Guess who now claims it's in the best interests of footy to let Port use the shed

Remove this Banner Ad

Why?

What about the proposal to have two sides, basically a North / South or East / West split, with both sides having a number of SANFL feeder clubs?

I think it may have been North, Centrals, Eagles & Norwood on one side, and the rest on another.

Why would that not have worked?

Because the Crows had already been in the league for 6 years and the majority of those supporters had become Crows supporters. Would you have jumped off the Crows to support the '2nd Crows' because your SANFL club was loosely affiliated with it? Would anyone on this board? I think the question has been asked before and the majority of people said they would have continued supporting the Crows. It may have worked if both clubs were new and entering the league at the same time.

I just dont see where the support would have come from. Port had a very clear advantage in having clearly the biggest supporter base and the most succesful history. The PAFC was ready to go. The Port supporters were ready to go. I just dont know where this 2nd side would have found regular 30k crowds from. Take out the Crows supporters, take out the Port supporters (as in all seriousness, very few would have jumped on this other side) and it wouldnt leave a whole lot left.

Everyone loves to bag Ports crowds, but Im yet to see any serious evidence that a 2nd composite side that was affiliated to noone in particular would go close to matching what Port has done so far, let alone achieve more.

It's no surprise to me. The reason Crows got entry over Port in the first place is because they needed a team that everyone would support. All SANFL fans basically would've avoided the games as they are a hated club to the majority.

Hang on; you're talking about Port Adelaide NOT Port Power;)
There is a difference you know.

You have football park as a training facility and home base. And doesnt that stick in your cruet? Come match day you have no more hold on it than we do.
I dunno, I'd suggest all interstaters consider AAMI as the home of the mighty Adelaide Crows and that Port mob reside at Alberton.
Right or wrong that irks you too doesnt it? :D

I dunno, I'd suggest all interstaters consider AAMI as the home of the mighty Adelaide Crows and that Port mob reside at Alberton.
Right or wrong that irks you too doesnt it? :D

I'd actually suggest most interstaters consider a Port game at AAMI as a Port home game... so no that doesn't irk me.

What irks me is people suggesting that we should not be able to have a match day presence at a ground owned by a neutral thid party (SANFL).

I'd suggest in time work will be done to rectify this - especially with Bucky there understanding of the cause.

Just wondering why all these port supporters seem to spend so much time on the crows board. No-one on the port site can spell??

If the Crows are building it with their own money then I agree Port should have nothing to do with it. If it is the SANFL building it then it is more than fair that the question be asked that it be a joint bar/pub/whatever. If Port wish to have something on the same premises then there is no reason why the SANFL should knock it back. Fair is fair.

Personally Im not keen on the idea of a joint one. I assume profits would go straight to the SANFL and not the clubs. Id rather Port fans go back to the Port club. What would happen after Showdowns? Cant imagine it being too friendly an atmosphere, especially after a spiteful clash on field.

It also isnt 'suddenly everyone at Port wants in on it'. Its one article written by a journalist with no quotes from anyone at Port Adelaide saying they want a part of it.

First class comment Macca. :thumbsu:

Totally agree with these sentiments.

We sell 38,000-40,000 tickets each week, and the crows sell 52,500 each week.

Seeing theres about a 60:40 split of fans, do the math!!! We are doing alright when we get 30,000 at a game, seeing the crows get about 44,000 on average.

please explain?

making things up isn't a very compelling start to your argument.

please explain?

making things up isn't a very compelling start to your argument.

Last season we had 36,000 Members. Given that approximately 2,000 show up from the other team and people just wanting to go to the game we are looking at around 38,000 tickets sold per week.

Now once you take out the AAMI stadium category 1 members that are more Crows than port, you are left with about 32 or 30,000. Then given no shows probably looking at around 30,000 per game, which is what we average depending on the time.

So just like you sell out but the Port AAMI members dont show either do the crows AAMI members. This isn't made up, it is fact! We sell plenty of tickets so ultimately it doesn't matter if they dont show, but it'd be better for our club to entice more.

Last season we had 36,000 Members. Given that approximately 2,000 show up from the other team and people just wanting to go to the game we are looking at around 38,000 tickets sold per week.

Now once you take out the AAMI stadium category 1 members that are more Crows than port, you are left with about 32 or 30,000. Then given no shows probably looking at around 30,000 per game, which is what we average depending on the time.

