Roast Grumpy Old Thread II - the grumpiness continues

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, the opposite to the US light switches.
Apparently that's due to the Coriolis effect I think (gosh, I hope I spelled that right or Nate7 will be on to it like a flash).

Hojuman these things fit in BEHIND a regular switch. Just get your sparky to install them. You don't even know they are there one they are inserted...
1718951185830.png

ferball the shelly will go behind your switches as well (if the hole in the wall is big enough). I reckon that it would be cool to have google adapted Bakelite switches!

Apparently that's due to the Coriolis effect I think (gosh, I hope I spelled that right or Nate7 will be on to it like a flash).

Hojuman these things fit in BEHIND a regular switch. Just get your sparky to install them. You don't even know they are there one they are inserted...
View attachment 2025624

ferball the shelly will go behind your switches as well (if the hole in the wall is big enough). I reckon that it would be cool to have google adapted Bakelite switches!
Correct spelling!
Distance from the equator dictates amount of deviation when allowing for the CE.

I could go on for hours about how it's used, but you'd go to sleep.

Flick - light comes on
Flick - light goes off

Easy 🙄
Gotta say i agree, working in automation and process control has taught me kiss is the principal for mission critical stuff. If i was to automate anything i would use modbus rather than any wireless based transport layer. Modbus has been going strong since the 70s , its open licenced now and virtually all vendors use it.

Gotta say i agree, working in automation and process control has taught me kiss is the principal for mission critical stuff. If i was to automate anything i would use modbus rather than any wireless based transport layer. Modbus has been going strong since the 70s , its open licenced now and virtually all vendors use it.

Absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but feel your sincerity 🙂

Theres 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that dont.
I like it!

My first major programming job was in Fortran and it involved re-writing a program that had been originally written onto punch-cards, and when printed onto 132 column fan-fold it came out to about 1500 to 2000 sheets. I was tasked to re-write it so it would run on a more modern computer. It had a routine that did a huge amount of number crunching but using a base 11 numbering system.

There were two comments in the entire suite of software. I recall them distinctly...

Comment If there is a tape input error the printer will print 100 pages of # characters. That will stand out like dogs balls.

Comment The following routine uses a base 11 numbering system. If you cant work that out get another job.

The bloke that write the software had moved on and was only available for assistance at consultant rates and when his new employer allowed him to take calls so I was pretty much on my own.

The base 11 routine would have been about 500 pages in its own right I estimate.

Then it struck me - just use Hex. That's built in so I don't need an external routine.

I used to live and breath hex and binary Kosh.

Not now. I have forgotten almost everything I ever knew.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Grumpy Old Thread II - the grumpiness continues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back