GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is Australia doesn't have many nasty animals with impressive sounding names, and those few that do are not found near Sydney so it would not make sense to use those names; plus these are in use by other sports in this country anyway (Crocs, Taipans etc).

Additionally, West Sydney is inland so that automatically rules out any sea creatures from getting a name (Sharks, Stringrays, Dolphins etc), and the majority of worthwhile non-native animals are either already in use by various football codes (Tigers, Lions, Panthers etc) or don't hit the mark because of what is native here (eg using "Cobras" or "Vipers" which aren't local, and are less dangerous than native species - unfortunately GWS Eastern Brown Snakes doesn't sound very good).

Thus the animal options left are:
Dangerous but not really impressive (Funnelwebs, Scorpions, Dingoes etc);
Emblematic but soft (Emus, Platypuses(pi), Wombats etc);
Birds which are aren't already in use (Falcons, Kookaburras etc);
Non-native that aren't already in use (Wolves, Pumas, Rhinos etc);

Of those options, only Falcons and Wolves are worth considering in my opinion.

Of course it does not need to be an animal for the name - but then it must be something that is either menacing in character, geographically relevant and/or strikes a chord with the potential supporter base of the area otherwise you will get an abortion of a scenario like what has occurred in the A-League with Fury and Heart... or Giants :rolleyes:

A good option for the club if they were to go down this route is to use the "outsider" mentality of being in rugby league heartland and capitalize upon it. Possible choices could be Pioneers, Exiles, Mutiny and Revolution to name a few.

Finally it has never made sense to me why it has to named as "Western Sydney", we all know where they are going to be based.

Marketing opportunities, corporate sponsorship and grassroots support for the new club will each be greater if it were to simply call itself as "New South Wales", a club for all fans of AFL in NSW/ACT that plays happens to play home games in Western Sydney.

Put them in light blue guernseys and get a sense of NSW patriotism flowing (this is the biggest and ultimate key for success here) and there will be no holding the club back.

It may not be to everyone's taste but I wouldn't mind having the New South Wales Wolves (or Falcons or Revolution) as part of the AFL.

west sydney redbacks
wes sydney emus:eek:
west sydney crocodiles
west sydney platypussys
west sydney snakes
west sydney sharks
west sydney hammerheads
west sydney wombats
west sydney fire-ants
west sydney huntsmans
west sydney moths
west sydney sperm whale
gws BEARS
gws lizards
west sydney bandicoots

all of those are better than GWS GIANTS pffft giants, please no.

Why do they have "greater", thats terrible for marketing.

As for the name, then why not the pirates?

Western Sydney Pirates?

Its highly marketable, has a renowned universal logo, skull and bones, would look gangster and suit the area..

AFL is dumb is dumb.

Western Sydney Pirates.

Giants is just no. Terrible. Wolves is well, even worse.

Pirates will appeal to the masses, is different, has no geographical location and would really add another marketing dimension to the club.

Kids will love it, wannabe gangsters will love it and people around the area will be drawn to the concept of being pirates in the AFL trying to steal the premiership, it just works on so many levels.

The Brisbane Bears Fitzroy Football Club may object to that one. ;)

Maybe they could merge to become the Greater Western Sydney Brisbane Bears Fitzroy Football Club Bears? Otherwise known as GWSBBFFCB (as will be displayed on the back of the guernsey like FFC and SMFC etc)

Maybe they could merge to become the Greater Western Sydney Brisbane Bears Fitzroy Football Club Bears? Otherwise known as GWSBBFFCB (as will be displayed on the back of the guernsey like FFC and SMFC etc)

Here's someone trying to pronounce it

jizz-in-my-pants-andy-samberg1-300x167.jpg

Gwaaaaaooww (Whale sound)
Gwaaaaaooww

We're the Whales, we're setting sale
We're the great West Sydney Whales, we never fail
Don't try to bust our humpback
We will squash you like a thumbtack
We're the Whales, we never fail

Oh we hale, from Sydney's west
We're here to fight, so fear our might, it's us and then the rest
You've heard of Moby Dick, well we created that schtick
For four quaters, we're like Orcas
Killing contests in a tick

Gwaaaaaooww
We are the Sydney Whales!
Gwaaaaaooww
The Greater Western Whales!

:cool:

I expect royalties pretty shortly.

following on from the spiders/funner web theme................

GWS VENOM.

has that hardness in its pronounciation - the emblem/mascot/jersey is a spider, tho they may find it hard to attract little girls to the game.
(great opportunity for an old time dig at craig bradley, but i wont)

and i guess that raises an issue. they keep saying the aim is to have a team that the community adopts and supports in 50 years, not necessarily immediately. so the theme will likely need to be one 'supportable' by children in the first instance, with adults stuck in their sport of choice, but their children still impressionable.

GWS JUSTIN BIEBERS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it has to be a name starting with w for aethetic value imho - may i suggest the following

the western sydney

w***ers (at least for the first few years when they rape the draft as well as all of our good players)

wingnuts - if they look like half the bogans in western sydney)

wasters (when 2/3rds of the players they get want to go home when they realise the place they are living in is a...)

wasteland (see above)

wolves (in a feeble attempt to sound kinda tough - sorta like when the dockers all shaved their heads cos everyone thought they were soft as shite - will have a similar effect)

woftams (waste of ****ing time and money - on behalf of the a.f.l - im putting serious money on this one - as if a bunch of sydney bogans give a shit about even going to a game featuring a sniffbum team they like- let alone gAyFL/ aerial pingpong*

*{aerial pingpong - haHa - as opposed to what - pingpong that is played using grubbers? flogs}

Always been a fan of the name West Sydney Redbacks. It sounds the best to me. It has a great amount of marketing potential.

Giants is alright... I could imagine going "Oh, we're playing the Giants this weekend".

Any one of the 5 options presented is better than the Power.

Goddamn I wish we were the Pirates.

edit: I just realised we're the only team without an "S" at the end of the nickname. I don't know whether that's cool or not haha.

It will be a great shame if "Wolves" is not chosen.

Its a great marketting tool for kids. Imagine all the associations wolves would have. And most kids would agree that a wolf is a cool (slighly dangerous, edgy) animal. Perfect to like.

Also imagine the fun the crowd could have letting our massive werewolf howls after a goal.

Its just makes sense as a fun name. People in Sydney arent as intense as Melbourne. Fans want to have fun at the AFL games.

Thankfully it won't be irrelevant, lame names like wolves or giants.

GWS will be known as the...

Rangers

Suits the blue mountains and cumberland basin. In principle, a ranger is a person charged with "ranging over" and protecting an area of countryside.

Colours will include...

Green and blue (and possibly white).

Blue suits the blue mountains and NSW. Green is not a colour used in the AFL.

Source? No proof. An educated guess.

Gwaaaaaooww (Whale sound)
Gwaaaaaooww

We're the Whales, we're setting sale
We're the great West Sydney Whales, we never fail
Don't try to bust our humpback
We will squash you like a thumbtack
We're the Whales, we never fail

Oh we hale, from Sydney's west
We're here to fight, so fear our might, it's us and then the rest
You've heard of Moby Dick, well we created that schtick
For four quaters, we're like Orcas