Grand Final Rematch: Hawthorn vs Fremantle - Who will win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The winner of this game will deservedly be Premiership favourites for this year.

Even if we manage to win I wouldn't say it changes anything in regard to the premiership, given the Hawks are likely to be more undermanned than us.

If the Hawks win with a few out, well that will be a pretty ominous sign.

Freo.

They will be keen to redeem themselves after last years GF and won't have the nerves that were troubling them in their last game. Freo's defence and Pavlich will have a good day with Hawks injuries and Buddy leaving.

grand-final-umpiring-lineup-named

Could be up to 11 changes. MATTHEW Nicholls, Simon Meredith and Brett Rosebury not named.
Damn.

Freo 100+

On paper Dockers; Hawks not quite clicking at the moment. However, Hawthorn are one of those sides that usually finds a way to win. There are games last year when they were clearly dominated and yet managed to inch out a victory just due to them being them. So Hawthorn will probably win.

You were very fumbly last night, although the extremely wet conditions didn't help. I think we'll win by 10 points, we have an outstanding record against Freo and will be extremely hard to beat at the MCG.

Our kicking and marking has been way off the pace all pre-season and against the Pies too. But we'll see. Looking forward to a real test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good time for Freo to get the Hawks. I think the young players for Hawthorn may be shown up by a side that is consistently good over four quarters, leaving moot the chance for a Burgoyne or Rioli to steal the show late on with their class. '

What will be interesting is how the sides approach the match, in particular the WA team, if they see some soft spot in the Hawks, as Essendon showed up.

Hawthorn changes from the GF:

Out: 3xAA, Dual Coleman and No1 KPF, In: Raw 3rd gamer
2xAA, Norm Smith and No1 KPD, In: 185 cm Melbourne reject to play CHB
4xB&F, 2xAA No1 Mid, In: 4th game mid
3xAA captain and No2 mid In: ? (VFL depth player)
B&F winner and No3 mid, In: Soft HBF'er coming back from a knee reco.
Best mid sized defender, In: undersized, raw 2nd gamer
250+ game BP In:20 game BP
First ruck In: First ruck

Freo will also have the extra motivation as the vanquished grand finalist. If they can't beat Hawthorn with 3 of their 4 best defenders and their 3 best mids out (particularly with the form Sandi is in), it will develop into a psychological edge (ala Geelong - Hawthorn)

Last edited:
Freo are a tough team to beat at the best of times and whilst I hate the 'we have more out than you so excuse excuse' line with a passion as both teams will have 22 players, it's with nothing but respect for Freo that I believe they'll be too good for us this time around. It will be a good learning experience for some of our newer, less experienced guys to come up against such a well drilled, heavily defensive side too - the more different game styles they play against the better.

Sharking Sandilands' taps is going to be easier said than done this time around, the bloke is in ripping form at the minute!

Am thankful we snared the 4points on Friday as, should Freo defeat us, going 2-1 seems a hell of a lot better than going 1-2.

TL;DR reckon our boys will give it a good shake and hopefully can get the job done, but reckon Freo will be too good on the night.

Last edited:
excuses already?

Ha, yeah you won't hear me talking about injuries after the match - I hate that!

But, in a thread asking who will win I was highlighting why I think Freo will reverse the result of the GF. Extra motivation (as the vanquished), a midfield fed by Sandilands which will get right on top and playing a team full of inexperienced holes to be exploited.

It seems like there is an argument over which team is the underdog for this match. Both lots of supporters seem nervous.

Im tipping the hawks by just (1-2 goals). Its in the MCG and the hawks were tested against essendon. If this was at Subi, freo would of belted them.

That said the main winner will be Andrew Demtriou as he will announce mid week this game will be shifted to Tasmania.

It seems like there is an argument over which team is the underdog for this match. Both lots of supporters seem nervous.

One of the peculiarities of BF. Often happens before an important game. I believe it is a ploy by supporters to justify a loss and/or magnify a victory.

If it's the case that the Hawks are unfurling their premiership flag on friday night you'd think our lads would be pretty fired up from the reminder, There's some incentive right there.

I don't think there's an underdog here, it's a genuine 50/50. I can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back