Mega Thread Has Clarko reached his use-by-date? *** All coach related discussion in here please***

Your thoughts on Clarkson?

• Replace him immediately.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace him at the end of the year.

• Give him the rest of this year to prove himself.

• Give him this year & next year to prove himself.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: I've had enough of Clarkson.

A lot of people are calling the year done and dusted but I see this game as an opportunity for Clarkson to turn the team around and rebuild throughout the year to hopefully challenge again.

The midfield that played today may be good enough to get one finals victory, but thats it. Clarkson put them on notice during the week, letting them know clearly that if the midfield does not get on top, we lose.

This loss provides an opportunity to drop one of the veteran mids. If Clarkson has the guts to do this, fantastic our season is alive. If he persists with the current group it will be a painful slow death this year as they are still good enough to beat most teams but not good enough to contend.

The problem with Mitchell and Sewell can be summed up with two points.
1. If they don't win the football they are a liability as they can't spread.
2. If they do win the football they struggle to do anything with it because they can't move, although I thought Sewell had turned the corner last week.

To rebuild the midfield will require them to play most weeks, but less and less in the centre together and eventually one should be squeezed out by seasons end.

Clarkson is not stupid he is well aware of the midfield issues, now is his chance to do something about it and make some changes.

Re: A Clarkson

Clarkson is getting 1 game closer to be sacked...i don't know how how can he keep persisting with this shiet gameplan.....4 losses this year already....bring maculay back in stop persisting with this crap hale/roughhead combination..only one deserves to be there...and it aint hale....ask north melbourne if we can swap him with macintosh/goldstein....buddy needs to stay in the 50....sub him off if he gets out of that 50.....midfield rotation we need some ball winners....i agree bring schneider in at least he can win his own ball....get these fellas to watch geelong play...even though they're players are past it...they still keep competiting...and don't give up....dats why they have 3 premierships..and we have one...in the last 5 years..

"Clarkson said it wasn't panic stations just yet for the Hawks and denied that wholesale changes would be in order."

What a shit statement...

Prime example why he needs to go. Tigers hadn't beaten a top 4 side and they come up against us and smash us. It hasn't been panic stations for him since 08 why should it be now?

If one loyal member yells foul they won't take notice but if hundreds do they will wake up. Remember the fish rots at the head

So Bosk and friends,

You've sacked Clarko, now who are you going to replace him with?

Don't just give me a name, give me the reasons why you would appoint this person as Hawthorns coach.

How about Malthouse? He did very well developing Collingwood's younger players and has a great track record of success over the years.

I'm sure there would be other candidates out there too if the Hawks want to take a punt - don't forget they took a big one hiring Clarkson in the first place.
Geelong also took a big gamble on Chris Scott and he managed to invigorate his team (who looked pretty worn out and stale in Bomber Thompson's final year) to such a degree that they walked away with a flag.

Big deal. I'm paid up and I (generally) like what Clarkson has done during his time at HFC.

Being a member doesn't make you an expert (as the above may show!). Nor do my years of membership make me a better judge of a coach than a non-member.

How about Malthouse? He did very well developing Collingwood's younger players and has a great track record of success over the years.

I'm sure there would be other candidates out there too if the Hawks want to take a punt - don't forget they took a big one hiring Clarkson in the first place.
Geelong also took a big gamble on Chris Scott and he managed to invigorate his team (who looked pretty worn out and stale in Bomber Thompson's final year) to such a degree that they walked away with a flag.

So if Clarko was not hired back in 2004/5 do you think we still would of won a flag by now???

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: give him 10 years and he'll turn it around

Sack him now. Been saying that since 09 and got shot down on the Hfc board here. Another wasted year, please go clarko

So Bosk and friends,

You've sacked Clarko, now who are you going to replace him with?

Don't just give me a name, give me the reasons why you would appoint this person as Hawthorns coach.

Replace Clarko with Malthouse....hes a proven coach....I'd argue that 2008 was an aberration ..fluke....if cat's had played well that day we would be zip in 5 years....look at what he's done to west coast...and collingwood....the legacy he's left...he's a thinker..and takes action with his football instinct...clarko has not showed any capacity to be in the same league....look at that call with hill being a sub...had he chosen a better sub we would have been won that game no doubt.....

clarkson has no plan b...when we are loosing...u can almost assure that it is gonna be raining goals from the opposition...for example...who was on lids, cotch, riewoldt....and for ****s sake foley when these guys start winning this much ball....and u dont have a plan b to stop them....we are cooked....the excuse of we got beaten by a better footy team is lame...we will bounce back....the 8 game loss to geelong is one of his legacy.....we are not going forwards with him on the helm...need someone that can...my vote is on mick....

