News GWS rumours and speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: GWS after Pendles and Daisy

I've been critical of Shaw in the past over how he treats us in the press, but at no point has his love or connection with Collingwood diminished.

He was simply trying to be "impartial" during his career in the media, and by doing so, has gone over the top and become a little bit too critical about Collingwood at times.

Articles like the latest one are the "real Tony Shaw" though, he is still Collingwood through and through, he just needs to show it more often.

My exact thoughts too Matty...trouble is when he does show it, he's going to get hammered by the Pie haters.

It's a fine line.

I used to think Eddie did it OK, but he was howled down by either Pie or Eddie haters.

It's not worth worrying or speculating about really because we simply don't know what the players headspace and priorities are like. People are going to through up Gary Ablett Jnr consistantly to try and say that "money talks" and GWS "will get there man" but it's non-sense. It's not a universal thing and depends on the individual. It seems Gary had some fairly big pluses about moving from Geelong other then money. His brother who was not happy with the limelight of AFL in Geelong is up there and he gets a chance to play with his brother, Gary himself was never a huge fan of the attention and has said he is keen to move out of his father shadow a little. Whislt you can't believe all the spin, I believe a lot of that.
Just to add to this people shouldn't forget GC were chasing and offering big $ to players like Reiwoldt and Franklin who both turned them down before Ablett was even mentioned. Not everyone walks for money. As Shawthing and others said, Ablett had reasons for leaving outside of more money (who should be noted was getting paid a lot less than his worth at Geelong who refused to increase his salary for years).

There is no way Pendles or Thomas will leave.

My friend know's Thomas's uncle and he said he is very happy at Collingwood.

Pendles will be our next captain.

Could you imagi8ne living in the back blocks of Western Sydney ?
For some reason do you really think that Thomas and pendles will get paid peanuts at collingwood.

Wake up two youngf guns who have just won a flag,and poised to go back to back they will stay.

In fact Maxwell confirmed it this morning on melbourne radio,when he said
look if they want to go we have others who would step up BUT
Swan,Pendles and Thomas will have extended contracts and will be signed by the time the new 2011 season starts.

Its like a true collingwood man Chopper Reed said,the other teams can look but don't touch.

I agree with Chopper.

I may be ignorant to the logistics of it all but is there any chance that the players playing for GWS would be able to live closer to the inner sydney city? I keep hearing that living in GWS will be a negative of going to play for them but I can't see why they couldn't just live elsewhere?

Shawthing the traffic in western cydknee has to be experienced to be believed. I'm a long time courier used to cutting through traffic but I wouldn't take on a regular job through there if they offered me triple rates!

I may be ignorant to the logistics of it all but is there any chance that the players playing for GWS would be able to live closer to the inner sydney city? I keep hearing that living in GWS will be a negative of going to play for them but I can't see why they couldn't just live elsewhere?

I have to agree with the last post.
When I've been in Melbourne, I've heard the locals whinging about the transport system....:eek::eek::eek:.....which I found legitimately strange.
Compared to the total shambles which is Sydney's transport system you have the garden of eden in Melbourne. That's not a slight on Sydney drivers either, as I've found them to be some of the most polite and friendly in any city.
It's just the lack of planning or forethought in Sydney is several level above that of Melbourne.

Sydney is undoubtedly "the" hell hole of the Australian continent as far as traffic and transport goes by a country mile.

Swan keen to remain a Pie - Excellent noises from the nest!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-one-club-player/story-e6frf9jf-1225972089516

COLLINGWOOD'S premiership midfielder Dane Swan says he "absolutely" wants to remain with the club and the return of Chris Tarrant has given him an added boost for 2011.
Swan has one year left on his contract and is reportedly in the sights of 2012 debutant Greater Western Sydney, along with fellow Magpies Dale Thomas and Scott Pendlebury.
The trio were sent a message by skipper Nick Maxwell at the Magpies' AGM, who called on teammates to follow his lead after re-signing until the end of 2013.
Swan said today he was confident the Magpies would "keep going higher" next year and that he was keen to remain with the club beyond his current contract.
The triple Copeland Trophy winner said he "absolutely" wanted to be remembered as a one-club player.
Gives plenty of hope that we'll retain Swan. In addition it seems that Tarrant is training the house down. Excellent noises coming out of the Westpac centre as far as I can see.

Re: Excellent noises from the nest!

Swan was never going to leave, but Tarrant coming back made it absolutely certain, the two are the best of mates, and would love to play out the last few seasons (of Tarrant's career anyway) together, and grab a flag for Taz in the end.

Tarrant has already been embraced as "one of the boys", and I know Andrew Krakouer will be too, and it will be seen as just more motivation to win another flag, and also to stay at the club.

