Guy Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

tiges4ever

Debutant
Nov 25, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
To all readers of the Age read the bottom of the article on the back of the sport section titled 'Clement-to-blues rumour does swan dive'

Richmond is almoat certain to take Richards as first pick. :eek::thumbsdown:

Miller does it again! :D

No no, depending what happens you guys need a ruckman and he will be the best available come pick one in the PSD... as it stands at the moment anyway... Note that it is in Hutchys part of the paper, he seems to pretty spot on with his rumours!

good grief I hope not :eek: :thumbsdown:

Hmm, I tend to agree with you tigerlee, I have read that Richards has been plagued with injuries (groin, hip, knee) and has played only 39 games in 7yrs of AFL footy. So, this makes me wonder WHY he has been let go..

I would hope that if Richmond seriously consider ANY player, he would first need to pass a stringent and thorough fitness test / examination before being offered a contract.

Player INJURY seems to be any clubs worst nightmare in their campaign for a flag!

We had massive ruck problems this year with injuries to 3 of our 4 ruckman with Knobel gone what are we to do if Pattison goes down again. Sure Patto and Graham will be excellent long term ruckman but these big guys always need a long time to develop. If we hit any sort of form next year we are going to need depth to keep the momentum.

So before you dismiss him answer this question

What other ruckman are available in the drafts that could play immeditaly if required?

Hmm, I tend to agree with you tigerlee, I have read that Richards has been plagued with injuries (groin, hip, knee) and has played only 39 games in 7yrs of AFL footy. So, this makes me wonder WHY he has been let go..

I would hope that if Richmond seriously consider ANY player, he would first need to pass a stringent and thorough fitness test / examination before being offered a contract.

Player INJURY seems to be any clubs worst nightmare in their campaign for a flag!

cause the bastard is soft, but good luck with him if you want him, i sure as hell am happy he is good

We had massive ruck problems this year with injuries to 3 of our 4 ruckman with Knobel gone what are we to do if Pattison goes down again. Sure Patto and Graham will be excellent long term ruckman but these big guys always need a long time to develop. If we hit any sort of form next year we are going to need depth to keep the momentum.

What other ruckman are available in the drafts that could play immeditaly if required?

Must admit, a bit of ruck insurance would be good, especially with Simmonds condition perhaps putting his preperations for 08 back a little.

But for someone like Richards, he would have to come cheaply. Anyone know what dollars he would be asking?

No no, depending what happens you guys need a ruckman and he will be the best available come pick one in the PSD... as it stands at the moment anyway... Note that it is in Hutchys part of the paper, he seems to pretty spot on with his rumours!

umm Cain Akland 3 yrs x $300K lol...ouch!

Actually, I was opposed to cutting Guy Richards from our list. Good tap ruckman, and ruckling depth is essential.

He's actually not too bad.

Guy
Richards I recall when the Optus Footy Show were previewing the draft, Tim Watson said that Richards was considered a Top-10 Pick, if not Top 5, but that a lot of clubs might've been discouraged by his lack of weight and that he'd take 2-3 years just getting up to size. That's been exactly the case with Richards. He could prove to be an inspired selection next season.

We received Pick 37 from the Kangaroos in exchange for trading Ricky Olarenshaw and Pick 39 (Daniel Motlop. Allegedly, this was part of the deal which saw Peter Bell leave the Roos and return home to Fremantle).

Was nominated to go Number 8 in the AFL's Phantom Draft, (yes, that high for those who thought I mistyped).

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~rant101/collingwood/decadeofhope.html

I rate him highly. Good player for Eastern, copped some shocking injuries for us in his early days, and has now copped the chop only weeks after polling well in the Copeland Trophy for his efforts in the Elimination Final against Sydney. He's not too bad, just needs to use his size a little more.

Thats a great point tigertiger, unfortunately I'm not in a position to know who else is available, and I wish I knew.

I can however offer you the following scenario, which might help.

