GWS Uncontracted and Free Agency Targets 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
ESSENDON has banned Michael Hurley from discussing his future, while staying confident they can keep him from the clutches of AFL expansion team Greater Western Sydney.
The tall utility is a key target for the Giants, who are in the second year of their recruiting concessions.

Hurley comes out of contract at the end of this season and if GWS can convince him to move north, there is nothing the Bombers can do about it.

Also in this clip Hurley showing all the body language of someone who might of signed a heads of agreement with GWS ;)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...his-future-plans/story-e6frf9jf-1226270963669

Apparently on 3AW Gerard Healy said his mail is Sam Fisher is more of a target for GWS than Goddard. But given he is 29 - doubt he would be an uncontracted player target, maybe if a target at all GWS would look to get him as a free agent and just have him playing for a year or 2 then move into a coaching role as they have done this year with Powers and Brogan.

I wonder what it feels like to support a club that is the home of disloyal players. Maybe GWS should have called themselves the Traitors.

Loyal clubs that want to keep players dont offer them one-year, rent-a-player contracts.

Try offering him a three-year deal, as Collingwood did to Swan.

I wonder what it feels like to support a club that is the home of disloyal players. Maybe GWS should have called themselves the Traitors.

Hey, Mal Michael called. He wants to laugh at you.

I believe that Giants have performed well with their targeting of uncontracted players. They older talent they brought in, they got for nothing while spending money on younger guns that will give the club service over 10 years.
I also believe that the Giants will perform worst than the Suns in their first year but will win a flag first.
Can you please leave Hurley alone. :)

how long do you reckon until essendon supporters embrace the fact hurley might leave, ignorant melbourne waited far far too long.

offer the bloke a contract he wants! haha. i do believe his future lies with the bombers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also in this clip Hurley showing all the body language of someone who might of signed a heads of agreement with GWS ;)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...his-future-plans/story-e6frf9jf-1226270963669

CaptainMyCaptainMyCaptain,

A heads of agreement is all very well, but he either signs with someone, or he doesnt - I very much doubt the AFL will pay any attention what so ever to a heads of agreement if he jumps the opposite way to any given Heads of Agreement.

I feel since GWS are my second team, I'm not sure if I can say 'we'. I'll go with it.

Okay, we can sign 1 uncontracted player from each club except Gold Coast.

Signed so far:
Phil Davis (Adelaide)
Callan Ward, Sam Reid (Bulldogs)
Rhys Palmer (Fremantle)
Tom Scully (Melbourne)

In theory, we can sign 12 more players, one from each of:
Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast

Having signed exclusively young players in the first window , will we sign more high-profile players (eg Goddard, Pendlebury) at the end of this year? Or more young players (eg Hurley)?

Kuluk,

Theres a third possibility - dedicate the cap room to putting GWS' existing young players onto longer contracts.

I can easily see GWS signing another batch of close-to-retuirement veterans, and Cameron on a four year deal, Cooyou for three years, Coniglio and Shiel on four year deals and so on.

We are almost certainly targeting a young KPP (Hurley) and a ruckman as well. I think Hurley might become this year's hyped about move. We known what's happened with the previous hyped moves (Ablett, Scully).

I feel since GWS are my second team, I'm not sure if I can say 'we'. I'll go with it.

Okay, we can sign 1 uncontracted player from each club except Gold Coast.

Signed so far:
Phil Davis (Adelaide)
Callan Ward, Sam Reid (Bulldogs)
Rhys Palmer (Fremantle)
Tom Scully (Melbourne)

In theory, we can sign 12 more players, one from each of:
Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond, St Kilda, Sydney, West Coast

Minor nitpick: it's 16 players, with at most one per club unless the other club signs off on the second or later players. So we can only sign 11 more players.

According to the Tele we are after Cloke

COLLINGWOOD superstar Travis Cloke is the next big-name target of the GWS Giants, with the new franchise able to outlay as much as $1.5 million a season to get their man.
With the 24-year-old out of contract at the end of the year, the Giants will use the remaining space in their salary cap allowance to snatch the 195cm power forward, continuing their plunder of the ranks of opposition clubs.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ard-travis-cloke/story-fn865146-1226277623041

Going for T. Cloke

From the Herald Sun;

"COLLINGWOOD star Travis Cloke is expected to be targeted by Greater Western Sydney, with the new franchise able to outlay as much as $1.5 million a season to get their man.

With the 24-year-old off contract at the end of the year, it is believed the Giants will use the remaining space in their salary cap to snatch the 195cm power forward."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ods-travis-cloke/story-e6frf9jf-1226277550091

Cloke is a beast of a CHF, would be a massive get. Though that is big money, is he worth it?

I found this interesting;

"Giants football operations manager Graeme "Gubby" Allan is expected to use his close family connections with the Clokes to help seal the deal."

Hurley > Cloke..

Though I have a soft spot for the Dons and hate the Pies, so mybe it would be better if we did get Cloke..

Hurley > Cloke..

Though I have a soft spot for the Dons and hate the Pies, so mybe it would be better if we did get Cloke..

Or get both ;)

I really do think we will only go after 3 uncontracted players max and it would make more sense for 2 talls and a ruck rather then chase a midfielder given how strong we are in this area.

Hurley > Cloke..

I have not seen much Collingwood but I always thought Cloke is a product of how good the Collingwood midfield is than rather how good he is...

Just chuck the 1.5mil or whatever at Buddy. :D

I have not seen much Collingwood but I always thought Cloke is a product of how good the Collingwood midfield is than rather how good he is...

Just chuck the 1.5mil or whatever at Buddy. :D

If that was at all possible that would be awesome as he would not only be great onfield but pr wise he would cut thru as well.
But safe to say we are no chance of getting him

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS Uncontracted and Free Agency Targets 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back