Hartlett fined for being out drinking

Remove this Banner Ad

The club were the ones to put this out in the open aswell.

Press release, and a mention on 5AA tonight from our Comm's Manager.

Not sure how they found out about it, think it was someone at the pub (the Grand) who called up.

Better the club puts it out rather than a journo finds about about it in a few months and makes more of the story than what it is.

I remember training then to the pub but then the players were not professional.

I can understand the clubs view at the moment recovery sessions are pretty important especially for injury prone Hammer

I think if it was someone like motlop or pearce you guys would be calling for his head..
Pretty much. The double standards because it is a player people like are laughable. Alcohol affect the body's ability to heal. Considering we played on Sunday, i'm sure it is a club policy that no one go out drinking. Heaven forbid the club set standards it's players are required to meet, but i guess off field standards aren't meant to be there if you are sucky off the field. Why don't we just turn ito what St. Kilda was for thirty years.

The club were the ones to put this out in the open aswell.

Press release, and a mention on 5AA tonight from our Comm's Manager.

Not sure how they found out about it, think it was someone at the pub (the Grand) who called up.

If I heard correctly on MMM this morning, it sounded as though Hamish realised whatever he had done might have been wrong, gone to the club and put himself in.

Pretty much. The double standards because it is a player people like are laughable. Alcohol affect the body's ability to heal. Considering we played on Sunday, i'm sure it is a club policy that no one go out drinking. Heaven forbid the club set standards it's players are required to meet, but i guess off field standards aren't meant to be there if you are sucky off the field. Why don't we just turn ito what St. Kilda was for thirty years.

Not only are these club standards, they're set by the playing group so Hartlett would have known the rules and risks. To then go out and break them is rank stupidity and disrespectful to his teammates and deserves the penalty it attracts.

Not only are these club standards, they're set by the playing group so Hartlett would have known the rules and risks. To then go out and break them is rank stupidity and disrespectful to his teammates and deserves the penalty it attracts.

Agree completely. Anyone who knows a bit about exercise physiology would be aware of NO HARM- No Heat, Alcohol, Running/Exercise, Massage in the first 48 hours following soft tissue damage.

Hamish himself, with his injury history and his acknowledgement of a slight ankle injury in the game, should have been aware of this.

I have no problem with the penalty. Don't like the fact we even heard about it though. Is it becoming impossible to keep anything in-house anymore? Is it the smallness of Adelaide or do we have too many loose lips?

The club was burnt a couple of weeks back trying to keep the Motlop suspension quiet so this time they've gone full disclosure. You can't win.

In this day of Facebook, Twitter, footy message boards :)eek:) and who knows how many other real time social networking sites how do you keep this stuff quiet any more?

..... Anyone who knows a bit about exercise physiology would be aware of NO HARM- No Heat, Alcohol, Running/Exercise, Massage in the first 48 hours following soft tissue damage. ....
Not only after soft tissue damage but for general muscle recovery there should be no alcohol for 24 hours.

Alcohol is a diuretic so it causes dehydration when a player should be rehydrating after a game. It negatively affects protein metabolism and in turn cellular repair. It interferes with body temperature regulation and inhibits fat burning and increases fat storing.

All those posters saying that he "only had a quiet drink" completely miss the point that as a professional footballer he should not have been having a drink at all. Do we want our players to be the best prepared they can be or not?

Well in that case, he should get the same punishment as Daniel Motlop, no?

The accusations that some posters are playing favourites is a bit rich, when the club obviously is. Hartlett is much more of a required player than Motlop, so instead of suspending him a match for not taking his recovery seriously (the EXACT same reason why Motlop was suspended a match), and even though he'll be underdone because alcohol has ruined his recovery, they'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone - erase some debt with a hefty fine and keep Hartlett playing.

That's the club playing favourites if you ask me.

good on the club our players need to be disciplined. every week after games especially wins, the players are out all night at the grand getting parro. somebody has to take a stand if we want to be the best team in the competition

..... I'm surprised Hartlett, Boak and Gray aren't out getting absolutely smashed the night after every game.
So you question the professionalism of those three young players?

