GWS Uncontracted and Free Agency Targets 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

According to this article we don't have any interest in Pendlebury or for that matter any mids. But rather we are after key postion players - which given our needs makes perfect sense

LOOMING Collingwood superstar Scott Pendlebury is off an ambitious Greater Western Sydney recruitment shopping list. Instead, the AFL’s new franchise is believed to have at least two key position stars in their recruiting sights, with Pendlebury’s Magpies premiership teammate Travis Cloke and Essendon young gun Michael Hurley as top priorities.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/02/23/pendlebury-off-gws-hit-list/

While not an official list this article gives a fair idea on what players qualify as free agents:

FOR years the league and AFL Players' Association have been squabbling over different models and formulas for free agency.
Finally it is upon us, but it is easy to get bogged down in the technicalities.
There are nearly 140 players who have reached the eight-year threshold, 72 of whom are out of contract at season’s end.
Many loyal veterans won’t be going of premiership success, or be given a contract with Tattslotto numbers that their existing club simply cannot match.
The AFL will announce the official list of uncontracted players on March 20, but Herald Sun experts JON RALPH and MICHAEL WARNER have provided an advance copy.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/who-is-up-for-free-agency/story-e6frf9jf-1226278832964

I have not seen much Collingwood but I always thought Cloke is a product of how good the Collingwood midfield is than rather how good he is...

Just chuck the 1.5mil or whatever at Buddy. :D

Cloke broke the record for contested marks last year, which is more a talent/individual thing.

He is miles ahead of Hurley atm.

Cloke broke the record for contested marks last year, which is more a talent/individual thing.

He is miles ahead of Hurley atm.

I'd take Hurley on talent and age, Cloke on making the most of his ability (so far). On balance, I'd hope for Hurley.

I'd take Hurley on talent and age, Cloke on making the most of his ability (so far). On balance, I'd hope for Hurley.

Cloke is only 24, while Hurley is 21. If we are going to outlay big $$$ for a forward Cloke will bring more to the club on and off the field. Your average Sydney punter has prob never heard off Hurley.

But I would be super pumped for either :)

Cloke is only 24, while Hurley is 21. If we are going to outlay big $$$ for a forward Cloke will bring more to the club on and off the field. Your average Sydney punter has prob never heard off Hurley.

But I would be super pumped for either :)

Your average Sydney punter would have never heard of Hurley, Cloke or most non-Sydney-based player except for maybe "that bald guy who's really good". ;)

Everything may seem rosy for GWS and The Gold Coast at the moment.

Where both these clubs have to factor in is that if say they did get Cloke for 1.5 million a year,and have paid way over the odds for all the players they are targeting and spalshing out for, they must consider their salary caps in two and three years time!

Remember the core of both these clubs is propped up by the AFL and the young players who are at these clubs are only there in fact all the players are there because they were chosen by the draft,and have been lurerd there,becuase of money.Not beacuse all these players want to be there.

When contracts come up for renewal and free agency comes in both these clubs will have a mutiny on their hands,cos a lot of the young kids will ask for high increases in salary to stay or get poached by other AFL clubs from their own states.Where will GWS and Gold Coast be then when that happens.
If Cloke wants to go for money good luck to him,we want 2 top 10 draft picks cos that's what it will cost you to get him plus the $$$$$,then pray he doesn't get injured.

Gee payback will be a real bitch.
So lets not get carried away too soon guys.

Gee payback will be a real bitch.
So lets not get carried away too soon guys.

You sound pretty bitter about a team that has not played one game yet.

I am having a hard time understanding what you have wrote, I guess you were educated in Collingwood? I believe you just explained to us how the salary cap system works. That was unnecessary, I can assure you as GWS fans posting on a Aussie Rules forum, we understand.

For what it is worth, if we end up with more than 1 team of All-Australian caliber players from effectively having around the first 20 picks in this years draft (including last years U/17s) then I do hope some of them go to other places for better opportunities in the years to come. I don't necessarily care if players go to other teams to get a better go, it just depends on HOW they leave. The reality is though, some will be great, others won't. Some will be worth keeping, others won't. A couple will leave because they want to play in their home town. A couple will leave for more money. A couple will leave to be in the first 22 for another team. It's AFL.

Everything may seem rosy for GWS and The Gold Coast at the moment.

Where both these clubs have to factor in is that if say they did get Cloke for 1.5 million a year,and have paid way over the odds for all the players they are targeting and spalshing out for, they must consider their salary caps in two and three years time!

I agree. After all, there's no way the club would think to front load all these contracts while 2/3rds or more of the club are on rookie contracts. Oh wait... :rolleyes:

I don't pretend to think that we won't lose some of our kids. I don't think we'll lose more than one or two out of those we don't want to lose though.

Exactly right Dia, what Daics is forgetting is GWS will simply front-load their big names just like we have done at the Suns. Guys like Gaz, Bock, Rischa, Brennan, Harbrow, etc were probably paid at least 50% of their current contracts last season.

It allows us to increase the $$$$ offered to our younger players over the next cpl years and also gives us the next 2-3 years to see which kids we want to throw the extra $$$ at to keep, and which we are willing to trade, etc as we continue to decrease our list.

