Greatest upsets of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs over Dons in 2000
Melbourne over West Coast in 1998

Melbourne over Essendon last year was great but: A) Melbourne wasn't as bad as it is now, and, B) Essendon wasn't as good as it is now. Also, Essendon would have lost to any team post round 10 last year. Lost the plot after their strong start.

1963 Fitzroy over Geelong. Geelong won the premiership that year Fitzroy won 1 game

Fitzroy's captain and best player Kevin Murray was away on State of Origin duty that day too.

The biggest Geelong-related upset I can think of is Round 15, 2011 against Essendon. Geelong was 13-0 and absolutely cruising to a top two spot, while Essendon was in freefall (the game was played 2 July and their last win was on 14 May), was missing Watson and was coming off a massive hiding against Hawthorn the previous week. After a quick start by Geelong, Essendon got their noses in front by quarter time and led the rest of the way.

Hawks v Freo in 2001. Hawks 3rd, Freo winless (0-17), Hawks at home (albeit at Docklands), led by 40 odd points early in the third and got overrun. I can't think of a bigger one than that.

Last edited:
WC Comeback against Geelong in 2006 - couple of players out, away at Skilled Stadium, should have had no chance to win the game, kept coming back and coming back... Up there in our top 10 victories ever. Huge performance.

Dogs/Dons, 2000 ... The Doggies flood was amazing. From memory, the Dons had not lost a game all season, including pre-season, up until R20 (or whatever round it was) dropping the one game before rolling through the GF.
Dockers/Hawks and Dockers/Crows Docker's wins in 2001, all two of them, were also massive upsets. After sacking Drummy mid season, it took about another 8 games to notch a win ... and bizarrely it was an away game against the Hawks. In the last game of the season they managed to get over Adelaide at home. Sadly, I went to about 12 games that year but was overseas for both wins ...

But the Freo/Melbourne match at the MCG in 1999 stands out in my mind, purely due to an article in the Oz. It was probably Freo's first Friday night games, and the Oz wrote something like "If these guys can't beat Freo, under lights at the MCG then they should be playing marbles". Modra kicked 10 goals and Freo romped away with a massive win.

WC Comeback against Geelong in 2006 - couple of players out, away at Skilled Stadium, should have had no chance to win the game, kept coming back and coming back... Up there in our top 10 victories ever. Huge performance.

not to get in the way of blowing your own horn, but that was hardly an upset. West Coast went into the game as favourites.

we still played finals that season, so we weren't a bad side

wouldn't say the game itself was a big upset, but it's big looking back on Essendon's season as a whole

Bulldogs were a good side. I like this match because the Bombers were undefeated and both teams played great footy on the night. Before the Lions and Geelong , Essendon were the greatest side I had ever seen (albeit for 2 seasons only).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On reflection, the fact that Sydney (2-5 at the time) & St Kilda (1-7) were the only two clubs to get over Carlton in 1995 was quite out there.

West Coast beating Brisbane in 2002 was a big shock at the time as well. Whilst West Coast had improved a lot since 2001, Brisbane had won 20 straight and were gunning for the all time winning streak record. Not sure many picked a young West Coast team would be the ones to knock them off.

There was no such thing as State of Origin, in Kevin Murray's day.

How about Freo v Geelong in the Elimination Final, 2012.

Don't think many finals can qualify as major upsets, as both teams have shown enough to be in the top 8. Not to mention Freo's last half of the season was fantastic. It was a bit of an upset, but no where as big as some others mentioned here.

The "Basketball Match" as Sheeds called it. Richmond were also well undermanned in the game and given no chance.
Which is an incorrect insult.
In basketball there's a shot clock to try and speed the game up.
Richmond played keepings off all game.
Should've been called netball. No shot clock there and can pass at hearts content.

Which is an incorrect insult.
In basketball there's a shot clock to try and speed the game up.
Richmond played keepings off all game.
Should've been called netball. No shot clock there and can pass at hearts content.
Still remains the most boring game of football I've ever seen my side play, and one of the most boring games I've ever seen, period. Horrible game, but a huge win.

There was no such thing as State of Origin, in Kevin Murray's day.

How about Freo v Geelong in the Elimination Final, 2012.

Not really. For one thing you'd beaten us the only time we'd faced off that year, and it wasn't like we finished top 2 or even top 4. We had poor losses spread throughout 2012 and the Elimination final was very similar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatest upsets of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back