Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

100%. Its all relative to what picks Essendon would get.

We will 100% get pick 1 for him + extra

Pretending it wont be the biggest haul in trade history is laughable also. He will clearly be the biggest trade in AFL history if it happens, in contract or not

A 26 year old Shai Bolton isnt worth just 30% less then a 19 year old Harley Reid...
Whats his value compared to JHF?

Why should it be the biggest trade haul? I assume WC won't trade him for 2 seasons at best as you have all eggs in the HR basket so won't entertain it if asked in 12 months. He will also not go public with it & be prepared to go another 12 months of speculation if he actually wants out.

He then needs to continue to improve. Right now of the most recent prodigies to come through, I think Sheezel, Ashcroft, Daicos & even Serong showed more in year 1. The difference is he is more powerful for a 1st year player so might turn into a beast but nothing is certain, he also won't be winning a Brownlow from WC's ladder position. I just can't see a club either having or paying more than Carlton did for Judd.
Because it will be the biggest contract in AFL history? You think a teams giving this bloke 10 year 20 mill deal and getting him for pick 10 and 15?

I think i missed some steps here. How is he getting a $10m pay cut to move?
What do you think his next contract is?

Eagles will 100% be offering 10/20 mill. If Essendon match that then 3 top 20 picks probably wont cut it for a trade. Maybe if they offer him say 5 years 6 mill then yeah 3 top 20 picks may make sense, but they aint gonna do that

Eagles will 100% be offering 10/20 mill. If Essendon match that then 3 top 20 picks probably wont cut it for a trade. Maybe if they offer him say 5 years 6 mill then yeah 3 top 20 picks may make sense, but they aint gonna do that
Does anybody know what Harley thought of Eagles trade period?
He might rate pick 3 alot higher than what eagles got, or he might think it was a good idea, or think of it as a 50/50 decision.

Wait what is the contract you expect to offering him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Harley Reid's manager is any good he won't be signing a 10 year deal until he is 23-24 years old. If they are smart maybe extend the contract to 2028 if he wants to stay at the Eagles a bit longer and then when he is 23 and shop around for the Big contract.

If WC are going to offer him 20m over 10 years, I think I'd prefer him to stay in WA and put up with his head in the news for 10 years. WC will never go anywhere if they pay that sort of wage based on potential.

There isn't a player in the country I'd pay 2m a year for.

Do you work for the West Australian? Not judging by how much they rate him, I'd be shocked any club can afford to pay someone 2m a year, let alone for a 2nd or 3rd year kid and for 10 years.
I don't think I've ever heard of s player being paid more than 10% of the salary cap for a decade in a comp where the playing group on the day is made up of 23 dudes and you have list of 38 senior listed.

You're asking for a decade of watching a prime Chris Judd play for Fitzroy until he slowly ages out

I don't think I've ever heard of s player being paid more than 10% of the salary cap for a decade in a comp where the playing group on the day is made up of 23 dudes and you have list of 38 senior listed.

You're asking for a decade of watching a prime Chris Judd play for Fitzroy until he slowly ages out
Ben King is on around 8 percent at present. Not sure the 2 percent matters? That’s the future of football.

Eagles can offer that much also because us and St Kilda are not indexing wages based on the salary cap increases also. So if the salary cap goes up by 2 mill, other clubs are spreading this around to 44 players. Eagles will just have 2 million free to do whatever we want with.

Eagles have an ability to offer Reid much more than anyone else . The others will need to do similar

If Harley Reid's manager is any good he won't be signing a 10 year deal until he is 23-24 years old. If they are smart maybe extend the contract to 2028 if he wants to stay at the Eagles a bit longer and then when he is 23 and shop around for the Big contract.
Mac Andrew deals are the future. Reid’s 10 year deal would look similar to Mac Andrews one

Game is changing guys…

Ben King is on around 8 percent at present. Not sure the 2 percent matters? That’s the future of football.

Eagles can offer that much also because us and St Kilda are not indexing wages based on the salary cap increases also. So if the salary cap goes up by 2 mill, other clubs are spreading this around to 44 players. Eagles will just have 2 million free to do whatever we want with.

Eagles have an ability to offer Reid much more than anyone else . The others will need to do similar
Isn't Ben King on about a million a season? Aren't you proposing double that?

Isn't Ben King on about a million a season? Aren't you proposing double that?
Another example though is Shai Bolton. He is on 900k but it’s indexed against salary cap increases . He will get a 30 percent pay rise which puts him on around 1.3 mill

If Bolton is on 1.3 mill, then Reid getting 2 mill. Clayton Oliver will be on like 1.5 mill in comparison also. 2 mill will be about right for Reid when comparisons are done. Especially from a club like Eagles who have ample salary cap room to make it work

Another example though is Shai Bolton. He is on 900k but it’s indexed against salary cap increases . He will get a 30 percent pay rise which puts him on around 1.3 mill

If Bolton is on 1.3 mill, then Reid getting 2 mill. Clayton Oliver will be on like 1.5 mill in comparison also. 2 mill will be about right for Reid when comparisons are done. Especially from a club like Eagles who have ample salary cap room to make it work
Oliver will Max out at 1.4m in a contract indexing problem that is seen as a colossal error. A lot of the indexed contracts aren't really good comparison points because they didn't know the volume of cap increases. Feels like you're measuring against cautionary tales as the barometer.

Ablett was probably on 2m a year but that included 50% AFL top up not in the salary cap. Even someone in the GOAT convo couldn't get GC competitive. Judd was amazing but got injured and lost some pace. Dusty was amazing in finals and for 5 years but not 10. Fyfe was similar in his prime but it didn't line up with Freo's peak and his body got smashed.

10 years is crazy on top money.

Oliver will Max out at 1.4m in a contract indexing problem that is seen as a colossal error. A lot of the indexed contracts aren't really good comparison points because they didn't know the volume of cap increases. Feels like you're measuring against cautionary tales as the barometer.
I’m measuring against salary offers for Harley Reid. We can afford 10/20 without breaking a sweat. We can afford such a contract because of our better salary cap situation. Offering it to Reid to stay is much more logical use of money then say giving 1.5 mill to a 26 year old man as a example

Pay the extra to keep the quality. Otherwise why have free salary cap room? Should we offer 1.2 mill, have him leave and then take 3 teens picks instead?

Bolton isn't on 1.3m

Ablett was probably on 2m a year but that included 50% AFL top up not in the salary cap. Even someone in the GOAT convo couldn't get GC competitive. Judd was amazing but got injured and lost some pace. Dusty was amazing in finals and for 5 years but not 10. Fyfe was similar in his prime but it didn't line up with Freo's peak and his body got smashed.

10 years is crazy on top money.
Mac Andrew literally signed the same deal 6 weeks ago… i think Harley is getting something similar if Mac got it

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Harley Reid [OOC 2026]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back