Sheedy and his shitty little western suburbs joke won't be getting any of our big names, don't worry about that, he can have Leon Davis after next season, in a similar vein to how Fraser ended up at the GC.

Since Taz's return, he has been involved in everything really.

Marketing aspects i.e. new jumper, urging Cloke on the hot breakfast that this "is the best place in world" or something along those lines, attended the Copeland, apparantly training the house down, was wat the AGM standing with Mick and Eddie, influence on his best mates i.e. Swan and even on the playing group.

I must say this has been a pretty good off-season and I agree the noises coming out of the nest are excellent.

Swan keen to stay a Pie

COLLINGWOOD'S Dane Swan has given the first indication he will rebuff overtures from a cashed-up Greater Western Sydney.

Speaking at a promotional event in Melbourne on Thursday, Swan, arguably the game's hottest player after his standout 2010, said he was eager to continue playing for the Magpies.

Swan could be among the Giants' prime targets as the AFL's 18th club seeks uncontracted targets.

Swan, like teammates Scott Pendlebury and Dale Thomas, will be out of contract at the end of 2011 and could be the subject of a huge offer from GWS.

But Swan suggested he had no thoughts of leaving the reigning premier, saying the lure of playing with his mates - including the recently-returned Chris Tarrant - was a major incentive in staying in black and white.

That is good to hear now just have to get Pendles,Daisy and the Big H to say the same thing

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/106288/default.aspx

Since Taz's return, he has been involved in everything really.

Marketing aspects i.e. new jumper, urging Cloke on the hot breakfast that this "is the best place in world" or something along those lines, attended the Copeland, apparantly training the house down, was wat the AGM standing with Mick and Eddie, influence on his best mates i.e. Swan and even on the playing group.

I must say this has been a pretty good off-season and I agree the noises coming out of the nest are excellent.

I must admit I was looking at some of my taped games from the year and stumbled on the Freo Game. Really interesting after the siren. Trav had belted anyone that came his way that night and the scoreline flattered the Dockers but every Magpie player went to Tazza after the game.

In hindsight a really interesting thing to watch. So yep Taz was on his way home that night. And yep Did's, Benny J, Swanney (and if they are in so is Shawry) are going nowhere now that Taz is back.

Hopefully Tazza talks to Pendles, Ried Dawes, Sidey, etc tells them how good they have it

Swans first and best mate from the club is back, no way is he going to ditch him now. Hopefully the other can follow him and stay with the club its very important to keep the same list if we want to win it in 2012.
Btw, when does tazzas contract expire?

ohh yessss!!, he could end up being one of the collingwood greats, who would of thought, at the start of his career that he would become this powerhouse of a player, can do the lot our swannny, sooo happy hes staying( most likely) he could possibly end up with 3 premierships and 5 bnfs:thumbsu:, i can see it happening

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ohh yessss!!, he could end up being one of the collingwood greats, who would of thought, at the start of his career that he would become this powerhouse of a player, can do the lot our swannny, sooo happy hes staying( most likely) he could possibly end up with 3 premierships and 5 bnfs:thumbsu:, i can see it happening

Swan already is clearly on of our club greats.

He has a premiership, and a threepeat of Copelands, something only 3 players in our history can say they have. Phonse Kyne, Bob Rose and Dane Swan (Buckley won 3 in a row too, but no flag).

Swan's already a Collingwood great, by the end of his career he could be a "football great".:thumbsu:

Swan keen to stay a Pie (bu bu bu)

Collingwood website

COLLINGWOOD'S Dane Swan has given the first indication he will rebuff overtures from a cashed-up Greater Western Sydney.

Speaking at a promotional event in Melbourne on Thursday, Swan, arguably the game's hottest player after his standout 2010, said he was eager to continue playing for the Magpies.

Swan could be among the Giants' prime targets as the AFL's 18th club seeks uncontracted targets.

Swan, like teammates Scott Pendlebury and Dale Thomas, will be out of contract at the end of 2011 and could be the subject of a huge offer from GWS.

But Swan suggested he had no thoughts of leaving the reigning premier, saying the lure of playing with his mates - including the recently-returned Chris Tarrant - was a major incentive in staying in black and white.

Swan, originally from the Calder Cannons, proved a bargain pick up for the Pies when they selected him with pick 58 in the stellar draft of 2001.

"They (Collingwood) were the only side who talked to me before the draft and they gave me my opportunity," Swan told AAP.

The bolded are the two main reasons Swan will not leave, and why Ablett had no issue leaving. Two totally different situations.

As I've said before, Pendlebury is the one we have to worry about losing. Not Swan.

oh, and obligatory "Bu bu bu, Ablett left".

Ablett wasn't happy, didn't really have to 'work' for his place for lack of a better word, being a father son pick. His path to footy was basically one the equivalent of a spoiled heir to a throne, where Swan was more the Aladdin style rags to riches story, hence, why he wont' leave.

