable grounds for a side of our standing.:D

There is awaiting list for Legends Membership, with preference given to those with existing lower memberships as Legends Members drop off.
I am not aware that you can simply jump of the boat, get processed and buy a Legends package.

The "increase" that many may be alluding to is the increase in, and this year cap on, Legends Memberships.

On the subject of it being financially better to simply buy a GF package rather than Legends Membership, this is a furphy.
My entire $875.00 (from memory)goes to the club. I pay to support the club, not some travel franchise. In return for this I can (if possible) attend 18 matches at no further cost. The fact that this year I could not attend any matches is stillno great disadvantage as I was able to allow 14 other people to attend AFL games at no cost to them (Collingwood ones no less) who would otherwise not get the experience.
At the end of the H&A season I have access to both Finals and more importantly GF tickets.

There's no way you can compare a Membership and it's year long benefits with a 4 day GF package.
Apologies pie eyed, i was under the impression that Legends was open to anybody in previous years and it was only this year that they decided to implement the cap (with which comes the waiting list) because our success had led to an increase in takers

Are you saying that in, hypothetically, 2007 i wouldn't have been able to buy a legends membership without previously being whichever is the next one down for a year or so?
I'm not familiar with the process. if this is the case then they are rewarding loyalty to a degree, if it is only capped with a waiting list because we are now successful and actually have a chance to make the grand final (rather than in my hypothetical 2007, when there was no cap and certainly not as many bandwagon members trying to get a guaranteed GF seat) then i can't see how that is rewarding loyalty

Apologies pie eyed, i was under the impression that Legends was open to anybody in previous years and it was only this year that they decided to implement the cap (with which comes the waiting list) because our success had led to an increase in takers

Are you saying that in, hypothetically, 2007 i wouldn't have been able to buy a legends membership without previously being whichever is the next one down for a year or so?
I'm not familiar with the process. if this is the case then they are rewarding loyalty to a degree, if it is only capped with a waiting list because we are now successful and actually have a chance to make the grand final (rather than in my hypothetical 2007, when there was no cap and certainly not as many bandwagon members trying to get a guaranteed GF seat) then i can't see how that is rewarding loyalty

Legends was only capped after last season after the massive demand, due to guarnateed GF access.
Priority was given to other existing membership levels to upgrade to Legends ahead of any new applications and as far as I'm aware the full quota of Legends Members are either former Legends Members, renewed, or Captains and or Social club members upgrade from 2010.
Logically many who missed out applied to ensure tickets this year.
The club capping Legends allowed Captains members access and if they had not capped it then I would suggest there would be 16,000 Legends members, taking all allocated tickets.

Legends was only capped after last season after the massive demand, due to guarnateed GF access.
Priority was given to other existing membership levels to upgrade to Legends ahead of any new applications and as far as I'm aware the full quota of Legends Members are either former Legends Members, renewed, or Captains and or Social club members upgrade from 2010.
Logically many who missed out applied to ensure tickets this year.
The club capping Legends allowed Captains members access and if they had not capped it then I would suggest there would be 16,000 Legends members, taking all allocated tickets.

you are correct in the fact that legends were capped at 9000 to ensure that were some tickets left over for a ballot for other m/ship categories. however the club will not be receiving 16000 tickets for members for the GF if they make it. there are around 26000 tickets to be split between the members of the competing clubs, last year it was a bit less and coll received just over 13000 for their members as the allocation works on some sort of pro rata m/ship calculation devised by the geniuses at afl house. there will therefore be around 4000-5000 tickets for the ballot this year which i think is avail to captains and social club? categories below that can start looking at the packages being hawked around the place because there is no chance of getting a ticket from the club allocation

I thought the number went up to around 20K each this year, or did it go up to 16k? Because the AFL definitely released more this year for each competing club.

But you have it just about right with the 50K hangers ons, my breakup of GF day would be something like this;

Club members = 32K - 40K (only 32 if PE is right on the number)
AFL full Members of competing clubs = 8-10K (it's not a lot)
AFL full Members of non competing clubs = 12K
MCC members of competing clubs = 10K
MCC members of non competing clubs = 15K
1000 tickets to each AFL club = 18K
Corporate/sponsors/competition winners make up the rest.

It isn't great, but it's what it is, it isn't going to change dramatically ever.

There's also 5K for medallion club members at Etihad, and there's something similar (I think) at the G (premiership club? not sure of the name or how many in it are guaranteed seats).

There's also 5K for medallion club members at Etihad, and there's something similar (I think) at the G (premiership club? not sure of the name or how many in it are guaranteed seats).
Medallion club members hold Full AFL membership, but are also guaranteed a GF ticket no matter who is playing, so they would come out of the second lot of AFL members that I mentioned.

The AFL catered for this a few years ago by extending the AFL members area for GF day to allow for some of the extra 5K to fit into the AFL members area.

I was one of the many members who upgraded to legends late last season, and was lucky enough for us to make it through and watch two GFs.

Its not an ideal situation for everyone, but we cant get 71,000 tickets to the game, its not possible.
You have to reward those who pay the most, simple as that.