So just like you sell out but the Port AAMI members dont show either do the crows AAMI members. This isn't made up, it is fact! We sell plenty of tickets so ultimately it doesn't matter if they dont show, but it'd be better for our club to entice more.

fact?

you've included category 1 members in your calculations.

no, sorry.

want another crack at all that ??????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because the Crows had already been in the league for 6 years and the majority of those supporters had become Crows supporters. Would you have jumped off the Crows to support the '2nd Crows' because your SANFL club was loosely affiliated with it? Would anyone on this board? I think the question has been asked before and the majority of people said they would have continued supporting the Crows. It may have worked if both clubs were new and entering the league at the same time.

I just dont see where the support would have come from. Port had a very clear advantage in having clearly the biggest supporter base and the most succesful history. The PAFC was ready to go. The Port supporters were ready to go. I just dont know where this 2nd side would have found regular 30k crowds from. Take out the Crows supporters, take out the Port supporters (as in all seriousness, very few would have jumped on this other side) and it wouldnt leave a whole lot left.

Everyone loves to bag Ports crowds, but Im yet to see any serious evidence that a 2nd composite side that was affiliated to noone in particular would go close to matching what Port has done so far, let alone achieve more.

Macca I totally agree with you if the SANFL made a Crows Mk2 you are robbing Peter to pay Paul. After 1990 the Port supporters were not going to follow any concept not involving the Port Adelaide Football Club, so unless the SANFL came up with some grand plan that would have had the backing of the Port Adelaide supporters it wouldnt have worked IMO. I can't see where the supporters would have come form except from diluting down Adelaide's current supporter base by assembling a team that noone else would have really wanted.

The big question is where would have the support come from ? Considering that there are about 10k-12k people that go to the SANFL after 1991, I just dont see how a market was there for another composite side.

Long long term it might have worked but in the short term it would have been a potential nightmare.

Port was the only option there was a genuine supporter base ready to go and I have heard though its all heresay that the SANFL are somewhat disappointed by the financial and crowd numbers that Port are doing, but it wouldnt have been any better with anyone else.

I'd actually suggest most interstaters consider a Port game at AAMI as a Port home game... so no that doesn't irk me.

What irks me is people suggesting that we should not be able to have a match day presence at a ground owned by a neutral thid party (SANFL).

I'd suggest in time work will be done to rectify this - especially with Bucky there understanding of the cause.

Lets be honest and realistic here, noone has said that Port cant build facilities of their own. Rucci is claiming that the AFC should pay for the facilities and then let Port use them "for the good of football" after their games which is just rediculous. I didnt see Port doing things for the good of football when they negotiated to have the number of Crows training sessions on AAMI stadium reduced to one night a week even though Port are only using it one night a week.

Realistically though there is no way known that Port will spend about 2-3 million to build facilities at AAMI and have it staffed when the also have alberton. What they should be focussing on is how to get these supporters to come back to Alberton after the game. I am not sure say you are a just a standard season ticket holder for Port do they charge you to get into the club or is everyone welcome there back after the game ??

Trigg made it clear today, what the AFC pays for and builds will only be for the AFC supporters so if Port want something there they will have to bulld it, but I cant see it being financially feasible especially when they have alberton.

Yet it's your club that is talking about the difficulty of selling season tickets and are now looking at the corporate world to make up the difference.

Lets be honest and realistic here, noone has said that Port cant build facilities of their own.
OK - I thought some people were.

Rucci is claiming that the AFC should pay for the facilities and then let Port use them "for the good of football" after their games which is just rediculous.
Agreed. But I interpereted his comments as the SANFL working to put something together.

I didnt see Port doing things for the good of football when they negotiated to have the number of Crows training sessions on AAMI stadium reduced to one night a week even though Port are only using it one night a week.
I dont recall this happening, how long ago ? Also I thought we only trained there one night a week in weeks we were playing at home.... shows how closely I follow training.

Realistically though there is no way known that Port will spend about 2-3 million to build facilities at AAMI and have it staffed when the also have alberton. What they should be focussing on is how to get these supporters to come back to Alberton after the game. I am not sure say you are a just a standard season ticket holder for Port do they charge you to get into the club or is everyone welcome there back after the game ??
We spent hundreds of thousands there last year building a faciity, and I'd imagine if the research indicated it would pay for itself the club wouldnt be concerned with building something - however I think the preferred solution would be to have access to something like the crows bar (if you were to build your own) that wasn't a permanent port thing (which wouldnt go down to well with the Crows)

As for getting supporters back to Alberton, even with effort I'm sure you would acknowledge that the turnover we could get at AAMI after and pre game would far outway antything we could get at AAMI - its the logistics of everyone jumping in there cars and driving 15 minutes to a new venue thats the killer.