Hopefully this shit with Swan will stop. If it starts with Pendlebury, that's fine, I can deal with that because I'm concerned we'll lose him, and he's more important to us overall than Swan is, and because there's an ACTUAL chance he'll leave.

Swan won't leave.

Re: Swan keen to stay a Pie (bu bu bu)

Collingwood website
As I've said before, Pendlebury is the one we have to worry about losing. Not Swan.

Pendles wont leave, if I had to put the likelihood of any of the "big 3" leaving it would be;

Swan = 0%
Pendlebury = 10%
Thomas = 20%

I think Thomas is the most likely to leave, he can earn far more and mean so much more in terms of a marketing capacity then what either of Swan or Pendlebury can, and this will be the thing that really grabs the GWS's interest.

My "sources", for what it's worth, say that Swan will sign a contract extension before the season starts in 2011, and that negotiations with Pendlebury are "well down the line".

Thomas is the most likely "big name" player to leave, but I don't think even he will go, he's a big game player who loves the big stage, so I don't think he'll be tempted by money to play in front of 12,000 people each week in an area that simply will never embrace our game.

Re: Swan keen to stay a Pie (bu bu bu)

Onya, Dane. :thumbsu:

However, I don't think GWS will lose any sleep over it but instead turn their attention to someone like Dale Thomas, even Sheeds is impressed by him calling him a "magician" in one of his articles.

I don't understand your theory on Scott Pendlebury. He would be the least player to concern about leaving. Nick Maxwell has been strong in his desire to keep this group together. I'd have thought Pendles being his deputy leader and captain in-waiting won't turn his back on an opportunity to be a club champion and someday a premiership captain at the one club.

We are lucky to have a tight knit group so I doubt neither of them will leave.

Re: Swan keen to remain a Pie - Excellent noises from the nest!

I believe Maxwell has signalled to our current group to renew contracts,that is with players like thomas,pendlebury and swan who will be out of contract as years end cause this young group could win a few flags together.

So with players like TARRANT AND KRAKOUER want toi prove a points.the maggies are set to go back to back.
What a triumph that would be !

Then go a few in a row with Buckley at the helm,just fantastic !

But this group must stay together for the dynasty to happen

I was never worried about Swan.

Pendles is the one they will chase, throw the captaincy and cash at.

After he wins the Brownlow next year, they will go after him big time.

When he came to my school to visit, someone asked him what his most hated team was: Essendon.

"Would you go there for money like Gary Ablett is being offered?" and he jokingly said: Yeh probably.

:D

I was never worried about Swan.

Pendles is the one they will chase, throw the captaincy and cash at.

This. Very worried about Pendles. Cant see Daisy or Swan leaving.

I don't know how they divy up the $1.7 million GF prize money, but wouldn't hurt to put a weighting on it that mirrors the Copeland results. That could mean 150k each for the top 5, or similar. Another incentive outside the Additional Services Agreement (which is worth @580k).

There's a lot of players that might leak if we shore up Pendles / Thomas with a fistful of dollars.

I think Gary Pert was right to frame the whole question of contract negotiations by saying we wont be engaging in some bidding war which will just put enormous kinks in our salary cap.

Once you go down that path of paying mega-bucks for individual stars, you not only squeeze the wages of other players, you're also more likely to have a bunch leave for more money - knowing that it's not a true team, just a few rock-stars and others making up the numbers. That's been Carlton's operating procedure.

Jock McHale ran a more Spartan / even system and it didn't do the Pies any harm back then.

The earlier you sign them the better the situation is for the Pies (obviously). Out of the 3 that have been mentioned I'd be surprised if any of them left, but if they leave it going into the season, the more GWS can talk and up their ante and also focus on certain players.

Jock McHale ran a more Spartan / even system and it didn't do the Pies any harm back then.
Yeah, but McHale always had the club benefactor, John Wren to pay any pies players to stay if they were even considering leaving us.

No coincidence that when both of them died after the 53 flag that we started to lose players left, right and centre.

Now we have Eddie, who while he has to adhere to the current day rules and policies of the AFL, also has the right to find "technically legal" forms of paying plays outside the salary cap.

We'll be fine, there's no one else you would want in charge of your club at such a time then Eddie, Walsh and Perty.:thumbsu:

GWS has Signed 3 Players Already

Speculation among rival clubs and player agents suggests Allan has found three players keen to spend next season with their side before defecting, as the likes of Gary Ablett, Campbell Brown, Jarrod Harbrow and Michael Rischitelli did last year before joining the Gold Coast.

If there any Pies players who are in his sights then they should tell the Club so we can give them a New Contract or let them Walk

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/wester...mute-on-recruited-players-20101219-191wz.html

Remove this Banner Ad

News GWS rumours and speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back