Cancelled
Aug 23, 2002
South Shepparton
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
swans
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=99804

Just when it looked like common sence would prevail, self-interest and weakness takes over. What is this sport coming too.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The MCG will host a minimum of one final each week of the 2003 finals series – and not just a preliminary final and the grand final – regardless of which teams are involved in the September action.

In a move that will likely further anger the six non-Victorian clubs, who currently occupy six of the top seven positions on the ladder, there is now a strong possibility that the MCG will host not only a preliminary final but also an elimination and a semi-final between two non-Victorian teams.

AFL chief executive Wayne Jackson revealed to afl.com.au on Tuesday that the impasse over finals scheduling with the Melbourne Cricket Club will not only affect the preliminary final but the first two weeks of the finals.

This follows talks breaking down on Monday with both sides now at an “impasse” over where the finals should be played.

The news that a minimum of one final per week will be played at the MCG comes despite the AFL now being able to “bank” finals in the first two weeks of the finals series.

However Jackson told afl.com.au the league was not prepared to risk playing no games at the MCG over the first two weeks of this year’s finals series – despite the non-Victorian domination - because it would then owe the MCG extra finals in the next two seasons.

Under the new agreement with the MCC signed in 2001, the AFL has to play a minimum of six finals over the first two weeks of the final in any three year period - as well as one preliminary final and a grand final – as opposed to one final per week at the ground as was the case previously.

But due to the current domination of the competition by the six non-Victorian clubs – Jackson said if the league decided to play all finals away from the MCG in the first two weeks this season it could cause even further problems down the track.

“It (the stand-off with the MCC) will relate to all finals and not just the preliminary final,” Jackson said.

“We will have to play one (final) per week (at the MCG) this year because we haven’t got anything in the bank to off-set it again next year.”

That is because the AFL only played the minimum number of four finals at the MCG last year in the first year of the new agreement.

That means the AFL has no room to stage extra finals away from the ground this season.

“If we went into overdraft (having to owe the MCG extra finals) it would put incredible pressure on us next year,” Jackson said.

“We could go into the negative if we wanted to take the risk but then if the same situation happened again next year (with non-Victorian sides again dominating), you are in a worse situation.”

Jackson said the AFL would not be able to reward all non-Victorian clubs with home finals – if the MCC refused to back down - until it had a year where extra finals were played at the MCG in a previous season.

Such was the case in 1995 when all nine finals were played in Melbourne due to the dominance of Victorian clubs.

This means that if the six non-Victorian clubs finished in the top six places at the end of round 22 this year – they currently hold six of the top seven spots – then a non-Victorian club would have to host a Victorian club in an elimination final in week one of the finals at the MCG.

This would most likely be the clash between the sixth and seventh placed sides as teams one, two and five would have home state advantage for their finals against teams four, three and eight respectively.

And providing the six non-Victorian teams kept winning their finals it would mean the MCG would not only stage a preliminary final between two non-Victorian clubs but also a semi-final the previous week.

Based on the current ladder – the Kangaroos, who are sixth, would be the only Victorian side that would earn a home final at the MCG by having finished higher on the ladder and that would be for the first week of the finals only.

Therefore the remainder of the three finals the AFL plans to play at the MCG would either be between two non-Victorian clubs or with a non-Victorian club hosting a Victorian club despite having finished higher on the ladder.

While the MCG has never staged a final between two non-Victorian clubs, on three previous occasions a non-Victorian club has been forced to host a final against a Victorian club at the MCG despite finishing higher on the ladder.

And on the first two occasions this resulted in West Coast copping hidings in knockout semi-finals from Essendon in 1996 and Carlton in 1999 while last year Adelaide beat Melbourne in a semi-final.

Jackson said he was bitterly disappointed the MCC again refused to give ground during Monday’s negotiations.

“We have reached an impasse,” he said. “It’s very, very disappointing they won’t recognize the position or give any relief to the position we’ve got.”

“I don’t understand why they won’t do it, they are not going to be worse off financially because we said we will protect their position financially.”

“We have said to them ‘just do what’s fair but they say ‘no, they won’t’ so we are at an impasse.”

