Preview Grand Final: Collingwood v St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

My early thoughts;

* It's the pies game to lose. If we play anywhere near our best, we win.
* Stkilda have to play more consistent, attacking football then they did tonight, 100 points will win you this one, not 75-80 like they want.
* Presti has to play if he is 100% fit. Harsh on Nathan Brown, but we are talking about a GF here, not a normal match
* It's out of Leon Davis and Luke Ball for spot number 22, the fittest player is selected, if both are 100%, Ball plays

I got Swanny for the Norm Smith at 11.00 on Thursday night (I went early lol), and I've had the pies for the flag at the same price since February, so I'm not dropping my confidence now.

Pies by 32, about 105 - 73 with Swanny the clear best player on the ground with 35 disposals and 2 goals.:D

It will happen, take the lid off, we are supporters, not players, we can talk all the shit we want all week, it makes no difference.:thumbsu:

Giddy up!! Being the only AFL supporter around allowed me to take the lid off after we beat Geelong in the H&A season.

I was nearly unbearable last week and the missus is thinking about heading out for the weekend. Probably a good move but the little boy stays. He needs to watch Collingwood win a premiership, especially at two when all the best brainwashing happens.

Make no mistake we will win this. We have been unrelenting with our pressure from round 1 and we will not stop now. StKilda will really have to come out and play for 4 quarters and that will ultimately lose them the game. Forget about their second half last week if they produce anything similiar to their first half we will have the game well and truly won coming into the break. Everyone will say it was a shit grand final, blah, 18 games at the mcg, blah blah. Personally I hope we kick 10 a quarter and humilate them.

But realistically pies by 39 after about 4 goals in junk time by the saints.

I heard somewhere that the saints think Baker has one good game in him, so they will put him straight into the GF rather than play the prelim and then be crap in the GF (everyone knows the 2nd week back is the hardest).

I don't see why the same principle can't apply to Presti. I think he should come back in, unlucky for nathan brown but theres always someone thats unlucky. It could very well be prestis last game, I have no doubt he will give absolutely everything he has got and I think we need him. Brown is the future but Presti is the now.

B: Toovey - N. Brown - Maxwell
HB: Shaw - Reid - O'Brien
C: D. Thomas - Swan - Wellingham
HF: Didak - Cloke - Beams
F: Davis - Dawes - Macaffer
FL: Jolly - Pendlebury - Ball
INT: Sidebottom - Blair - Johnson - L. Brown​

No Dal Santo in Round 16 means SQUAT!

Ablett's 40 possies in a prelim smashing proves midfielders don't have that much impact on a game. Dal Santo being there would have done nothing.

Maxwell and Cloke being there in Round 16 means we could have won by over 10 goals. Backmen and forwards have a FAR greater impact on a game than midfielders.

Friday night (and even Saturday night) proved that.

If we play like we did on Friday, then it doesn't matter what Reiwoldt, or even St.Kilda does.

We have been working on the swarm for 3 years. St.Kilda won't be able to work out a way to combat it in one week.

I remember the feelings I had goin into the GFs in 02/03 and I had no confidence I was thinking lets hope we win and they have a poor game but this years one is very different because we are playing great football and we beat everyone that we need to beat. if the preasure doesnt get to us on Saturday I am thinking there will be a 15th premiership in the club cabinet on Sunday.

Who plays on Roo?

Brown
Presti
Reid
Maxwell
Harry O

I say, Presti comes in for Goldie and then we play Brown on Kosi with Presti going to Riewoldt first, Reid playing a rebounding role? It gives us flexibility if Riewoldt gets on top, or even Kosi starts to get on top because we know Maxwell will support whoever is taking Roo.

Thoughts? It's the biggest selection decision in the game, I think.

My thoughts for what there worth: This is totaly different to 2002-03 where I believed we were massive underdogs. And like the rest of you it feels weired topping the ladder and going in favourites.
But I do believe that we win easily, about 125 to 64. St Kilda will need to control the game to much to win. St Nick will need at least 4gls in a dominating performance for them to have a chance. Stop him and we've won; its that simple.
Didak for BOG.

I must be missing something. I watched both games on the weekend and I hardly see Riewoldt doing any more than what Cloke is doing.
They should be sh***ing themselves over Cloke. Who's going to stop him, Blake?

Last week they had Dawson go on Hall and dominated :eek: then Gwilt went on him for a little bit.

Dawson will probs go on Cloke :thumbsu:

Who will take Milne? Cos he can tear teams a new one.. Reid?

Sidebottom Dawes MaCaffer
Gilbert Dawson Gwilt

Beams Cloke Didak
Goddard Fisher Jones

Wellingham Swan Thomas
Ray Montanya Peake

Shaw Brown Maxwell
Schneider Reidwoldt Gram

Toovey Reid O'Brein
Milne Kozi Blake

Jolly Pendlebury Ball
Gardnier Dal Santo Hayes

These would be my most likely match ups

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ I would probaly have O'Brien on Milne as he can keep up in terms of pace and Milne wouldnt chase his man

Would he go with him into the midfield, pretty handy in there in recent weeks?