Any MCC members received confirmation of their GF ballot results yet?

I checked my card today, and it doesn't look like I got any, as no extra funds have been taken out...
Nothing here yet, wait a little bit perhaps? Can't recall how long it has taken in the past (and already closed by browser window with my transaction history in it...)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I made this thread and then totally forgot about it so I'm glad to see it's continued without me.

For the record, I was not trying to accuse Collingwood of any wrong-doing. I understand the reason for everything that's happened here. I was mainly asking if this was something that was brought in this year, or last year, and also pointing out that I think it would be ideal if at least SOME of the tickets were gettable for season ticket holders. Social club members get a bunch of other membership benefits anyway, why should they ALSO get access to the ballot if people like me don't?

Also, I'm not a bandwagon supporter. I've been an 18 game member since 2008 - a year when I got to go to about 1 game due to being fairly out of it thanks to cancer treatment during the entire football season. That may not seem like a long time (and isn't really, compared to the rest of you) but I told myself I'd buy a membership as soon as I could justify the money, and it wasn't until that year that I could (finished school, started full time work, etc). I bought the membership knowing that I wouldn't be going to many games, but I did for the same reason many others here have - to support the club.

Now, can I afford a Legends membership? Maybe. Probably not. If I can it's only because I'm still living with the folks, but as soon as I move out - likely next year - I don't think I'll be able to spend $850 on a yearly ticket. Especially when I couldn't really afford to go to awards nights and that kind of thing so having all those extras would just be wasted on me.

I might do it anyway, because I go to the footy every week that we play in Melbourne (actually I missed 2 games this year, which was odd, but there were reasons) and not going to the most important one is a bit of a let down.

Since I'm not a social or captain's member, though, when should I expect to actually get a Legends membership? 2016?

Nothing here yet, wait a little bit perhaps? Can't recall how long it has taken in the past (and already closed by browser window with my transaction history in it...)

Got a letter in the mail when I got home...

Unsuccessful in the ballot this year..

Looks like an early morning for me if the Pies are in the GF...

Got a letter in the mail when I got home...

Unsuccessful in the ballot this year..

Looks like an early morning for me if the Pies are in the GF...
Yeah i haven't had any money withdraw either...not looking promising...was going on my lonesome thought this year so probably not that big a deal, just means i'll watch it on TV with mates and beers

I'm a 3 game member - have been for a long long time. But being interstate, and the fact I work 7 days a week, means I never get to go to see the Pies.
But I still make my 'donation' to the club every year, year in year out.

Well what can I say to everyone who is complaing about not being able to go into the ballot -obviously you are only new onto the scene.
I get to go into the ballot because I am a 10+ year member. I got to go to both grand finals last year (mind you I was prety stuffed as I had to start work at 1.30am to get my jobs done before I jumped on the plane).

For all those Johnny Come Lately whingers - get back in line. There are thousands of members who have supported the club with their memberships long before you decided to join. Through the good times and the bad. Just because the Pies are looking good, you go buy a membership and expect the same priviledges as those who paid up even when we were struggling.

How many legend members are there?
Are legends pretty much guaranteed a premium seat?

Nope, no guarantee - there's more Legends members then "premium" seats.

Three mates and I have Captain's membership. This is a fairly large investment for us as we all live in Sydney. Airfares are about $300 per game and shared accommodation at least $60 to $75 each per night we spend in Melbourne. Not to mention the essential add ons.

We can't make the game this weekend but hope to see the boys play 2 more games this year.

Given that we beat the Weagles on Saturday registration for the GF is to be completed next Wednesday. Do any of you know what the likelihood of success in securing tickets as a group of 4 could be? Of course we would have a reasonable idea if we knew details of the numbers of Priority 1 and 2 membership and how the allocation of the 16,000 seats are dealt with.

We didn't have suitable membership last year but decided to stump up the big bucks for a corporate ticket. Of course the total of nearly two grand all up for us disappointingly resulted in us watching the REAL grand final at a mate's place as we had no chance of securing tickets for the "people's" GF the following week. Spousal consent wouldn't stretch to another trip south, especially when the cheapest flights surprisingly jumped to over $600 a pop.

I would appreciate any wisdom or background to what the best option should be. Specifically do we all put in for a ticket individually or adopt the one in/out all in/out approach?

Many thanks.

Last year about 75% of priority 2 members who applied in the ballot got tickets. Assume won't be too far different this year. Priority 3 can whistle dixie.

Thanks for this Dunnno4. I feel a lot better now. My only thought is whether we should go in the ballot as a group of 4 or try our chances individually. Based on last year this means that one of us will miss out!

How many legend members are there?
Are legends pretty much guaranteed a premium seat?

legends capped at 9000 this year. i am not sure whether that also includes the club 5 members who are basically legends members who have paid 5 years in advance from what i understand? but with around 26,000 tickets to split between the competing club members this year there will be around 4,000 tickets for the ballot for priority 2 members. no guarantee of a premium seat for legends, but virtually certain to be premium or prime

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final ballot (er...?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back