Hard luck stories

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't he play every H&A game, plus every final up to then?

Perhaps if Sheed's had dropped him in say round 20 it might not seem so harsh, plus he might actually have stepped up come finals time with his commitment and training.

I'd be seriously pissed off too if I played all 22 H&A games, plus every final and then wasn't selected to be perfectly honest.

In Round 20, he kicked 8 against the Dogs (the team only kicked 14!) By the PF, he had 5 touches (only Hills had less). In the SF, he had 2 touches (lowest bar 1 to Symons) and just 8 in the QF (Denham, Salmon and Symons around that or less). It was like the finals had got the better of him (and he was able to be countered in those matches).

13 touches in 3 matches (for just 1 goal) and rarely putting in on the track during the week. Sheedy had to make the call.

Out of 1993, there is one hard luck story. David Flood. Was only put out of the GF side by the previously injured Mark Harvey...and had done a good job in both the semi-final and preliminary final. Mark Bolton felt the same fate in missing out on the 2001 grand final side, despite having covered Lloyd's absence at FF well the previous week.

Gary Sidebottom when he was at Geelong. For either the '80 or '81 Prelim they forgot to pick him up in the bus. Left at Lara. One of those Prelims too Sam Newman was sent out as a decoy. Was in full playing rig, ran out with the team did the warm up then went back to the dressing rooms and got changed back into civvies.
Barry Stoneham was having a huge year at CHF, had finally come of age, snapped his leg late in the season, tried to rush back for the finals and stuffed it again. He was never the same after that.
Mick Malthouse missed the '80 Premiership with Richmond. I remember the news footage of him doing a fitness test and busting his shoulder/collar bone again.

Hawthorn Team in 2008 ;)

...By the PF, he had 5 touches (only Hills had less). In the SF, he had 2 touches (lowest bar 1 to Symons) and just 8 in the QF (Denham, Salmon and Symons around that or less). It was like the finals had got the better of him (and he was able to be countered in those matches).

13 touches in 3 matches (for just 1 goal) and rarely putting in on the track during the week. Sheedy had to make the call..

No doubt then, but shouldn't it have been made 2 - 3 weeks earlier?
Seems folly to take a player in that bad of form into a SF, and a QF to say the least.

Modra is probably the main one I reckon. Coleman Medal that year and blows his knee in the Prelim...though his form was ordinary in the 4-6 weeks leading up to taht game, he was obviously a defiante starter. Would the Crows have won the flag with him there is another question.

Primus doing his knee again in 04 was heart wrenching...especially seeing the scenes after the siren. Very emotional.

What about Brad Smith?

Drafted as a mature age recruit for the Eagles, after ripping it up in the WAFL. Two consecutive knee reconstructions later and his career was over without have ever played a game.

To really rub salt into the wounds he was delisted two years ago and has kicked the ton both years since!

Shane Bond got dropped for the 1995 grand final then left Carlton and played a reasonable career at Adelaide

That was Troy. Shane played in a flag for WC.

i believe he was on richmonds list earlier...... then got injured & delisted.

Different Brad Smith.

No doubt then, but shouldn't it have been made 2 - 3 weeks earlier?
Seems folly to take a player in that bad of form into a SF, and a QF to say the least.

He had form leading into the finals. Seemed to get around 20 touches a week. But, it was the pressure that got to him in the qualifying final. We did have some injuries at that time (we lost Symons in the semi-final), but, Derek can't be excused.

There were some good luck stories that year too.

Dean Wallis for one. But, you can see why Sheedy included him. Part of the reason we lost to the Blues in the first week of the finals was in part because of our inexperienced bodies. In came Deano..and out went Hanna.

Matthew Armstrong played his entire career at Fitzroy, comes to North gets dropped for the 96 GF side.

I think he retired after that

Played on in 1997,

How about Anthony Rocca, missed out on 1996 grand final for Sydney and 2003 grand final for Collingwood

Emergency in 1996 and suspended in 2003

To really rub salt into the wounds he was delisted two years ago and has kicked the ton both years since!
Yep really had no luck unfortunately. Won the Bernie Naylor medal in 03 and 04 (84 + 109 goals), had two consecutive knee reconstructions in 05 and 06 when he was on the Eagles list, and then wins the Naylor medal again in 07 and 08 (126 and 100+ goals).

Incredibly unlucky.

Sam Newman in 1967. Seriously injured in the first semi-final. Nearly died in the change rooms after been left alone. Lost a kidney. Geelong played off in the Grand Final against Richmond and were narrowly defeated by the umpires. Geelong did not make a grand final again until 1989, nine years after Newmans retirement. Although he did get to play a bit part in the 1980 finals campaign.

Yep really had no luck unfortunately. Won the Bernie Naylor medal in 03 and 04 (84 + 109 goals), had two consecutive knee reconstructions in 05 and 06 when he was on the Eagles list, and then wins the Naylor medal again in 07 and 08 (126 and 100+ goals).

Incredibly unlucky.

Bernie Taylor Medal???

Is thayt a medal for playing dead... much like the WCE this year???

weekendbernie.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trent Hentschel.

Did a knee and broke is leg late 2006, if he didn't (or if Biglands didn't do a knee in the Prelim) Adelaide would have won the Premiership.

Hentschel at that time had become the key to Adelaide's forward line and was on the cusp of taking the competition by storm. Obviously Adelaide's forward has missed him the last two seasons, and people forget that and him.

Coming back from injury this year he was an emergency for the Adelaide vs Brisbane game mid season. Unlucky hamstring injuries this year, understandable when coming back from such a horrific long term injury. Thankfully he has apparently been given a contract for next year, which is good, he is still relatively young and hasn't seem to lost too much movement from what I've seen, if any. Hopefully he gets back into it next year, it'll be quite a comeback if he does after being out for 2 full seasons.

I'm also thinking Danny Jacobs... can't remember the specifics, but thought he'd established his spot in the side and then injured himself for the run home to the 2000 Grand Final?

Carl Ditterich was suspended and missed six weeks for hitting Alex Ruscuklic in the second last round of the season in 1966.

But he wasn't too worried. He know there would be plenty more Saints Premierships to play in.

What about the great John Coleman, retaliated to harry casper and was suspended, missed the gf, bit before my time so a little unclear on the facts.

What about the great John Coleman, retaliated to harry casper and was suspended, missed the gf, bit before my time so a little unclear on the facts.
Casper had been hitting him all day. Coleman swung back once. Got 4 weeks (harsh back in those days). Missed the GF which we lost by a couple of goals. Had he been playing we would've doubtlessly won.

Me.

Played every game of under 18s and got dropped for the Grand Final. We were the best side all year and won the Grand Final easily. I didn't have a chance the following year when I didnt even rock up to Grand Final day to support my team. Was too shattered at that stage.

Would've been my only Premiership because I have never played since.

Ok heres an ancient one, years ago I worked as a beach inspector at Scarborough beach in Perth. There was this old bloke who used to sit on the beach every day. He looked like a side of beef propped up on the beach. We got talking, his name was Doug Oliphant, he was the first man to play 200 games for Perth F.C. in the old W.A.N.F.L. During world war 2 he was an 'unarmed combat' instructor'' in the army, in 1943 a general had him transferred to Melbourne so he could play for Fitzroy. He went really well, apparently he was killing them. Unfortunately he got in a bit of trouble something to do with booze and the generals daughter anyway he was shipped out and missed Fitzroy's 1944 flag. He was a great old guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard luck stories

Remove this Banner Ad

Back