Roast Grumpy Old Thread II - the grumpiness continues

Remove this Banner Ad

I got one from Music Lily and two from Fleor. They are all plastic ones, but look and feel very decent. Can't quibble at the price either. I think I'm just waiting on a set of humbucker shaped P90s and I'm good to go.
Some of the Bare Knuckle Pickups humbucker P90s seem pretty sweet (not cheap).

Some of the Bare Knuckle Pickups humbucker P90s seem pretty sweet (not cheap).
These will go into a squier so I'll go for respectable. If it was a fender then we'd go to the better option. I'm helping my son to learn to strip and rebuild guitars and he can customise them to suit himself for fun and education. My rule is that he has to pick the components, work out the wiring (I'll help a bit with this as we're going to get fancy with some serial / parallel plus coil splitting), identify the pot impedances, tone cap values and so-on, he will do the soldering and assemble the whole thing. I did get a genuine SD invader which will be the cherry on top. That also includes fitting locking tuners and doing a fret polish.

All of the squiers are in great shape, all have very nice necks and well finished frets (but who can resist making them sparkle).

He has some nice guitars already including an Ibanez SA570 (FR trem), a Shechter and an explorer with fishmans so the strats will all deliver something a bit different tone-wise.

Good luck Nate
Currently have a lawyer sorting out something for me, starting at $500/hr
Hopefully all done by Christmas but I am sure they string things out to rip us off more
There's a new BMW model coming out later this year Emma. Keep an eye on the billed hours.

Waiting for those P90s. Got a delivery conformation message at 6AM Saturday but nothing on my door step.

Searched around outside. Nothing.

Checked my security camera footage. I could see myself searching around outside, could see the cat every time it entered the capture zone. But there was no van or delivery driver in my driveway at any time.

Submitted a request for refund to Ali Express...

Now it's hard waste time at my place and I do have a pile on my nature strip, as does everybody else up and down the street. This morning I decided to toss out some old blunt hedge clippers and a couple of other things I was half thinking of keeping. As there have been vultures combing through the junk, I decided to tidy up the stack as crap was scattered far and wide. It was then I found a small box with my name and address on it laying on the lawn amongst the stuff scattered around.

I've cancelled the Ali Express request for refund.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the best Kos
How many Covid vaccines have you had

2nd time i had it, dont recall it being as bad last time, yesterday i literally felt like i had been driven over with a truck. Every joint and muscle was aching , today bit better, just a few joimts with previous injuries aching and feel as i have my head in a vice and barbed wire in the throat.

Last edited:

2nd time i had it, dont recall it being as bad last time, yesterday i literally felt like i had been driven over with a truck. Every joint and muscle was aching , today bit better, just a few joimts with previous injuries aching and feel as i have my head in a vice and barbed wire in the throat.
Hopefully you will get over it quickly
Interesting in our house my wife & I have had Covid once, our daughter who lives with us has never had it but her 14 year old son who lives with us has had it 5 times
Impossible to follow

Hopefully you will get over it quickly
Interesting in our house my wife & I have had Covid once, our daughter who lives with us has never had it but her 14 year old son who lives with us has had it 5 times
Impossible to follow
You got that right, both times i got it the wife never, and when she got it i didnt, this time really stumped me because i really didn't have much close contact with anyone symtomatic hence initial thoughts it was flu. Even at work we were down to a skeleton crew due to the long weekend and i was working pretty exclusively out of our office alone, trying to isolate as much as i can from her as we have an interstate wedding to attend.

Also she had an oppo recently so is limited to what she can lift so i havnt escaped firewood duties.

Before Hojuman chimes in, this grumpy update is not for him. I reckon koshari will be sympathetic - and I need it.

I have a bunch of Shelly switches in my place behind quite a few light switches. They are the dukz nutz as we can turn on and off lights from almost anywhere (well, I can - I'm not sure if the other half actually uses the new switches around the place).

