Review Hamish 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

By my calculations our Round 1 2021 team will field just 2 first round draft picks from the last 10 years.

Doedee and McHenry.

Now, not all of that is Hamish's fault. Rendell picked Brad Crouch in 2011 (mini draft but we'll call him first round). Also a couple of years of draft sanctions in 2012-13.

But come on, 2014 to 2020 out of 10 first round draft picks we have 2 players in our starting line up for Round 1 2021.

Milera is injured again, granted. But even if he was fit, 30% is a terrible strike rate for the first round.

Let's hear some excuses.

Bit harsh. None of this happens in a vacuum. You're using the wrong metric to make a meaningful judgement - how do other clubs rate over the same period?

We have a raft of recent first round picks close to playing seniors and we have one notable injured. It's not realistic to write off every single one of those as a bust based on the first named side of the year.

Let's see how many are playing by Round 22.

And I'll make my point clearer with this comparison

Since 2016

Milera - 62 games
Doedee - 30 games
Gallucci - 27 games
Fogarty - 24 games
Jones - 23 games
McAsey - 10 games
McHenry - 8 games

How many of them have really shown anything in those games though? Milera's played the most and even he has, at most, offered inconsistent flashes, and Doedee has so far been the only one to really demonstrate he could be a 200 game or better player, but has been injured quite a lot so early.

Gallucci, Jones, and McHenry have all looked at sea at AFL level, unable to transition whatever they had at junior levels. Fogarty produces physical highlights, but doesn't produce solid foundational football, and his tweener body type struggles to find a role - not big enough for KPF, not agile enough for midfield, not enough endurance for a running medium forward.

While there's almost certainly some development issues at the club, I think the strongest argument put forward by both lists of players you provided is that the players we identify, pursue, and sign are largely the wrong players - in the draft and in trade.

None of our first round picks in the last ten years were particularly good

even the ones people mark down as wins aren’t, they’re moderately par at best

not one of our first round picks should have gone higher than they did

Milera off a back flank when we finally settled him there after shunting Dmac was tracking that way. But then a preseason intervened and we forgot and reset and he went back to being an sub-average fwd/mid.

How many of them have really shown anything in those games though? Milera's played the most and even he has, at most, offered inconsistent flashes, and Doedee has so far been the only one to really demonstrate he could be a 200 game or better player, but has been injured quite a lot so early.

Gallucci, Jones, and McHenry have all looked at sea at AFL level, unable to transition whatever they had at junior levels. Fogarty produces physical highlights, but doesn't produce solid foundational football, and his tweener body type struggles to find a role - not big enough for KPF, not agile enough for midfield, not enough endurance for a running medium forward.

While there's almost certainly some development issues at the club, I think the strongest argument put forward by both lists of players you provided is that the players we identify, pursue, and sign are largely the wrong players - in the draft and in trade.
Does it really matter whether they haven't shown much?

We prioritised even worse players that we immediately got rid of.

He's been here since 2006 I believe, and has overseen a lot of good, and his fair share of bad drafts as well.

With what's gone on in his own personal life in recent times it might be a good time to find a successor.

Milera off a back flank when we finally settled him there after shunting Dmac was tracking that way. But then a preseason intervened and we forgot and reset and he went back to being an sub-average fwd/mid.

Milera is a disappointment but even at his best, he’s no more than par.

decent half back runners aren’t worth more than pick 11, and rarely even that

I think if they consistently make AA squads they are better than par for pick 11. And that's what I reckon that's where he was heading.

absolutely not. I don’t think he was heading there and that’s still a fairly cheap position

and we wouldn’t get offered pick 11 for him in trade either.

He’s one of the least worst outcomes and maybe that’s swayed you. But no way has he shown anything like what he was drafted for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say its time to thank Hamish and we look elsewhere. I dont rate him. Throw money a PA's recruiter. He seems to know talent.
Funny, because he's the same guy who was there pre 2018 when we mocked them.

This whole "Hamish doesn't know talent" line is garbage.

Milera is a disappointment but even at his best, he’s no more than par.

decent half back runners aren’t worth more than pick 11, and rarely even that
Milera should be considered a fail imo, not because of his injuries but because we drafted him to play as a mid/forward but needed to shunt him to half back to get some decent footy out of him. You dont waste first round picks on rebounding half backs.