MCC general manager Stephen Gough has consistently said the MCC will not budge, saying his organisation had already given the AFL to right to shift finals from the ground in the first two weeks of the finals.

But Gough told afl.com.au recently that if the MCC also allowed the preliminary final to be moved away from the MCG – membership and as a result long-term revenue for the MCC would fall threatening its ability to finance the ground’s re-development which could in turn results in admission costs rising for all AFL matches.

Until any of the other states can put on a footy match where 80,000 people can attend I agree all prem and grand finals should be in Melbourne.
I think its crazy a team like freo that would play maybe 1 match a year at the MCG, and then if they deserve have home finals and end up at the G on the last saturday of september.....

I would be lining up to play as much as possible where the big one will be played.

Here's the other thread on the same topic.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72245

Wayne Jackson is a liar. The only way this banking system is going to be effective is to use it now - the worst that can happen is the same number of wrongly placed finals as would happen now, with the only variation possible being less games wrongly placed.

Sure, he might come under pressure if the same configuration lines up next year. By saying that, he's basically saying that we're not making enough pressure right now and figures that spreading it over many seasons, he can go on ignoring it. Nice work, Wayne. Good job showing what you think of the national league.

Really nothing has changed since last year. The AFL didn't want to play Adelaide's semi at Football Park as it would put them in deficit under the banking system and only exacerbate the problem a year or two down the line.

The AFL will be hoping the Kangaroos can snag a top 6 finish, maybe even a top 4 finish. But its now almost certain that the a non-Victorian team's hosting rights to a semi or a preliminary final - and probably both - will be taken away.

:mad:

Originally posted by MG77B
Until any of the other states can put on a footy match where 80,000 people can attend I agree all prem and grand finals should be in Melbourne.
Until Victoria can put on a footy match where 30,000 members of the home side can attend, they certainly shouldn't host any finals.

Well if the interstate premiers are so keen on finals being played interstate, then they should inform the MCC that they will reimburse them for any lost $$$$, by the AFL breaching the contract.

Originally posted by DaveW
Really nothing has changed since last year. The AFL didn't want to play Adelaide's semi at Football Park as it would put them in deficit under the banking system and only exacerbate the problem a year or two down the line.
You mean, make it so that the dull roar of complaint becomes a tidal wave that might actually force the AFL to pay the **** up? Gee, wouldn't that be a bad thing - the AFL bowing to a request coming from outside Victoria for a change.

Originally posted by Porthos
You mean, make it so that the dull roar of complaint becomes a tidal wave that might actually force the AFL to pay the **** up? Gee, wouldn't that be a bad thing - the AFL bowing to a request coming from outside Victoria for a chance.
Exactly. The AFL prefer series of minor fiascos as opposed to one big one.

Originally posted by 1jasonoz
Well if the interstate premiers are so keen on finals being played interstate, then they should inform the MCC that they will reimburse them for any lost $$$$, by the AFL breaching the contract.
Of course, if the AFL are so keen on forcing the national competition to stay Victorian, maybe these `home' clubs should sue the crap out of the AFL for lost support, membership etc by not being able to play the home finals that the competition guarantees to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL I knew there'd be a few threads about the story so I'll post my questions in every single one that pops up!

Questions - what the hell is an impasse?

Tell me about the Dome's finals contract which I think still applies?

Just a test run of current 8:

(1) Port v (4) Sydney @ AAMI

(2) West Coast v (3) Brisbane @ Subiaco

(5) Fremantle v (8) Collingwood @ MCG?

(6) Kangas v (7) Adelaide @ TD

--

Say all the home team wins, except for last one and Adelaide beats the Roos. Not saying it will happen, this is just to make sure the six non-victorian sides have to deal with the issue. Sorry North fans, just bear with me. Therefore:

Sydney v Freo @ SCG?

Brisbane v Adelaide @ MCG?

Now say the home sides win. Therefore:

Port v Brisbane @ AAMI?

West Coast V Sydney @ MCG?

Grand Final is at MCG so that's done and dusted. Grayham I read your answer to me about the ladder so thanks heaps.