I love the anticipation of matchups, tactics, and roles.

Ben Johnson will take Milne, it's not even worth arguing about, it will just happen.

BJ can go with TipRat where ever the "Therapist" goes, forward pocket, half forward, or even the midfield for 10 seconds like Saints supporters believe he can.

Milne has never beaten BJ in a game, EVER, and it isn't going to happen for the first time this week.

Harry will take the likes of Schneider, or even a resting mid like Montagna, Dal Santo or Goddard if they go forward.

Milne isn't even a concern when BJ is fit, the only time the little shit has worried us was when Johnson was injured.

I'd be more concerned with Schneider as the more dangerous small forward, but hey, Harry will kick his arse too.

We have everyone covered except for Riewoldt, and if Presti plays, he will at least restrict the champ a bit, which is all we will need for a comfortable win, both in the forward/defensive matchups and the game itself.

Would he go with him into the midfield, pretty handy in there in recent weeks?

I love the anticipation of matchups, tactics, and roles.
Yep, If you watch Harry play he will fit perfecly into the zone against you with that slow move across the backline bullshit you play with, If we have you nowhere to go you'll have to bomb it long to a harry o or jolly, dont think milne will challenge him in the air, the ground is where its at, with most of your forward line.

and As Long as we Kick Straight not like the 1st Game in the Proper Season we played against them not Kicking a Goal in the 2nd Half

Once again Robert Walls pissed me off with his anti-pies comments. During the saints game he was carrying on about how veristile their game plans are which will couter our forward press and I thought what? Game Plan/S?

I thought they only had one game play..if all else fails "kick it to roo"

Ben Johnson will take Milne, it's not even worth arguing about, it will just happen.

BJ can go with TipRat where ever the "Therapist" goes, forward pocket, half forward, or even the midfield for 10 seconds like Saints supporters believe he can.

Milne has never beaten BJ in a game, EVER, and it isn't going to happen for the first time this week.

Harry will take the likes of Schneider, or even a resting mid like Montagna, Dal Santo or Goddard if they go forward.

Milne isn't even a concern when BJ is fit, the only time the little shit has worried us was when Johnson was injured.

I'd be more concerned with Schneider as the more dangerous small forward, but hey, Harry will kick his arse too.

We have everyone covered except for Riewoldt, and if Presti plays, he will at least restrict the champ a bit, which is all we will need for a comfortable win, both in the forward/defensive matchups and the game itself.

Who would you rather play on Roo? Given his ability to run the legs off his opponents wouldnt Brown be a better match?

Although I dont mind if he gets marks outside 50, having Presti is would limit their ability to bomb it into him

Im not really fussed who plays on roo, our backline works well enough together to combat any forward line.

If they let Maxwell be spare man then he will come across and cut off most incoming balls.

Who would you rather play on Roo? Given his ability to run the legs off his opponents wouldnt Brown be a better match?

Although I dont mind if he gets marks outside 50, having Presti is would limit their ability to bomb it into him

Presti is still the best matchup, although he would have to be 100% fit, no bullshit going into this game.

The next best option is Ben Reid, he has the tank and the closing speed to go with Riewoldt, after all, he is coming off a smashing of Cameron Mooney.

Brown, if he plays, would be my 3rd choice, although he has slimmed down since last year and is quicker, he still doesn't seem to have either the closing speed or the endurance of the above 2.

I'd say Nick would see at least 2 opponents throughout the game though, but it's also going to be a matter of keeping the pressure up on the Saints mids so the delivery to Roo is poor, because once the ball is on the ground, Riewoldt is struggling a little bit due to missing so much footy.

I hope the Saints play that tempo style footy by chipping it in the backline. If they do that we will kill.

Guys stop Reiwoldt ,goddard,milne ,hayes and we win simple as that.

Dermie summed this up perfectly saying that the pies will win conservately,by about 30 points.

The way the whole team plays is that all our 22 go out and hunt the competition.Its not like we only go after afew players its an all out assault on the ball and destroy the competition around it,with our guys around the ball in numbers.

Stkilda won't be able to handle the full frontal pressure especially when they will try and chip the ball around,this will play right into our own hands.

No they haven't got a plan b becuse its too hard to execute another game plan unless a side has been drilled on it for ages.

So the saints will try and slow the game down and try and keep possesion of the ball ,which plays exactely into our hands.

A shallacking of the highest proportions is definately on the cards.

What is a must is that we must kick straight,and put the game beyond doubt early in the piece Say we kick 13 goals 2 behinds at half time instead of 2 goals 13 behinds,this is where it will make it a shit fight.

Kill the competition early in the piece and premiership will be a cakewalk..Pies by 50 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back