News GWS to have training base built; Tom Wills Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I had not seen that but it looks great. The Giants are pretty fortunate to have their training/admin facilities and stadium all within the same precinct. Are the Giants the only sports team to be based at Sydney Olympic Park?

Yep. Bulldogs did for a while until Belmore was renovated. Souths is the only other full time tenant.

Yep. Bulldogs did for a while until Belmore was renovated. Souths is the only other full time tenant.

So does that mean we are actually based in a South Sydney? I thought we were Western Sydney, greater western Sydney even. If Souths are the other tenant in the precinct and every other club in every other sport play, train and live in the area their name suggests, and they were here before us, then the Olympic precinct must actually be in South Sydney. we now have to change our name. Shame on us for calling ourselves GWS when we are actually based on South Sydney.

So does that mean we are actually based in a South Sydney? I thought we were Western Sydney, greater western Sydney even. If Souths are the other tenant in the precinct and every other club in every other sport play, train and live in the area their name suggests, and they were here before us, then the Olympic precinct must actually be in South Sydney. we now have to change our name. Shame on us for calling ourselves GWS when we are actually based on South Sydney.

If we're going off previous tenants (bolded are current), the precinct is in the south (Rabbitohs), west (Tigers), Parramatta (Eels - partial), Cantebury (Bulldogs), Bankstown (Bulldogs), St George and the Illawarra (Dragons)... :D

Good get getting Hockey to attend. Obviously your chairman Tony Shepherd (Head of business council Australia, and the governments commission of audit) pulled some strings...

Bgtv_XzCcAA19qH.jpg

Good get getting Hockey to attend. Obviously your chairman Tony Shepherd (Head of business council Australia, and the governments commission of audit) pulled some strings...

I must say I've noticed Tony popping up all over the place since the last federal election. Beats having Labor party members in a state with Liberal state and federal governments like Brisbane currently does (Cameron Milner).

I must say I've noticed Tony popping up all over the place since the last federal election. Beats having Labor party members in a state with Liberal state and federal governments like Brisbane currently does (Cameron Milner).
I am constantly amazed at how well connected the AFL is with government. Some of it is luck. For example, the AFL were desperately hoping Anna Bligh won the QLD state election of 2009. She was a big supporter of the Suns and instrumental in getting funding for Metricon stadium. In the blue corner was the LNP with Clive Palmer funding them (then still owner of the GC united in the A-league). Bligh won that election comfortably. SA state labour were also big supporters of the Adelaide Oval. Also, the WA state Liberal party were also big supporters of the brand new 60,000 Perth stadium (Labour favoured a redeveloped Subiaco). From a big business point of view, we will now we have Kim Williams on the AFL commision, we've talked about Tony Shepherd, and I have just discovered that the Alcoa managing director, who has had his face plastered all over the news today with the job losses in Geelong, is the chairman of WCE!

Looking at the non-traditional states' board members:

GWS:
Tony Shepherd - Strong Liberal links.
Gabrielle Trainor - Strong Liberal links.
Peter Taylor - Strong Labor links.
Michael Costello - Strong Labor links.
Swans:
Surprisingly, none obvious.
Brisbane:
Cameron Milner - Strong Labor links.
Gold Coast:
John Witheriff - former director of many Qld government entities under Labor.
Paul Scurrah - former CEO of Queensland Rail under Labor.

Looks like the Qld teams got caught on the hop with Newman getting voted in. ;) However I do know that the Lions #1 ticket holder is Newman's wife, somewhat pointlessly.

Looking at the non-traditional states' board members:

GWS:
Tony Shepherd - Strong Liberal links.
Gabrielle Trainor - Strong Liberal links.
Peter Taylor - Strong Labor links.
Michael Costello - Strong Labor links.
Swans:
Surprisingly, none obvious.
Brisbane:
Cameron Milner - Strong Labor links.
Gold Coast:
John Witheriff - former director of many Qld government entities under Labor.
Paul Scurrah - former CEO of Queensland Rail under Labor.

Looks like the Qld teams got caught on the hop with Newman getting voted in. ;) However I do know that the Lions #1 ticket holder is Newman's wife, somewhat pointlessly.
so all we need now is an inner city greenie,
this would complete our political clout and diversity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And don't forget, just across the road is the swimming pool and complex used at the Olympics.
Cool so most likely gws doesn't have a pool then because they can go across the road. Wouldn't make sence having a pool with the pool across the road.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back