Originally posted by Leigh

Just a test run of current 8:

(1) Port v (4) Sydney @ AAMI

(2) West Coast v (3) Brisbane @ Subiaco

(5) Fremantle v (8) Collingwood @ MCG?

(6) Kangas v (7) Adelaide @ TD
NO!

(5) Fremantle v (8) Collingwood @ Subiaco

(6) Kangas v (7) Adelaide @ MCG

Refer to numerous other threads explaining the Docklands rule.

Further to this scenario...

If Port beats Sydney:
* Port hosts FP prelim
* Winner WCE/Bris hosts MCG prelim
* Loser WCE/Bris hosts Subi/Gabba semi
* Sydney hosts MCG semi

If Sydney beats Port:
* Winner WCE/Bris hosts Subi/Gabba prelim
* Sydney hosts MCG prelim
* Port hosts FP semi
* Loser WCE/Bris hosts MCG semi

Originally posted by Magpie Magician
You can't even get 30,000 to a final in your home state.
Thats right. A final. Every other final we've played has been over that mark, and thats while only playing one final in Melbourne.

why change the system when the interstaters wont show up to thier home finals cos they complain about the price of the tickets, victorians will pay to see our sport at the mcg as the ground standards and facilities are better and of course way bigger.

Originally posted by mighty mick
why change the system when the interstaters wont show up to thier home finals cos they complain about the price of the tickets, victorians will pay to see our sport at the mcg as the ground standards and facilities are better and of course way bigger.
So if a Roos home match against Adelaide draws less at Docklands/Manuka than at Football Park, it should be moved to Football Park?

Some perspective please!

Originally posted by Porthos
Of course, if the AFL are so keen on forcing the national competition to stay Victorian, maybe these `home' clubs should sue the crap out of the AFL for lost support, membership etc by not being able to play the home finals that the competition guarantees to them.

When this aggreement/ contract was made, Subiaco was not even close to having the new stand built, it was basicaly a local suburban ground, with a grandstand up 1 end. Sydney and Brisbane where both basket cases. The SCG still had the grassed areas for the SE area. The Gabba was a mess.

At the time, no other ground in Aussie, was up the standard. If the AFL had known that, (A) We would host the Olympic games, which would provide Sydney with a 80,000 capacity, (B)also could somehow see into the minds futures state politicians, and realise that they would spend money on upgrading the varoius ovals, (which was done in most case's as re-election tools), then the AFL may not have made the aggreement, or should i call it by it's legal name, a legally binding, legally enforcable contract. If the interstate clubs are so keen on the AFL breaking a legally binding contract, then why don't they pay the legal cost's, restitution that the courts will order the AFL to pay.

Bye the way, i think it stinks about the current situation, but the AFL is over a barrel, they break a contact, we ALL pay big time, ie MCC will claim for lost catering, lost revunue, lost advertising, etc.

Everyone knows what the fair situation would be, pity that this is not fair.

No amount of whinging by me is going to change it. I just hope my club doesn't get effected by it.

How much would it take for the AFL/non-victorian clubs to seriously look at carting a heap of supporters over to Victoria so they can get a chance to see their team host a final?

Originally posted by 1jasonoz
If the interstate clubs are so keen on the AFL breaking a legally binding contract, then why don't they pay the legal cost's, restitution that the courts will order the AFL to pay.
Why don't the AFL? Can you give me one good reason of why this is not their responsibility, as caretakers of the game, as the management of the national competition, as administrators of an equalised comeptition, to fix?

Originally posted by Katthawk
why does the AFL pay for it? Is this something I didn't know about?
Maybe because, and read this carefully, because you've obviously missed it every other time.......because ITS THE INTERSTATE HOME GAME NOT BEING PLAYED AT HOME BECAUSE THE AFL, DESPITE THEIR ASSURANCES IN THE FINALS SYSTEM, HAVE DECIDED NOT TO.

This means that Adelaide members and supporters, who should be able to go to a home game, now cannot because it is not at home. This apparently (According to the MCC) requires compensation. Why should this not work both ways? Both sides have guarantees from the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang your heads in shame AFL/MCC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back