Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 16, 2005
True centre half forward
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hibees
Shane Crawford says here that H-Mac should be the starting AA ruckman this year.

Its hard to disagree - the big fella has had evry good and very consistent year.

Given he was very briefly up for trade last year, if the same scenario were to repeat itself, what would Hamish be worth, given he is still only 24 and in career best form and good injury nick?

(Was talking to a North supporter the other day and fantasing about how if we had traded him for a top 10 pick ... plus other stuff ... last year we could have got Ziebell AND Rich.)

• Banned
I doubt that Ruckman are that valuable as draft picks.

I dont think a club would offer top 10 - but definitely 11-20.

Just one?

Recent trading history would indicate clubs DO value ruckmen very highly and are prepared to part with high picks to get them - see the Warnock and Wood trades.

And no disrespect to them, but they aren't in Monster's league.

This is a bloke who was close to AA in 2007, is in AA form this year and is still only 24.

What would a club like say a Collingwood, who need a quality ruckman, give up for that missing link that could help them win a flag?

You could have bumped one of the other many threads on this.

And that is the 2nd time you have said we could have had Rich and Ziebell and that is simply not true unless we traded Mac to Brisbane for pick 6 (which would never happen as they have great ruck stocks).

I don't understand the point of this thread. All you will get on here is idiots saying stuff like "Ben Johnson + Alan Toovey + 4th rounder".

The real answer is that we would need 1 high 1st rounder + more.

He was not really up for trade last year and I don't know why we would be trading away our only consistent gun player who still hasn't hit his peak. Last years trade period antics were ridiculous and they won't do it to him again. He loves it here and wants to be a 1 club player.

yea bro nice write up there by crawf but the only reason i can think of u starting this thread would be to get opposition fans to pump up the big h and if that was the reason you could have posted it on the main board

maybe i am a bit touchy because i have seen u all over the joint suggesting we should trade away 3 of my favourite players

Ottens was a touch older, and not in as good form, and got two first round picks. Everitt was older and got picks #6 and #22. Thompson got a first and second round picks. The unproven Wood and Jolly both got first round picks.

So probably two picks, both first round one at lest being top 10.

Ottens was a touch older, and not in as good form, and got two first round picks. Everitt was older and got picks #6 and #22. Thompson got a first and second round picks. The unproven Wood and Jolly both got first round picks.

So probably two picks, both first round one at lest being top 10.

Yep, though we'd probably take top 3 and a high second rounder.

Then I suppose there is the element of players. North are crying out for a quality forward and good quick mids.

Wonder if the GC would look at David Swallow and one of their other high picks - say 13 - for a ready made 25 year old ruckman who would add size and toughness to a fledgling side?

yea bro nice write up there by crawf but the only reason i can think of u starting this thread would be to get opposition fans to pump up the big h and if that was the reason you could have posted it on the main board

maybe i am a bit touchy because i have seen u all over the joint suggesting we should trade away 3 of my favourite players

Mate, now the Buckley shenanigans is over, this is about the most interest we have left in the season after we sign our new coach.

For the record, I didn't want Hamish to go last season and I don't want him to go now. If only David 'Buddy' Hale hadn't fallen in a giant form hole we could consider trading one him, H, Goldy or Petrie but now we can't.

Dunno who else you have seen me wanting to trade - I did suggest on the North board that if the GC take David Swallow we could probably get more for Andrew than market value by playing the 'get the big brother up to look after the young fella' card. But I'm happy to keep Spitta too.

I started a 'What's Jesse Smith Worth' thread on this board predicated entirely on the notion of him leaving voluntarily coz he's out of contract. Now we learn from Daniel Wells on he North official site that the club 'wants Jesse to stay at the end of the season.'

There's only two trades I want to happen at the end of the year:

Riggio and Watt and our second rounder for J.Selwood.

AND

Ziebell in a straight swap for Big Bad Leroy Brown.

Make it happen Euge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a top 8 and a 2nd round pick at least. I can see hawthorn doing.
We probably won't have a top 8 pick? Even missing finals I don't think we'll end up with anything better than 10 with the likely priority picks to Melbuorne and WCE. I guess there could be a Hawthorn player traded for a high pick which would then be on-traded...

It's been rumoured that the club is looking to participate more strongly in trade week this year, so perhaps our first round pick will be available, and a ruckman could well be the target if they club doesn't think Bailey and Renouf (and Lowden and Walsh) are on the right track, but I would suggest that a key defender is a more likely target if they are prepared to pay quality players/picks for a quick fix. We do have quite a lot of young ruckmen currently on our list.

Yep, though we'd probably take top 3 and a high second rounder.

Then I suppose there is the element of players. North are crying out for a quality forward and good quick mids.

Wonder if the GC would look at David Swallow and one of their other high picks - say 13 - for a ready made 25 year old ruckman who would add size and toughness to a fledgling side?

The only problem is that the other bottom teams besides Melbourne don't really need a ruckman i.e. Freo- SAndilands, West Coast Cox, natanui, Richmond- Vickery, Putt.
THe teams that would really need a good ruckman are the Dogs (depending on how long they give Hudson) the Cats (especially if Ottens is a shadow of his former self) and the Hawks. We'd have to be angling for a first rounder plus a quality player, for example Geelong's first rounder and Kelly, which they'd be unlikely to do.

I do agree with your assessment about Hmac to the GC. They'd really be crying out for a ruckman, because the options of a ready made ruckman are pretty bare. A couple of first rounders would definately be handy from next years draft, because we will always have GOldy and Hale that can do a decent enough job in the ruck.

Such a pointless thread and obviously just made for an ego boost. Unless North are stupid, they're not going to trade him as he's been your best player this year. To also suggest the club would want 2 first round picks or more is laughable, that's a Judd like trade and Hmac is good player but far from elite. At most you would get is a late first-round + second rounder.

There's only two trades I want to happen at the end of the year:

Riggio and Watt and our second rounder for J.Selwood.

AND

Ziebell in a straight swap for Big Bad Leroy Brown.

Make it happen Euge.

Get off the crackpipe. As if Geelong would be willing to trade Selwood for those two spuds and a draft pick

Get off the crackpipe. As if Geelong would be willing to trade Selwood for those two spuds and a draft pick

Its a running joke on the North board.

Originally started with Kerr and Murphy, people suggesting clubs would take spuds like Watt and a second rounder for a front line like Selwood et al.

This is precisely it.

Say the Dogs - they've got a fair few of the quick skilled mid types we need.

What do you reckon would be a fair trade with them?

we have enough ruckman and good prospects in roughead and cordy.

If we didnt have any, then we would probably give ryan griffen. + early 3rd rounder.

the only problem is that the other bottom teams besides melbourne don't really need a ruckman i.e. Freo- sandilands, west coast cox, natanui, richmond- vickery, putt.
The teams that would really need a good ruckman are the dogs (depending on how long they give hudson) the cats (especially if ottens is a shadow of his former self) and the hawks. We'd have to be angling for a first rounder plus a quality player, for example geelong's first rounder and kelly, which they'd be unlikely to do.

I do agree with your assessment about hmac to the gc. They'd really be crying out for a ruckman, because the options of a ready made ruckman are pretty bare. A couple of first rounders would definately be handy from next years draft, because we will always have goldy and hale that can do a decent enough job in the ruck.

jack dyer used to say=get a good ruckman and build a side around him=like we done with corza.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hamish McIntosh - What's He Worth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back