..... every week after games especially wins, the players are out all night at the grand getting parro. ......
Amazing that you are the only one that sees them there, especially after wins.

good on the club our players need to be disciplined. every week after games especially wins, the players are out all night at the grand getting parro. somebody has to take a stand if we want to be the best team in the competition

So it doesn't happen to often then :)

Everyone makes a mistake, I'm sure Hamish won't do it again. He's a smart lad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The accusations that some posters are playing favourites is a bit rich, when the club obviously is. Hartlett is much more of a required player than Motlop, so instead of suspending him a match for not taking his recovery seriously (the EXACT same reason why Motlop was suspended a match), and even though he'll be underdone because alcohol has ruined his recovery, they'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone - erase some debt with a hefty fine and keep Hartlett playing.

I see your point but how many times has Daniel breached team rules compared to Hamish? I would presume Daniel missing games and being dropped is due to repeat behaviour.

The problem with Motlop is he is a repeat offender and his suspensions are from a culmination of indiscretions

Frankly, considering the performance their teammates put up every week I'm surprised Hartlett, Boak and Gray aren't out getting absolutely smashed the night after every game.

Actually I'd prefer they drank before the game

Lord knows whatever we're doing isn't working

I love these words

"disrespected" as in - his teammates- like, this guys who played in GF2007 -119 and in 50 losing games since
"offender" as in actually did something serious
disciplined, lack of respect, yada yada

Is it possible that the club will do something about the lack of respect it shows its fans week in week out? You know, if it were serious about this "send a message" business?

Should have been suspended fine, if anything

wharfie 1870 said:
So you question the professionalism of those three young players?

No. The fact that they haven't all pissed off to Victoria despite being several classes above their teammates is a testament to how professional they clearly are.

The club was burnt a couple of weeks back trying to keep the Motlop suspension quiet so this time they've gone full disclosure. You can't win.

In this day of Facebook, Twitter, footy message boards :)eek:) and who knows how many other real time social networking sites how do you keep this stuff quiet any more?

when a player of motlops calibre doesn't get selected to play in a young struggling team with no superstars a lot of questions are going to be asked and the truth is gona come out pretty quick coz its either (a) he messed up or (b) he's not part of Ports future. I.E its either lie or just come out and say why he isn't playing so thats fair enough.
With the Hartlett case he wasn't going to be suspended or sanctioned with anything more the a fine. It would've been very easy to address the playing group behind closed doors and say Hartlett was fined coz he blah blah blah. Then tell every1 not to say anything otherwise they'll risk punishment. A lot of clubs do that. That was the reason Akker got sacked from the bulldogs.

when a player of motlops calibre doesn't get selected to play in a young struggling team with no superstars a lot of questions are going to be asked and the truth is gona come out pretty quick coz its either (a) he messed up or (b) he's not part of Ports future. I.E its either lie or just come out and say why he isn't playing so thats fair enough.

The answer could be (a) and (b), but anyway the club told a lie were caught out in their lie and then told the truth. That was the problem.

And then you get in the cycle of those BS rumour mongers on sports shows who invent a rumour on top of the lie to make the club look even worse.

With the Hartlett case he wasn't going to be suspended or sanctioned with anything more the a fine. It would've been very easy to address the playing group behind closed doors and say Hartlett was fined coz he blah blah blah. Then tell every1 not to say anything otherwise they'll risk punishment. A lot of clubs do that. That was the reason Akker got sacked from the bulldogs.

You expect a group of 40+ young men told of a player sanction will not tell anyone? A mate, wife, partner, or even repeat it to others because they think it's an injustice? It's going to get out.

Aker was sacked for a number of transgressions but he's not a good example because he personally broadcast everything from rooftops. He was easy to spot. This wasn't a case of mentioning it to someone who mentions it to someone who thinks it would be good Twitter material or might ring it thru to a sports show.

Awful look for the club. Sends out the message that we hung out our own player to dry and then we wonder why we have trouble trying to retain players. Personally i'd be pissed off if i was hartlett that the club fined me 2.5k but i'd be even more disappointed that they went out of their way to make it public. Then when cashed up clubs come begging for you to play you remember incidents like this and think why should i be loyal to them when they weren't loyal to me. If someone had a problem with him drinking they should've kept it private and had a word to him without just going out trying to make an example of him.

Spot on. We use to make fun of the crows for this sort of stuff .. calling them crowbots etc. It is demeaning of both the club and the player - like making Shaun Rehn wash cars. It is petty minded idiots like Gary Ayres that do things like this because it is an easy target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartlett fined for being out drinking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back