Greatest upsets of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure the Bears beat Hawthorn either in the late 80s or early 90s, of course when the Hawks were awesome and the Bears were shit. And Fitzroy beating West Coast in the last round one year, was a redundant result but still a huge upset.

They did. Beat them around Round 20ish, 1989. Amazingly enough the same round West Coast easily beat Geelong.

They did. Beat them around Round 20ish, 1989. Amazingly enough the same round West Coast easily beat Geelong.

I think that was the same round when Qantas went on strike, and both Geelong and Hawthorn had to make alternate arrangements to get to Perth and Brisbane respectively. I remember reading Geelong had to charter a plane to Perth that didn't arrive until about 2am the morning of the game.

I think that was the same round when Qantas went on strike, and both Geelong and Hawthorn had to make alternate arrangements to get to Perth and Brisbane respectively. I remember reading Geelong had to charter a plane to Perth that didn't arrive until about 2am the morning of the game.
Meh - 2001 Ansett collapses and Brisbane need alternative arrangements to get to the Grand Final...

WC Comeback against Geelong in 2006 - couple of players out, away at Skilled Stadium, should have had no chance to win the game, kept coming back and coming back... Up there in our top 10 victories ever. Huge performance.

Too bad pretty much everyone beat us down at Skilled that year. We also finished 10th on the ladder from memory. + You guys won the flag?? Really that much of an upset?? I'd say not.

The margin (86pts) which Collingwood beat Geelong by 2 months into 2008 was a massive shock at the time, same with WCE beating Adelaide by 80+ in Rnd 17 2006.

But the real pure upsets have to be away wins imo. Occasionally a top side will lose away to a plucky side, but winning away against a juggernaut is the real upset. The Brisbane win over WCE in 2007 was a big shock at the time, but WCE were a bit shaky mid-season, and Brisbane in hindsight hit some decent form towards the end of 2007, smashing Collingwood and J.Brown hitting amazing form.

Too bad pretty much everyone beat us down at Skilled that year. We also finished 10th on the ladder from memory. + You guys won the flag?? Really that much of an upset?? I'd say not.

North this year are reminding me of Geelong 06. Maybe a little further back in the development curve, but I still sense big things for the Kangaroos.

Terry Wallet produced a coaching master class when a woeful Richmond played 'basketball' and beat a juggernaut in Adelaide. Maybe 2006?

Was probably one of the best tactical upsets i've ever witnessed.

Richmond over the Crows a few years back.

Was thinking the same game. Was 05/06 for memory. Wallace played a keepings off style game plan, and caused a massive upset. Many people were even tipping Adelaide as the premiership favourite.

I remember that was during the "Victorian football crisis"

North this year are reminding me of Geelong 06. Maybe a little further back in the development curve, but I still sense big things for the Kangaroos.

Really? 2006 was an injury ravaged stutter from Geelong who had performed well deep into September the two years prior, which many people forget. They had a list of emerging young superstars. It's hard to put a bead on North, but I don't see much of Geelong 2006 about them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that the game in '06? Snorefest really.

For me Melb vs Ess in 2012. Hasn't seemed to really inspire the club since then.

Exactly why it was the biggest upset. Richmond were absolutely committed to the shutdown game plan that day and needed to as Adelaide a genuinely great side.

Melbourne vs Essendon is overrated as an upset, for one Essendon last year weren't that good a side, its was in the wet (going to be low scoring) and Melbourne had beaten us the previous two times ever when they were poor.

StKilda v Hawthorn at Waverley Park in 1999. StKilda were 5th at the time & the Hawks 12th

Pretty sure the Saints were leading by 63 points at half time & managed to get beaten... Given the score status of the game at half time & the teams respective positions on the ladder, this was an epic upset :(

It was 63 points just after qtr time! Hawthorn kicked 10 goals in the 3rd to come from nowhere. I will never forget that game.

Adelaide v Hawthorn in 91 would have to be very close. Completely smashed us.

I remember in 1983 when Footscray defeated Carlton in Round 2 by 17 points. Carlton were reigning premiers, had beaten us by 129 points in our last meeting, and we had been 1982 wooden spooners with only 3 victories.

We made a prelim in '04 and a semi in '05, which I think some people forget. This was with a young list. I don't know if I agree, not sure if the talent is there.

Hawks over Brisbane in 05

Our first under Clarkson, against the previous years grand finalist

Did brisbane wear a Fitzroy jumper this game? if so this was the game I was thinking of. Was watching it at the local footy club and everyone was in total shock that we won.

Fitzroy in 1978 finished fourth last, winning only eight games for the season. Two of those wins came against the 1978 premiers, the Hawks, by 1 points - that's right, twice by 1 point!!

Did brisbane wear a Fitzroy jumper this game? if so this was the game I was thinking of. Was watching it at the local footy club and everyone was in total shock that we won.
That's the one

Having trouble posting the link to YouTube
round 4 2005
Hawthorn 115
Brisbane 69

Fitzroy beat West Coast in the last round of 1991. Was last v first.

Extraordinary game. Fitzroy looked every bit the wooden spooners for the first half and out of nowhere went ballistic in the third quarter. Brett Stephens BOG and kicked the winning goal if memory serves.

this...Bombers looked set to go undefeated all season until the Doggies shock win over them

I remember Steven Quartermain calling that result before the match. I thought he was nuts.

That's the one

Having trouble posting the link to YouTube
round 4 2005
Hawthorn 115
Brisbane 69

Our fourth consecutive interstate trip. They were redeveloping the Gabba at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatest upsets of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back