Anyway, two shellys stopped working yesterday - a 4 way and a 2 way. As they have wifi and a webserver built in I was able to get into one of them and I could see it was doing all of the right things but it's a 4 way and only 2 of its' switches were performing the actions I'd programmed. I saw there was a firmware update available so I loaded that and damn! The original two switches stopped working and the other two were now OK. I must have rebooted the damn thing a dozen times.

Moving on to the 2-way switch. I couldn't access it in any way. Now they do have a reset button but I wasn't keen to remove switchplates etc. so I spent ages trying to nut it out. That included rebooting the wifi router etc. No luck.

After about 4 hours I realised that about 6 months ago something similar happened when I was away for a weekend. I copped an abusive call from the other half because here laptop couldn't access the internet. On that occasion, I rung my son and got him to turn off all of the access points around the house and that fixed the problem in about 2 minutes.

Sheepishly, I did that tonight and everything went back to normal in an instant. One of the A/P's (a TP-Link wifi 6 router in AP mode) seemed to be the culprit. Everybody is happy now except me, as I took hours to even consider that as the cause, when previously with the same symptoms I nailed it in minutes.

To think... I could have spent that time more constructively by moaning about the friggin' umpires in the collingwood match on Sunday. That would have been far more productive.

Anyway, Shelly switches are good.

Before Hojuman chimes in, this grumpy update is not for him. I reckon koshari will be sympathetic - and I need it.

I have a bunch of Shelly switches in my place behind quite a few light switches. They are the dukz nutz as we can turn on and off lights from almost anywhere (well, I can - I'm not sure if the other half actually uses the new switches around the place).

Anyway, two shellys stopped working yesterday - a 4 way and a 2 way. As they have wifi and a webserver built in I was able to get into one of them and I could see it was doing all of the right things but it's a 4 way and only 2 of its' switches were performing the actions I'd programmed. I saw there was a firmware update available so I loaded that and damn! The original two switches stopped working and the other two were now OK. I must have rebooted the damn thing a dozen times.

Moving on to the 2-way switch. I couldn't access it in any way. Now they do have a reset button but I wasn't keen to remove switchplates etc. so I spent ages trying to nut it out. That included rebooting the wifi router etc. No luck.

After about 4 hours I realised that about 6 months ago something similar happened when I was away for a weekend. I copped an abusive call from the other half because here laptop couldn't access the internet. On that occasion, I rung my son and got him to turn off all of the access points around the house and that fixed the problem in about 2 minutes.

Sheepishly, I did that tonight and everything went back to normal in an instant. One of the A/P's (a TP-Link wifi 6 router in AP mode) seemed to be the culprit. Everybody is happy now except me, as I took hours to even consider that as the cause, when previously with the same symptoms I nailed it in minutes.

To think... I could have spent that time more constructively by moaning about the friggin' umpires in the collingwood match on Sunday. That would have been far more productive.

Anyway, Shelly switches are good.
Yeah having a bad actor on the network isnt good,

I had an old router i was using as a switch and access point. It was originally the gateway but eoukd lock up jo i rejigged things, it looked to be fineuntill 3 days after we went yo wa recently when i lost the camera feed from the barn and stockyard cameras,

This also meant the wifes parents inlaws lost their internet so helens dad was grumpy he had no interner til we got back. Anyway when i did get back i checked the logs and said swutch had some ipv6 function enabled that was causing all sorts of traffic. Disabled it and it hasnt locked up since.

Yeah having a bad actor on the network isnt good,

I had an old router i was using as a switch and access point. It was originally the gateway but eoukd lock up jo i rejigged things, it looked to be fineuntill 3 days after we went yo wa recently when i lost the camera feed from the barn and stockyard cameras,

This also meant the wifes parents inlaws lost their internet so helens dad was grumpy he had no interner til we got back. Anyway when i did get back i checked the logs and said swutch had some ipv6 function enabled that was causing all sorts of traffic. Disabled it and it hasnt locked up since.
FB_IMG_1718855915617.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Grumpy Old Thread II - the grumpiness continues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back