GWS need

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we would be looking at bringing in guys like:

Tom Bellchambers or Shane Mumford or Billy Longer
Daniel Merrett or Mitch Brown
Jessie White (who I would play as a KPD) - Another Swan worth a look is Luke Parker who is going to struggle in their midfield. They also have a surplus of key defenders with the emergence of Dane Rampe. Alex Johnson is a gun but doubt they'd ever let him go, maybe a Grundy with him getting older and salary cap pressure??
Scott Thompson

We really need an A grade key defender with a big body, A grade ruckman and an A or B big bodied mid.

I reckon if we added that with a Buddy and Tom Boyd we would be pretty stoked. For it to happen we would need to trade out some kids and most of this years draft picks.

Whether it happens is another thing!
I'm willing to trade him for one of your young running players, he is a complete meat head with the intelligence of your average bouncer at nightclubs.

I do agree totally with the need for a ruckman and a key defender. Admittedly key defenders aren't easy to come by so maybe might have to work with a group of blokes that would be second or third defenders and build one up, but also gives options to rotate through.

After watching GWS win we'll today I think the forwards are well covered. I would suggest at least two running half back flankers with good decision and disposal skills would make a huge impact. It would cut the turnovers running out of defence and turn defence into easy goals for Cameron and the general when he returns. Another ruckman is a must who can go forward and attract a tall defender. Mids seem fine.

definitely need mid 20s professionals
not 30 s has beens and crocks
weve got enough 20 yo
its time to trade.especially when other clubs are suffering and need access to our young runners

Thought I might add a different approach to this thread. I think we need hardened bodies but that we should continue to mainly develop our younger players. As a result we would continue to look to recruit at least 'good' players to keep us competitive as we have the last two years. In our first year I think this worked, but in our second year don't think the mature players we had stood up, either in games played or quality time. There fore we need 'good' players in their late 20's etc who will see us through for 2-3 years.

The exception being Franklin for the marketing, champion he is etc that he is; Dustin Martin if he wants to 'come home'; and a second ruckman who maybe younger than the above criteria e.g. mid-20's. I have started a list mostly from other AFL clubs; the criteria being that we can get them easily (near retirement, free agent, uncontracted etc) and will add value (no list cloggers). Others maybe aware of suitable players in the State leagues:

Ruckman
Paul Johnson (East Perth)
Tom Bellchambers (Essendon)
Daniel Currie (Nth Melbourne)

Defender
Josh Hunt (Geelong)
Xavier Ellis (Hawthorn)
Michael Firrito (Nth Melbourne)
Andrew Embley (West Coast)
Forward
Jason Porplyzia (Adelaide)

Utilty/Mid
Paul Chapman (Geelong)
Colin Sylvia (Melbourne)
Dylan Addison (Footscray)

Daniel Cross (Footscray)

The only problem with getting players in their mid-20's is that they may not see a point in coming. By the time they reach their peak (28-30), the large number of young guns we have will also being hitting a peak with approx. 100+ games into them.

What if we grab Paul Johnson and the jj Liston, Margery and sandover medalists as mature gap fill. Seeing hutchings and Mitchell play well this year shows that cheap mature heads can actually fast track your team a bit but then u have the problem of players leaving due to homesickness and lack of game time. I think 2-3 mature players on the cheap is the maximum we should inject in 1 go into this team.

We don't really need to trade.

Reasons why we might trade:
-- hard nut going cheap (similar to Palmer)
-- marketing extravaganza (eg Franklin)
-- mature head in the latter part of their career (eg Sewell, Mumford)

But can't see us giving much up in pursuit of any of those. Even a Franklin would most likely be via RFA, not a trade.

The AFL climate is not conducive to trading away the kind of players who would be worth giving up early draft picks / young players, like Ryan Griffen, Daniel Talia, etc. Teams don't give up those kind of players by choice. Even if they would get something better in return.

Can't understand why you guys aren't looking at swooping in on Dale Thomas, would be perfect to your current mix.

Also need some genuine small forwards.

I think both ends KPP will be very good in time.

Also good for grunt mids need the outside flash types now.

You just need time and another 30 games on ya belts.

Maybe three more older guys who are about 26 or 27 wile your kids get more gamens into them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS need a 10 year contract for Jeremy Cameron. I went to Skoda yesterday and this kid is a genuine gun. There is some good times ahead for you guys and I just hope you dont panic and change your philosohy on recruiting. My only concern would be Buddy Franklin, I just cant for the life of me understand why you would pay this guy a shipload of cash. He isnt what you need. Totally agree with earlier call that Sewell and Robinson would be good gets. I would like to see the Giants pick Tom Boyd because you can never have too many gun forwards. Would love to see the giants "top up" with 4 or 5 experienced players even if they can only play for a couple of years. The kids will be great in a couple of years and just need some experinced heads around them. They should target the following for next to nothing in return.

Simon Black
Ben Rutten
Paul Chapman
Nathan Bock
Michael Firrito
Kane Cornes
Shane Tuck
Travis Tuck
Sam Fisher
LRT
Daniel Cross
Daniel Kerr

I was going to say exactly this ... that GWS need to go for the S & T Tuck combo. Whoever wrote this suggestion is a genius. By having your young mids doing the inside grunt work you are not doing them any favours.

Swan and Ablett did not start their careers in the centre square they grew into that role.

GWS need -

Everyone else to stop shitting on them

^

I'm hoping that comment wasn't directed at me. I've been a massive Shane Tuck fan for years and Travis dominated the FoxTel cup and did the same in the SANFL. I think the cost-benefit of getting them both would be big win for GWS.

^

I'm hoping that comment wasn't directed at me. I've been a massive Shane Tuck fan for years and Travis dominated the FoxTel cup and did the same in the SANFL. I think the cost-benefit of getting them both would be big win for GWS.
No mate , not even.
I hadn't even read your post.
Just been an ordinary 24 hours for my " 2nd team "

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS need

Remove this Banner Ad

Back