News GWS to have training base built; Tom Wills Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy who created the game.

But that's ok, as I assume you're new to the game and I would have no idea who created Rugby Union or League.

Didn't Dally M create league?

(I'm only moderately joking.) ;)

6HDSmg1.jpg

The guy who created the game.

But that's ok, as I assume you're new to the game and I would have no idea who created Rugby Union or League.

Well the legend goes that William Webb Ellis picked up a soccer ball and ran with it, putting it down over the line only to be told 'nice try' at the Rugby school in England - hence the Webb Ellis Trophy which is the rugby union World Cup.

J.J Giltenan was the force behind the rugger boys going professional and the first player he pinched for his new "league" was Dally Messenger. Hence the JJ Giltenan Shield which used to go to the premiers but since the tobacco sponsorship of the early 80's (Winfield Cup) has been given to the minor premiers at the end of the H&A.

I love the idea of the Tom Wills oval. He was from a Giants catchment area in NSW and invented the game. Henry Harrison who was from western Sydney and who co-wrote the rules could have been another one but less famous obviously.

Well the legend goes that William Webb Ellis picked up a soccer ball and ran with it, putting it down over the line only to be told 'nice try' at the Rugby school in England - hence the Webb Ellis Trophy which is the rugby union World Cup.

J.J Giltenan was the force behind the rugger boys going professional and the first player he pinched for his new "league" was Dally Messenger. Hence the JJ Giltenan Shield which used to go to the premiers but since the tobacco sponsorship of the early 80's (Winfield Cup) has been given to the minor premiers at the end of the H&A.

I love the idea of the Tom Wills oval. He was from a Giants catchment area in NSW and invented the game. Henry Harrison who was from western Sydney and who co-wrote the rules could have been another one but less famous obviously.

I'll be respectful as it's your board but I don't care about Rugby League or Union. So I don't care.

The name Tom Wills oval is a good one.

Awaits outrage that it is to far, 10 minutes, from the true western sydney that is parramatta :rolleyes:

Caroline Wilson made a big thing about that last year I think ... the usual trying to make a story out of nothing. I have never seen her right articles about the Western Bulldogs not representing the West of Melbourne by playing their home games in the Melbourne CBD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, but a few comments were made and so an answer was forth coming.

Replying to it as "Ill be respectfull but I dont care" is a bit childish. Others might care or find some interest in the info.
Not to mention digs at how long Ive been playing... I actually find that quite insulting that just cos I dont recognise a name that I must be new and completely oblivious...

I hope they do a walk-through of the building for the GWS website.

Would be great to see what they have in the building and hopefully things are state of the art.

Caroline Wilson made a big thing about that last year I think ... the usual trying to make a story out of nothing. I have never seen her right articles about the Western Bulldogs not representing the West of Melbourne by playing their home games in the Melbourne CBD.

I hadnt actually thought of that. All Melbourne teams play out of 2 stadiums, would it be fair to say that some of these clubs areas are well away from the MCG? Not to up on the Melbourne geography.

I hadnt actually thought of that. All Melbourne teams play out of 2 stadiums, would it be fair to say that some of these clubs areas are well away from the MCG? Not to up on the Melbourne geography.

Most of them are inner city suburbs. Footscray is about ten minutes away from Etihad although the "west" can be further out, and the Saints about 20. Geelong plays some home games at the MCG, and is about an hour away.

Most of the clubs' old suburban bases are within one or two suburbs of the CBD, so the distance is pretty small on average.

The AFL clubs are very, very old and were formed when Melbourne was just a village. So they are all "inner city" locations (apart from Geelong and perhaps Essendon).
But the fans live miles out into the burbs from the suburb the club's named after, so it's all a bit irrelevant now.
You are more likely to barrack for your mum and dad's team, or else the team that a family friend played for. Especially since the national draft came in and clubs lost the freedom to recruit from within their own patch.

So no longer a driving range... but a driving range with goal posts, line markings and temporary fencing? Superb!
Fair to say they probably jumped the gun a bit with their announcement yesterday.

I went past earlier and the buildings are definitely still a construction site.

Is this facility fully operational and currently in use by the footy dept? I saw the footage but can't listen to the sound.

I was at Olympic Park around lunchtime today and from what I could see, the netting was still up on the Australia Ave perimeter of the driving range, the main building accessed from the Olympic Blvd entrance still has 'Olympic Park Golf' on it, and it isn't even able to be accessed by vehicle or pedestrians due to the temporary construction fencing. Trying to get a sneak peak from Shirley Strickland Ave and it very much still looks like a construction site, but that vid/pic shows the turf in decent training nick even if the tee off area for driving still looks like its intact.

Don't want to get into the other BS. It's done (from my end anyway). We have differing opinions. I'd love to be proven wrong on this eventually. Just want to re-iterate that the beef was always with the AFL and my perceived flaws in their approach, not specifically with the club itself or you blokes. I even watch every game!!! I want the game to flourish in Western Sydney. Good luck.:thumbsu:

Is this facility fully operational and currently in use by the footy dept? I saw the footage but can't listen to the sound.

I was at Olympic Park around lunchtime today and from what I could see, the netting was still up on the Australia Ave perimeter of the driving range, the main building accessed from the Olympic Blvd entrance still has 'Olympic Park Golf' on it, and it isn't even able to be accessed by vehicle or pedestrians due to the temporary construction fencing. Trying to get a sneak peak from Shirley Strickland Ave and it very much still looks like a construction site, but that vid/pic shows the turf in decent training nick even if the tee off area for driving still looks like its intact.

Training oval only. The building is still a way off (hence the construction, etc).

Apparently the club were not happy with having to travel constantly to different training grounds so they announced the new oval early so that they could save on daily travel timE

I actually think this is the biggest disgrace of AFL. I would be embarrassed to support most Melbourne teams. It may as well be the Melbourne Blues, Melbourne Magpies, Melbourne Demons, Melbourne Tigers, Melbourne Kangaroos, Melbourne Bulldogs, Melbourne Saints, Melbourne Hawks, Melbourne Bombers.

Don't St Kilda play out of Etihad instead of the MCG which is the closer ground? That is so stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back