And it seems to be working as all our younger guns have already extended their contracts apart from Caddy and Bennell. And I can't see why it won't work for GWS aswell.

Dear Daics Cousin,

Go read the AFL Free Agency Rules.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89809/default.aspx

If we go after Cloke, we will go after him as a Restricted Free Agent, because thats what he is, and *not* using the GWS concessions.

Collingwood would therefore argue compensation with the AFL, not us.

Next, we will lose quite a few of our very talented young kids. This will happen. Its inevitable some player will be looking at being fringe at GWS or a regular first grader elsewhere, and will demand a trade.

However, referring back tot he AFL Free Agency Rules, not having 8 years service, they need to demand a trade or go back into the draft.

You should also note Gold Coast, not being stupid, extended many of their good kids so they wouldnt go out of contract. It wouldnt surprise me if we did the same thing.

So the answer to your whine of "Where will GWS and Gold Coast be then when that happens" will be "Sitting on a whole bunch of shiny new draft choices".

Finally, yeah, we frontloaded the heck out of 2012 to clear cap room in future years. It wouldnt surprise me if we did the same thing in 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bastinac has put his contract discussion on hold, but have to say would be surprised if we had much interest in him. Really have to wonder if it wasn't for his friendship with Scully would there be any discussion about him joining GWS.

RYAN Bastinac has put contract talks with North Melbourne on hold in a move sure to fuel speculation that he is among Greater Western Sydney's uncontracted player targets for 2013.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/129769/default.aspx

The Herald Sun ran a list of free agents broken into a wish list for other clubs and players who are more likely to leave there clubs.

It included Jordan Russell (16 games last year), Shannon Byrnes (five games), Clint Young (10), Steven Salopek (12), Jarred Moore (three) and Matthew Bate (four). It's possible four of those six won't be at their clubs in 2013.
All of them have age on their side and most could do with more opportunity.
YOU WISH
1. Travis Cloke (Coll)
2. Brendon Goddard (StK)
3. Brett Deledio (Rich)
4. Sam Fisher (StK)
5. Steve Johnson (Geel)
6. Paul Chapman (Geel)
7. Heath Shaw (Coll)
8. Daniel Merrett (Bris)
9. Mark Jamar (Melb)
10. Ryan O'Keefe (Syd)
CAN GET
1. Brent Moloney (Melb)
2. Jordan Russell (Carl)
3. Michael Osborne (Haw)
4. Shannon Byrnes (Geel)
5. Clint Young (Haw)
6. Steven Salopek (Port)
7. Matthew Bate (Melb)
8. Lynden Dunn (Melb)
9. Jarred Moore (Syd)
10. Ricky Dyson (Ess

Were Terry Daniher, Anthony Daniher, Mal Michael, Sean Wellman, Adam McPhee and a heap of others also traitors and disloyal?
For the record Wellman was traded as part of the Crows getting Jarman - a 3 way deal if my memory serves me correctly

The AFL has released the official list of free and restricted agents and it has a fair bit of talent. Won't be surprised if we pick up 2-3 free agents along with 2-3 uncontracted players at the years end. Also interesting to see players that were linked to us last year are all unrestrcticted free agents - Sam Mitchell, Ricky Dyson, Jordan Russell and Steve Johnson

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...nder-free-agency/story-e6frf9jf-1226301662905

FREE AGENTS
Adelaide Crows
Michael Doughty Unrestricted
Chris Knights Unrestricted
Brisbane Lions
Jed Adcock Restricted
Simon Black Unrestricted
Jonathan Brown Unrestricted
Josh Drummond Restricted
Ash McGrath Unrestrcited
Carlton
Heath Scotland Restricted
Bret Thornton Unrestricted
Collingwood
Travis Cloke Unrestricted
Ben Johnson Restricted
Harry O'Brien Unrestricted
Heath Shaw Unrestricted
Essendon
Ricky Dyson Unrestricted
Dustin Fletcher Unrestricted
David Hille Unrestricted
Nathan Lovett-Murray Unrestricted
Mark McVeigh Unrestricted
Angus Monfries Restricted
Henry Slattery Unrestricted
Brent Stanton Restricted
Fremantle
Ryan Crowley Unrestricted
Antoni Grover Unrestricted
Luke McPharlin Unrestricted
Geelong
Shannon Byrnes Unrestricted
Paul Chapman Unrestricted
Corey Enright Unrestricted
Josh Hunt Unrestricted
Steve Johnson Unrestricted
Matthew Scarlett Unrestricted
David Wojcinski Unrestricted
Hawthorn
Chance Bateman Unrestricted
Luke Hodge Unrestricted
Sam Mitchell Unrestricted
Thomas Murphy Unrestricted
Michael Osborne Unrestricted
Brad Sewell Restricted
Clinton Young Unrestricted
Melbourne
Matthew Bate Unrestricted
Lynden Dunn Unrestricted
Brad Green Unrestricted
Mark Jamar Unrestricted
Brent Moloney Restricted
Jared Rivers Unrestricted
North Melbourne
Brent Harvey Unrestricted
Michael Firrito Unrestricted
Port Adelaide
Domenic Cassisi Unrestricted
Troy Chaplin Restricted
Brett Ebert Unrestricted
Danyle Pearce Restricted
Steven Salopek Unrestricted
Jacob Surjan Unrestricted
Richmond
Brett Deledio Restricted
Nathan Foley Restricted
Luke McGuane Restricted
Kelvin Moore Unrestricted
Shane Tuck Unrestricted
St Kilda
Jason Blake Unrestricted
Raphael Clarke Unrestricted
Sam Fisher Restricted
Brendon Goddard Restricted
Jason Gram Restricted
James Gwilt Unrestricted
Lenny Hayes Unrestricted
Justin Koschitzke Unrestricted
Stephen Milne Unrestricted
Leigh Montagna Unrestricted
Sydney
Jude Bolton Unrestricted
Jarrrad McVeigh Restricted
Jarred Moore Unrestricted
West Coast