Which of these 2 lists is the odd one out?
1. Kent Kingsley, Lance Whitnall, Guy Richards
2. Chriss Judd, Ben Cousins, Guy Richards

I know which group I'd be putting Richards in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

umm Cain Akland 3 yrs x $300K lol...ouch!

At least get it right..........

2 years - locked in.

KPI's depend whether an automatic extension leads to a third.

If Cain produces another season the quality of last year (or basically doesnt play to a high standard) he is gone, released, with no financial commitment to Carlton.

At least HAckland was well performed at the Saints, he was a wanted player.
Most Blues fans cant wait to see the end of him, on last years efforts that will be at the end of this upcoming season & it wont cost the club anything as he most likely wont reach the required hights of a a performance based contract that would enable a third season............ aint gonna happen.

Who else is there?

I would like to get Lance Whittnel, but only as an assistant coach.
Clayton Collard, Darren Pfieffer or any other discardies could be useful, but as a few have said, we desperatly need a ruckman.

As it is we have:
- Simmonds: An average tap ruckman, who is very good around the ground, can win clearences and can a kick goals. With a limited pre-season, he will struggle to recapture his 2006 form

- Adam Pattison: A ruckman who struggles to win many hitouts, but picks up a lot of touches to make up for it. Still raw, but a good prospect as a permant 2nd ruck/foward option. Needs to learn how to play up foward more though

- Angus Graham: An average ruckman, who has size on his side. Still raw, has chicken legs and was VERY lucky to be upgraded. Won't win alot of possesion around the ground but is a good mark, and can be used effectivly down back

- Graham Polak: A player that merely contests the rucks, without much success. More important, when contesting the rucks it forces Bowden to play taller, meaning blokes like Raines end up on guys like Riewoldt.

THATS IT!

As we saw this year, when Simmonds and Graham went down we had Patto playing 80% of the game in ruck, and really struggle because of it.

The good thing about Guy Richards is that he isn't a player that is in our best 22 and he would know this. This means that we can play Simmonds and Patto together, keep developing Graham with the odd match, but not feel obliged to give Richards AFL matches, but instead use him as insurence. At 24/25, he would still have some improvment in him aswell.

So far the axings we have made have pushed the club foward, but I think the fact that we traded for McMohan, when we could have picked him up for nothing and the fact we didn't trade Schultz could come back and hurt us as it would mean we would have had 4 top 30 picks + McMohan - Schultz - our PSD pick

Depending whos in the draft, we desperately need a ruckman especially if Simmo gets injured again. Patterson and Graham are up and comers and I dont think either are ready, Richards would be good if there is no one else in the Draft that is worth picking up and that is a ruckman.

Richards isn't ready either and never will be

True, but fact is he may be better off elsewhere, just look at other players who jumped ship and would soon become more important elsewhere, for example Jason Torney, was a good player at Richmond but as soon as he went to Adelaide he played much better.

Same could be said for Brad Ottens and Rodan, who both made the grand final last year and have played an excellent seasons.

I think if Guy Richards does come to Richmond he could be handy, last year in 16 games he had 205 hitouts, averaging 12.8 a game (in all he averages 12.5), so he could be pretty handy when Simmo wants to play down forward. But I hope we dont go for him in the first round of selecting.

Can't remember much about him...

the Wobbles site says..

''Richards looked to have put the disappointment of an injury-wrecked 2005 season behind him by playing the first five games of 2006, but form and injury again saw him miss large chunks of the season. Voted the Magpies’ best first-year player in 2004, Richards has enormous potential, and once his fitness and form can come together, is expected to form a potent ruck partnership with Josh Fraser.''

Maybe will never reach the dominating 1st ruck, but looks to me good insurance as a back up ruck while Gus develops (and maybe another late draft kid). Being delisted by a team who has brought in a younger ruck with more upside. (which they paid for!) Similar to maybe Howat on our list who has been upgraded on.

I am moving to a 'go' on picking him up.(on stats alone:eek:) I might watch a few of his games this year to get a better idea though as the fact I didn't notice him at all this year is a worry!

hutchy would not bknow if arse was on fire ask him how kosi is going ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Guy Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back