Gumbleton, Reimers and McVeigh re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

Brent Prismall#9

Team Captain
Jun 3, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
McVeigh Signs Two Year Deal

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-clubs-rush-to-secure-stars-before-new-look-gold-coast-era/story-e6frf9jf-1225910101709

MARK McVeigh will finish his career at Essendon after committing to a new deal.

The Bombers veteran has signed for two more years, adding some stability in a time of uncertainty at Windy Hill.

Not sure if I'm happy or not about this, I guess time will tell. The experience is good but his body seems to be failing him big time.

The article also mentioned us being very interested in Griffen from the doggies, apparently we've put a offer on the table for him.

Edit: Its the first time I've inserted a link and quote on the thread before and I think I've stuffed it up. If mods could edit it would be appreciated.

Re: McVeigh Signs Two Year Deal

I didnt see a two year deal coming for spike. I am suprised to say the least.

That was my initial though. I was almost certain that if the club decided to sign him on it would be on a one year deal. Time will tell if its the right decision.

THe most suprising thing is that spike got a contract a week before a review took place. I mean a new coach might be in place and he may want to clear some players, seems like a strange time to sign players up to me.

Could be reward for years of service, which i can understand to a point, but i am really concerned the game will go past spike in a years time, let alone two.

I'm don't mind this obviously one year probably would have made more sense. However he's one of the few players we have than can kick the ball and probably our best small defender.

Would have thought that a one year deal would be more prudent.

I suspect there may be one or two experienced players who face the chop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take:

Gumby - fantastic news
McVeigh - as said in other thread by many, one year would've been preferable but we sorely need some experience so I guess this supplies it
Reimers - hopefully he can continue the way he started the season and not the way he ended it. I was thinking he was destined for the trade table so is lucky IMO.

Players yet to sign beyond this season...

Essendon Listed

Atkinson, Jarrod
Davey, Alwyn
Houli, Bachar
Jetta, Leroy
Laycock, Jason
Lonergan, Sam
Myers, David
Slattery, Tyson
Stanton, Brent
Still, Michael

Rookies

Crameri, Stewart
Howlett, Ben
Marigliani, Marcus
Quinn, Michael
Silverlock, Taite
Williams, John

Essendon Listed

Atkinson, Jarrod
Davey, Alwyn
Fletcher, Dustin
Houli, Bachar
Jetta, Leroy
Laycock, Jason
Lonergan, Sam
Myers, David
Slattery, Henry
Slattery, Tyson
Stanton, Brent
Still, Michael

Rookies

Crameri, Stewart
Howlett, Ben
Marigliani, Marcus
Quinn, Michael
Silverlock, Taite
Williams, John

Pretty sure Henry Slattery resigned for a couple of seasons a few weeks back

Laycock wouldnt be far off the veterans list as well.....
May as well sign him up and lock him in before all the big clubs come knocking!!
I think a 3 year deal might just put him into the elite 'list clogger' category of hennaman and bolton!!

I can't say I agree with a lot of posters here.

I'm very happy with all of these signings. :thumbsu:

Gumbleton - obviously good.
Reimers - still young and will develop into a very good player.
McVeigh - had a down year but still a great player. His influence when put into the middle last week showed where he should be rotated. I believe he will repay the faith shown.

Too many people are too quick to judge players on a short window of time here, good or bad.

EDIT - Also wanted to say that we do not know the details of the McVeigh deal. It could be largely based on games played etc.

So have I go this right?

We are apparently doing a football department "review" presumably commencing in 3 days, yet prior to this alleged review we sign a guy who is turning 30 in January for not one, but two years after hardly an inspiring season.

hmmm.

I mentioned this on the main board but the reason he would have gotten a 2 year deal was to put him on the veterans list in Year 2, back end his contract and then bingo - the space is created.

Other than Hille I don't think we will have anyone eligible once Fletcher retires (i'm assuming Welsh will be gone post 2011). Clubs should be using their veterans list if they're smart as it frees up monies for other players.

Essendon Listed

Atkinson, Jarrod- will probably go but I like him
Davey, Alwyn- need to re-sign
Houli, Bachar- to me he is amazing- will leave though
Jetta, Leroy- would not mind trading/resigning
Laycock, Jason- delist unfortunately- had so much potential
Lonergan, Sam- like his intensity but would be okay with a trade
Myers, David- want him to resign- will be good next year
Slattery, Tyson- can trade- not delist
Stanton, Brent- NEED signature
Still, Michael- re-sign

Rookies

Crameri, Stewart- delist
Howlett, Ben- upgrade
Marigliani, Marcus- re-sign
Quinn, Michael- delist
Silverlock, Taite- re-sign
Williams, John- delist

Wow- I want everyone- looking again I would probably delist Laycock, and trade Lonergan and Jetta. Houli will probably want a trade as may Myers though.

I still think we should retire Fletcher (hopefully he pulls the pin himself) and trade Monfries + 2nd rounder for a midfielder.

I thought NLM was also out of contract???

I mentioned this on the main board but the reason he would have gotten a 2 year deal was to put him on the veterans list in Year 2, back end his contract and then bingo - the space is created.

Other than Hille I don't think we will have anyone eligible once Fletcher retires (i'm assuming Welsh will be gone post 2011). Clubs should be using their veterans list if they're smart as it frees up monies for other players.

Excellent post. :thumbsu:

I thought you could only have a max of 2 on the veterans at any one time?

Fletcher obviously aint going anywhere, unless there is a farewell we dont know about this week.

Hille is 6 months older than spike, and surely to god is he on more than spike. So shouldnt this be done with Hille, back ended in 2012?

Surely the club isnt pre-empting a final year for Fletcher next year, as nothing would surprise me with that bloke.

In any event my point was, if there was this "review", why couldnt the signing wait until next week? where is the fire? Does trade week start on Sunday?

Or is the rumour doing the rounds that next years coach/main assistants already know who they are, and perhaps has done his own review, and whatever happens next week is a mere formality given a bit of credibility here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gumbleton, Reimers and McVeigh re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

Back