And I'll make my point clearer with this comparison

Since 2016

Milera - 62 games
Doedee - 30 games
Gallucci - 27 games
Fogarty - 24 games
Jones - 23 games
McAsey - 10 games
McHenry - 8 games

Total - 184 games

Lyons - 20 games the year we trade him
Henderson - 9 games the year we delist him
Van Berlo - 3 games in his final year
Hampton - 12 games total
Menzel - 4 games total
Beech - 3 games total
Gibson - 5 games total
Cheney - 8 games in year we delist him
Douglas - 9 games in year we delist him
Greenwood - 14 games in year we trade him after refusing to match his contract demands
Keath - 18 games in year we trade him after refusing to match his contract demands
Ellis-Yolmen - 10 games in year we let him walk as a free agent
Jacobs - 5 games in year we let him walk
Otten - 3 games in his final year
Jenkins - 11 games in the year we trade him
Gibbs - 3 games in year he retires
Crocker - 7 games then delisted
Hartigan - 12 games in the year we let him walk as a FA
Brad Crouch - 12 games in the year we push him out the door
Atkins - 4 games in the year we him walk as a FA
Betts - 21 games in year we sent him to Carlton

Total - 193 games

We have spent more games on players that we immediately got rid of than we have on long term first round draft pick prospects, since 2016

Seems like serious resource mismanagement to spend more games on players we deem aren't good enough, than on players someone at our club has already deemed to be AFL quality
Could it be an actual perk written into your contract at the AFC that guarantees you games in the final year of it?

Because that will at least explain all the games that will be given to Walker, Seedsman, Kelly, Mackay and Lynch who are all in the final year of their current contracts this year.

I do question his rating of midfielders, especially with our early picks which he seems to have a repetitive type they go for.

2013 - Pick 23, Matt Crouch, 182cm
2014 - Pick 35 on Harrison Wigg, 180cm
2015 - Pick 15 on Jordan Gallucci, 182cm
2018 - Pick 9 on Chayce Jones, 180cm and Pick 16 on Ned McHenry, 179cm
2019 - Pick 24 on Harry Schoenberg, 180cm.
2020 - Pick 11 on Luke Pedlar, 183cm and Pick 28 on Sam Berry 180cm.

He does seem to do better on judging elsewhere.
2014 got us Lever, McGovern and ROB. Both Lever and McGovern looked very good with us, less so once they moved on.
2015 he got Doods, as well as Hunter in the rookie draft who is now with the Saints and Keath with the Bulldogs. Greenwood was a win and one of the rare times we picked up a taller mid, but he's gone now.
2016 was a total bust with two midfielders with our first two picks, found Himmelberg at 51 which is a solid return.
2017 was Fog who has disappointed so far, but I think most people would have grabbed him at that point. McPherson looks like a winner, but he also slid fairly far due to his injury issues and was another no brainer at when we were picking.
2018 was Jones and McHenry with our first two picks which looks like a fail so far. McHenry looks like he might find a role, but don't think he'll justify his draft position. Hamill and Scholl as running defenders later in the draft look like good picks, along with Butts as a rookie.
2019 - Looks to have reversed roles here, McAsey early looks like a dud, Schoenberg showing potential.

Won't judge this years crop of players yet and I know we have blokes like Gollant and O'Connor who we hope can develop into taller midfielders, but it's not pretty reading on the mids we've drafted over the last 8-10 years, especially when you throw in other mids we've drafted through various drafts who didn't fire much like Sam Kerridge, Mitch Grigg, Patrick Wilson, Anthony Wilson, Matthew Signorello, James Battersby and Alex Spina. Also have to consider our trade ins, Hampton, Menzel who talked about moving into the midfield as well. Wasted 2nd rounders there.

Basically we've now got Sloane who we drafted 12 years ago, Crouch who we drafted in 8 years ago, turned Laird from a small defender into a mid last year, Keays as a dumped rookie selection and Seedsman as a trade-in as our starting midfield, along with maybe getting a cameo from Schoenberg and Berry today.

By my calculations our Round 1 2021 team will field just 2 first round draft picks from the last 10 years.

Doedee and McHenry.

Now, not all of that is Hamish's fault. Rendell picked Brad Crouch in 2011 (mini draft but we'll call him first round). Also a couple of years of draft sanctions in 2012-13.

But come on, 2014 to 2020 out of 10 first round draft picks we have 2 players in our starting line up for Round 1 2021.

Milera is injured again, granted. But even if he was fit, 30% is a terrible strike rate for the first round.

Let's hear some excuses.
Recruiting, List Management and List Manager (3 most important people in a club btw) all need to go. Riccuito, Reid, Ogilvie. Been saying it for some time and they are the root of our problem. When you hire amateurs you get the shit they have routinely served up.

Last edited:
Recruiting, List Management and List Manager all need to go. Riccuito, Reid, Ogilvie. Been saying it for some time.They are the root of our problem. When you hire amateurs you get the sh*t they have routinely served up.
Hamish is an amateur ?? FFS we've got some idiots on this board.

Yeah, look: either our selections are rubbish or our drafting is rubbish or both.

The club behaves as if its neither.
Or our development has been rubbish, for at least the last 5 years.

How much is making the wrong selections, and how much is failing to develop them, is anyone's guess.

I lean towards development failure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Hamish 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back