Preview Grand Final: Collingwood v St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, we need Presti inside our defensive 50, simple as that.

Kosi and Riewoldt are jumping and marking everything.

I think it all depends on our start. If we can get a 4 or 6 goal first quarter we should be good from then on.

The key to beating the Saints is scoring against them when they are struggling which opposition teams fail to do a lot of the time (see us in 1st game this year and Dogs tonight). They don't kick big scores so our periods of dominance need to include some heavy and accurate scoring.

I think if they dish up the same first half next week as they did tonight we'd make them pay more than the Doggies did.

It's weird seeing us as favourites leading into a GF. Haven't experienced that in my 38 years although some thought we were faves in 2003.

C'mon boys, you've been brilliant this year, focussed and determined - keep it up for one more week.

I think it all depends on our start. If we can get a 4 or 6 goal first quarter we should be good from then on.

The key to beating the Saints is scoring against them when they are struggling which opposition teams fail to do a lot of the time (see us in 1st game this year and Dogs tonight). They don't kick big scores so our periods of dominance need to include some heavy and accurate scoring.

I think if they dish up the same first half next week as they did tonight we'd make them pay more than the Doggies did.

It's weird seeing us as favourites leading into a GF. Haven't experienced that in my 38 years although some thought we were faves in 2003.

C'mon boys, you've been brilliant this year, focussed and determined - keep it up for one more week.

Spot On need a Big Start and Kick Accurately and Tackle like you Life Depends on it?

Who where the Clash Jumper?

How i think it will go, Saints will want to play 'saints footy' and start the game slow and we'll come out firing with another high scoring first quarter.

Weather says Saturday is gonna be Mostly Sunny. Mild. Dry MAX 23 degrees.

How i think it will go, Saints will want to play 'saints footy' and start the game slow and we'll come out firing with another high scoring first quarter.

Weather says Saturday is gonna be Mostly Sunny. Mild. Dry MAX 23 degrees.
Not here to start anything just on that weather forecast, I think that would be ideal to see both teams battle it out at full potential let's hope for that.

Not here to start anything just on that weather forecast, I think that would be ideal to see both teams battle it out at full potential let's hope for that.
I think every saint supporter would want the weather to be sunny rather than raining :D

personally i wouldnt mind a bit of rain ;)

Said this in a thread on here a few weeks back - but the only thing standing in the way of a Magpie premiership is poor goal kicking.

You guys are comfortably the best team in the comp - the pressure you put on the opposition teams coming out of the backline is immense.

Couldn't stand to see that sh1t football St Kilda play be rewarded with a flag. For the good of the game - we need a magpie flag!!

one of my mates who i was out with tonight is such an arrogant saints supporter, said st kilda were going to belt us and i said how and he didn't know, we were fairly close to punching on

Presti hasn't played for like 6 weeks. Riewoldt will be working his arse off on Saturday, his workrate will be astronomical after last years failure, think Presti can go with him for an entire game after being out for so long?

Mick needs to come up with a plan. Riewoldt is the key to the entire game, stop him, stop the Saints.
He wont have to. If we smash them in the first half, that'll be enough. When you're behind by a mile in a GF, it's hard to work up the gumption to draw yourself back into the game.

A big Leroy Brown knee right in the middle of Riewoldts back would be helpful ( accidentally of course) ;) :rolleyes: :D :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck this week guys.

I'm surrounded by Collingwood supporters @ home, but sincerely hope that you boys get up and Mick holds up the cup he strongly deserves.

One question: What appearance is this for the Woods? Their 40th or 41st? Keep hearing conflicting answers.

Both teams make it through to a grand final with fairly healthy lists and all you guys are doing is focusing on the past? Lets just look forward to what is going to be a very exciting week for both clubs.

Good luck this week guys.

I'm surrounded by Collingwood supporters @ home, but sincerely hope that you boys get up and Mick holds up the cup he strongly deserves.

One question: What appearance is this for the Woods? Their 40th or 41st? Keep hearing conflicting answers.

41st mate

For everybody who wants to know why we will beat the Aints. Tom Harley summed it up very succinctly on gameday. The St.Kilda game plan plays into ours they love chipping it around the backline and controlling the tempo.

We love sides that do this and that is why we smashed them in the H&A and why we will do the same thing again this week.

They have also proven they do not have a plan B

Go Pies

For everybody who wants to know why we will beat the Aints. Tom Harley summed it up very succinctly on gameday. The St.Kilda game plan plays into ours they love chipping it around the backline and controlling the tempo.

We love sides that do this and that is why we smashed them in the H&A and why we will do the same thing again this week.

They have also proven they do not have a plan B

Go Pies

and As Long as we Kick Straight not like the 1st Game in the Proper Season we played against them not Kicking a Goal in the 2nd Half

i have a feeling this game is gonna be dirty and ugly. the saints are gonna be the saints, and i think they might try to take out one of our key midfielders early ie. pendlebury, swan, didak, thomas etc.

they've been there last year and lost, and they are desperate to rebound - they will stop at nothing, and they'll see the opportunity to restrict our interchange rotations early..

i'm expecting they'll bring in the sniper baker for this role.. if this does eventuate and they do take someone out, i expect us to fully reciprocate and do the same.

they'll try to use gardiner and riewoldt/kosi to push forward to our half forward line so they can try to long kick over our forward press to those marking contests. we need to make sure jolly/brown/brown/reid/presti/whoever provide a contest and bring the ball to ground

not sure about the whole presti vs brown selection issue... presti is clearly the better option for riewoldt, but he's been out of the game for around a month now and riewoldt covers a lot of ground. will presti be able to keep up?

is reid an option for riewoldt?

we need our defence to stand up now more than ever. riewoldt, kosi, milne, schneider, you can't allow one of these guys to get some space and/or confidence.

all in all, i'm losing it. this can end in heartache, but can also end in adulation. unlike the grand finals of 02/03 i have a little bit of confidence in the sense that i think we're the better side and if we play to our game plan we can and should win. in 2002 and 2003 it was more fear of brisbane and hoping we countered their game plan and stars.

i have a feeling this game is gonna be dirty and ugly. the saints are gonna be the saints, and i think they might try to take out one of our key midfielders early ie. pendlebury, swan, didak, thomas etc.

If it gets "ugly", we have a man who will scare the Saints so much that they will put their tails between their legs and run back down the race.

He goes by many names, but I call him Leeroy, although the Anvil may be a more apt description of what he will do if anyone touches any of "his men" this week.

Just trust in Leeroy, he could make Allistair Lynch's 2004 GF performance seem timid if Stkilda start "shit".

they've been there last year and lost, and they are desperate to rebound - they will stop at nothing, and they'll see the opportunity to restrict our interchange rotations early..

i'm expecting they'll bring in the sniper baker for this role.. if this does eventuate and they do take someone out, i expect us to fully reciprocate and do the same.

I've got the exact same feeling. The Saints will do anything they can to win, and I have no doubt dirty tactics will be used, if Baker comes back he'll be gunning to take out some of our players 100% guaranteed, so the question is what do we do then? I like the idea of unleashing the Anvil to use the full brunt of his physicality but there is only so much one man can do. The whole team needs to be prepared for some cheap shots on Saturday, they will come, thick and fast, hopefully the umpires actually have their eyes open this time and don't allow another Stevie J type incident.

I've got the exact same feeling. The Saints will do anything they can to win, and I have no doubt dirty tactics will be used, if Baker comes back he'll be gunning to take out some of our players 100% guaranteed, so the question is what do we do then?
Continue to play the ball just like in the second quarter of the 1990 Grand Final, and bust the game open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back