With something like the Crows bar (if you were building your own facility on site), it may revert to the SANFL, which we could perhaps lease on match days. Similar to the agreements clubs have in place at the MCG. That way it would be possible for Port to make a quid on match day - rather than this money going to the Crows.

Trigg made it clear today, what the AFC pays for and builds will only be for the AFC supporters so if Port want something there they will have to bulld it, but I cant see it being financially feasible especially when they have alberton.
And thats a valid stance - I dont have an issue with it.

fact?

you've included category 1 members in your calculations.

no, sorry.

I dont understand what you dont get???

Maybe I should dumb it down for you!

It doesn't matter if the category 1 members come they still have the right to as part of their membership and therefore their tickets are sold and even if you dont count them then Port only sell about 30,000 each week and the crows only about 45,000. Still a pretty good effort given a supposed 60:40 cut of supporters.

There is no argument involving this, go research the facts and you'll understand this is the case!

And of course we are trying to get more members why wouldn't we???? I dont deny that and never will but ultimately our club isn't doing that bad but We still need more money to pump into our footy department because at the moment we barely break even.

Good to see Rucci not letting the facts getting in the way of a good story once again.

I thought he had had a good season so far and been fairly balanced (even though his first article of the year got a basic fact about Foxtel fees wrong). However it didn't take long for the true man to come forth.

The number of Port supporters agreeing they should have a share of the shed is hillarious and backsliding at its finest. When we first had it, they said it was a joke and we were welcome to it. Now that AFC members have paid for it to be made into a great facility for thousands of supporters, the Port lot want to be part of it. Now nothing surprises me.

Yes Port are entitled to a presence at AAMI - just not in our shed which we have paid for.

The number of Port supporters agreeing they should have a share of the shed is hillarious and backsliding at its finest. When we first had it, they said it was a joke and we were welcome to it. Now that AFC members have paid for it to be made into a great facility for thousands of supporters, the Port lot want to be part of it. Now nothing surprises me.

In typical Rucci fashion Adelaide are supposedly to just share it with Port for the good for football. This is one of Rucci's dumbest ever moments, could you imagine the SANFL saying to the AFC well you can build a new facility, but you must share it with Port I am sure that Trigg would tell the SANFL where to stick their joint facility.

Port need to find ways of getting people back to Alberton this is what they should be focussing on not trying to lobby the SANFL to help them sponge off the Crows. We all heard how wonderful Alberton was etc and how cr@p the shed and now they still arent happy, Rucci will do whatever he can to try and prevent Adelaide from doing anything because of his fear of the further growth of the AFC. He sat there a few years ago predicting the rise of Port Adelaide and the downfall of Adelaide and that he could see the wheels in motion with the junior supporters etc and within 5 years we would see the two sides even out, now we have seen that Port have gotten a handout from the AFL to try and help them attract younger supporters and their membership levels are going backwards.

Anything to help grow the AFC makes Rucci's alarm bells ring so then he creates some faux rationale to try and nix any AFC expansion plans.

In typical Rucci fashion Adelaide are supposedly to just share it with Port for the good for football. This is one of Rucci's dumbest ever moments, could you imagine the SANFL saying to the AFC well you can build a new facility, but you must share it with Port I am sure that Trigg would tell the SANFL where to stick their joint facility.

Port need to find ways of getting people back to Alberton this is what they should be focussing on not trying to lobby the SANFL to help them sponge off the Crows. We all heard how wonderful Alberton was etc and how cr@p the shed and now they still arent happy, Rucci will do whatever he can to try and prevent Adelaide from doing anything because of his fear of the further growth of the AFC. He sat there a few years ago predicting the rise of Port Adelaide and the downfall of Adelaide and that he could see the wheels in motion with the junior supporters etc and within 5 years we would see the two sides even out, now we have seen that Port have gotten a handout from the AFL to try and help them attract younger supporters and their membership levels are going backwards.

Anything to help grow the AFC makes Rucci's alarm bells ring so then he creates some faux rationale to try and nix any AFC expansion plans.
:thumbsu:

Sack Rucci, I say

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess who now claims it's in the best interests of footy to let Port use the shed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back