Sam Butler Unrestricted
Andrew Embley Unrestricted
Darren Glass Unrestricted
Daniel Kerr Unrestricted
Quinten Lynch Unrestricted
Mark Nicoski Unrestricted
Matt Rosa Unrestricted
Western Bulldogs
Lindsay Gilbee Unrestricted
Ryan Hargrave Unrestricted
Will Minson Unrestricted

Dear Daics Cousin,

Go read the AFL Free Agency Rules.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89809/default.aspx

If we go after Cloke, we will go after him as a Restricted Free Agent, because thats what he is, and *not* using the GWS concessions.

Collingwood would therefore argue compensation with the AFL, not us.

Next, we will lose quite a few of our very talented young kids. This will happen. Its inevitable some player will be looking at being fringe at GWS or a regular first grader elsewhere, and will demand a trade.

However, referring back tot he AFL Free Agency Rules, not having 8 years service, they need to demand a trade or go back into the draft.

You should also note Gold Coast, not being stupid, extended many of their good kids so they wouldnt go out of contract. It wouldnt surprise me if we did the same thing.

So the answer to your whine of "Where will GWS and Gold Coast be then when that happens" will be "Sitting on a whole bunch of shiny new draft choices".

Finally, yeah, we frontloaded the heck out of 2012 to clear cap room in future years. It wouldnt surprise me if we did the same thing in 2013.

I hear and appreciate what you are saying Ian.
Dermott Brereton made an interesting point this morning on radio in Melb.

He said that he doubts Cloke will move because by the time GWS are ready to play serious finals football realistically, is possibly 5 years away.

Cloke will be at the end of his carreer then,Brereton said that Hurley would have been a better target for GWS beacuse he is only 21.But alas Hurley just re signed with the Bombers for the next 4 years.

I hear and appreciate what you are saying Ian.
Dermott Brereton made an interesting point this morning on radio in Melb.

He said that he doubts Cloke will move because by the time GWS are ready to play serious finals football realistically, is possibly 5 years away.

Cloke will be at the end of his carreer then,Brereton said that Hurley would have been a better target for GWS beacuse he is only 21.But alas Hurley just re signed with the Bombers for the next 4 years.

Fair to say that Hurley has the added value of being only 21. But our model is that we want to be pushing for finals in our 3rd year and assuming we meet that model Cloke will be on a 5 year contract and will experience finals footy with us, and if reports are true he will be getting 1.5mil a year so very hard to see him knocking GWS back. And there is also the possibility that GWS will get Cloke via free agency as a restricted free agent, and also might look at targeting Reid as an uncontracted player as well.

Fair to say that Hurley has the added value of being only 21. But our model is that we want to be pushing for finals in our 3rd year and assuming we meet that model Cloke will be on a 5 year contract and will experience finals footy with us, and if reports are true he will be getting 1.5mil a year so very hard to see him knocking GWS back. And there is also the possibility that GWS will get Cloke via free agency as a restricted free agent, and also might look at targeting Reid as an uncontracted player as well.

Well Mod,as long as the Pies win the flag this year i don't mind,good luck trying to secure both Cloke and Reid.Let's just say your wishing that will happen.Remember Cloke and Reid can write their own tickets at collingwood after their careers are over,and players don't only play just for money they play to win flags and play regularly in finals.Collingwood are the biggest brand in the league players just don't leave a top club,we are cashed up too.

But really it won't happen.Best of luck against Sydney i really hope you beat them,we shall banter more as the year progresses.

Cheers Guys

Well Mod,as long as the Pies win the flag this year i don't mind,good luck trying to secure both Cloke and Reid.Let's just say your wishing that will happen.Remember Cloke and Reid can write their own tickets at collingwood after their careers are over,and players don't only play just for money they play to win flags and play regularly in finals.Collingwood are the biggest brand in the league players just don't leave a top club,we are cashed up too.

Cheers Guys

GWS arent the only predator circling with Cloke. Collingwood either have to make him a very, very serious offer, or run the risk of someone else snarfing him.

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS Uncontracted and Free Agency Targets 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back