Harry O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry O'Brien is fairly ordinary in my opinion.

He has the occasional good game in which he limits or restricts a damaging forward, however his efforts typically constitute nothing more than a whole lot of scragging and infringing, much of which he gets away with. He is a fairly uncoordinated and robotic type of player. Far from a natural.

One of my least favourite players in the comp.

His game revolves around clinging, grappling and scragging his opponent, whilst paying very little attention to the ball in flight. The only reason I can provide for the umps not paying double figure free kicks against him, per game, is that they feel sorry for him, as he does not possess a single ounce of football ability.

One of my least favourite players in the comp.

His game revolves around clinging, grappling and scragging his opponent, whilst paying very little attention to the ball in flight. The only reason I can provide for the umps not paying double figure free kicks against him, per game, is that they feel sorry for him, as he does not possess a single ounce of football ability.

lol ur just grumpy because he pulls down scotty lucas's pants routinely.
i don't think scotty enjoys playing on a physical player.....

He probably has Pie supporters biting their nails sometimes when he gets the ball but all in all he is a good young defender who should continue to improve.

He doesn't always look like a natural footballer, but his kicking would be just about top 5 at the club.

Harry'll be playing the Clement role for us for 10 years, and although he'll never be as good, he won't be far off.

He doesn't always look like a natural footballer, but his kicking would be just about top 5 at the club.

Harry'll be playing the Clement role for us for 10 years, and although he'll never be as good, he won't be far off.

Harry O'Brien will forever be a long, long way off that level.

Yep, not saying he is a bad kick.

I was more refering to the his awarness and decision making.

Plenty of development left in him and I'm pretty sure the coaching staff would be wrapped with what he has been able to achieve so far. Has one of the better side-steps in the game for mine, and before some of you start your moronic "what a clown" statements, take some time to watch him, especially live, and you will see what I'm talking about.

lol ur just grumpy because he pulls down scotty lucas's pants routinely.
i don't think scotty enjoys playing on a physical player.....

That is partly true.

He does keep Scotty very quite, if it was not for this, my hate would not be so strong, but I would still have no respect for him.

It is hard to have respect for a guy that has no real ability and who relies on bending and often breaking the rules to be effective. He manages to get away with it alot, so good luck to him, but don't expect too many opposition supporters to rate him.

That is partly true.

He does keep Scotty very quite, if it was not for this, my hate would not be so strong, but I would still have no respect for him.

It is hard to have respect for a guy that has no real ability and who relies on bending and often breaking the rules to be effective. He manages to get away with it alot, so good luck to him, but don't expect too many opposition supporters to rate him.

Silvagni - Full Back of the Century.

Harry O'Brien is fairly ordinary in my opinion.

He has the occasional good game in which he limits or restricts a damaging forward, however his efforts typically constitute nothing more than a whole lot of scragging and infringing, much of which he gets away with. He is a fairly uncoordinated and robotic type of player. Far from a natural.
steve johnsons says rewatch round 9 and report on who pantsed him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silvagni - Full Back of the Century.

Nice little dig mate, SOS was the best full back going around, in todays game of netball and how the rules are now, he would be at full forward, not at full back thats for sure.

On Harry O'Brien, in my opinion hes got a fair future ahead of him, he matches up well against most opponents, like most defenders when left one on one with his opponent he shits himself abit, worries more bout his man then where the ball is, but thats only gonna come with experience, it has helped him alot having Wakelin to learn off abit, so hopefully he can keep improving.

steve johnsons says rewatch round 9 and report on who pantsed him

Did Steve Johnson really say that? Oh, sorry, this is an internet forum, I better get down with the lingo eh?

Harry sure did beat Johnson that night - I've already admitted he occasionally limits or restricts forwards. Scott Lucas is another example.

It doesn't make him a good footballer however. Compared to players such as Steve Johnson and Scott Lucas, Harry comes up severely lacking with respect to natural footballing ability.

I personally find him very frustrating to watch, given his tendency to scrag and infringe against his opponent.

LOL

look at all the blues in here, oh but fev beat him lol.

Harry will be a real gun, A Grade talent without a doubt, only 21 YEARS OLD.

Cannot wait until this bloke is 24-25 and ripping sides apart from defense.

That is partly true.

It is hard to have respect for a guy that has no real ability and who relies on bending and often breaking the rules to be effective.
He manages to get away with it alot, so good luck to him, but don't expect too many opposition supporters to rate him.

Dustin Fletcher, exact reason why he isn't as good as he used be. Simply put the rule changes are adversely effecting the way he plays.

Every time Carlton play Collingwood, I always know Fev is going to kick a bag when he plays on O'Brien :)

He is just an okay player IMHO, and far from being an 'ELITE' defender ...
The best young defenders in the game, who are going to be elite in the next few years, are Michael Jamieson and Paul Bower from Carlton and Kel Moore and Thursfield from Richmond.

It doesn't make him a good footballer however. Compared to players such as Steve Johnson and Scott Lucas, Harry comes up severely lacking with respect to natural footballing ability.

I personally find him very frustrating to watch, given his tendency to scrag and infringe against his opponent.

He doesn't need to be pleasing to the eye or extremely skillful as long as he does the job Collingwood want him to do which is shut down key forwards.

I would love him in our team but of course we are also short of a lock down defender.

Would walk into most clubs best 22.

Silvagni had natural ability in bucket loads though.

Are you saying Harry doesn't?

Have you seen his evasiveness in traffic? Have you seen some of the goals he kicks? Have you seen him destroy almost every opponent (that's in his weight division) that he plays on? Open your eyes.

He doesn't need to be pleasing to the eye or extremely skillful as long as he does the job Collingwood want him to do which is shut down key forwards.

I would love him in our team but of course we are also short of a lock down defender.

Would walk into most clubs best 22.

Walking into most clubs best 22 as a 2-3rd defender and being elite/All-Australian, as the OP asked, are two different things.

Obviously a handy shut-down defender, but a long way off being elite/AA IMO.

Are you saying Harry doesn't?

Have you seen his evasiveness in traffic? Have you seen some of the goals he kicks? Have you seen him destroy almost every opponent (that's in his weight division) that he plays on? Open your eyes.

I saw the ball bounce off his chest when it was kicked straight at him, because he was too busy watching Lucas who was 10 metres away. Laughed my arse off.

I've seen the way he makes Shane O'Bree's kicking action look silky smooth and effective.

I've seen the way he always seems surprised and a little bit scared when the ball is kicked too him.

I've also seen parasites with less clinging ability.

He don't rely on footballing ability to get the job done. Do you suggest that he does?

As someone said above, could be a very sound third defender. Not big or strong enough to hold down the key posts, but can still play a valuable role as a mobile mid size defender. Kind of in the Brett Thornton mould.

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry O'Brien

Remove this Banner Ad

Back