John Worlsford won the Weagles a flag in 2006 bottom out few years latter got high draft picks and good trades and now are sitting top of the ladder and flag favorites and has a new contract.
Clarko won the us a flag in 2008, we never botton out or got high draft picks and made some bad trades and some good ones are lucky to play finals in 2012 and has a new contract.
What is the difference between the Weagles and the Hawks??
We never bottom out after winning the flag and kept topping up players from other clubs.
Hawthorn is a very proud club with a very proud history, Weagles are not a proud club and don't have a proud history.

Worsfold won the WE a flag at the end of their window, saw the club through a massive crisis, rebuilt and developed quickly.
Clarko won us a flag at the beginning of our window, and has had us treading water since.

Unfortunately, I don't think the way we've been going about losing some of our games does anything for the 'proud club' argument.
It probably has something to do with the vehemance in some of the posts we see.

The manner in which some players have gone about the game is shameful, and I would say un-Hawthorn-like. The buck stops with Clarko in rectifying this.

Big deal. I'm paid up and I (generally) like what Clarkson has done during his time at HFC.

no offence but u r part of the reason why we WON'T win a premiership this year. U accept complacency and mediocrity.

I was there during our dark days in 90s every week and was demanding change and it came a decade later. The change brought us our tenth premiership. It's obvious we need change again NOW

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How bout the players take some of the blame.

How bout
Buddy. Forgets about his fashion label and tweeting all the crap he tweets and spends more time concentrating on kicking goals

Lewis forgets about his tweeting

Suckling forgets about how he USED to be the most accurate kick in the league and start showing that again

Sewell forgets about his media commitments and starts playing football

How bout every player on the Hawthorn list, forgets about everything else and starts playing the football that they are paid so highly to play.

These players are paid very well and if they were out in the real world, some of them would have had a stroll down to Centrelink. Because in the real world they would have been sacked for such pathetic performances

I think i will wait to see how we respond next week before we start sacking clarko

honestly calls for Clarko to get the sack are just embarrassing

Replace Clarko with Malthouse....hes a proven coach....I'd argue that 2008 was an aberration ..fluke....if cat's had played well that day we would be zip in 5 years....look at what he's done to west coast...and collingwood....the legacy he's left...he's a thinker..and takes action with his football instinct...clarko has not showed any capacity to be in the same league....look at that call with hill being a sub...had he chosen a better sub we would have been won that game no doubt...
And I'd argue 2010 was also a 'fluke' a bounce of the ball the other way and he would've won nothing at collingwood in 11 years.

You would think Kennett would be able to pull off a Malthouse recruitment, but he is gone now. The board shafted Kennet to re-sign Clarkson. NOT ONE MEMBER QUESTIONED THE BOARD AT THE AGM regarding this. So Clarkson will see out his contract. I really don't think the major problem is his coaching, rather selection and an aging midfield.

The signs are in bright neon lights and not looking good.

- The anger and passion disappeared from the coaches box that I can see a long time ago whenever the TV pans to him. I don't like it.

- How many players are playing to maximum potential/ability? Roughead, Hale, Whitecross, Schoenmakers, Bruest, Lewis maybe. We are no-where near a hungry enough team that has a real appetite and hunger to win this competition, nor have enough players in career best form. If that is the players or something else making it appear that way whatever it is needs to be located, addressed and eliminated before the cancer consumes the whole club and the year is shot.

- Needs to get Lance Franklin playing to his very long overdue potential. That will only happen in the forward line. If it is Lance's request to add another string to his bow and get cheap possessions across half back someone needs to wake up and confront it and put him back where he belongs.

- Has had a reliance and blind faith for far too long on players who's careers have been on a very evident downward trend for a long time, or who continually have brain explosions on the field in their decision making. Osborne, Bateman, Guerra, Gilham, Franklin, Mitchell and Sewell spring to mind, and the culprits continually get away with it. A week or two in the ressies has turned around many out of form players very quickly throughout the years. We are still dining out on 2008 sadly, which now looks a planet-aligning type scenario in hindsight (so many players never played at those levels again during the finals, no injuries, new revolutionally game plan, exploiting rules, Geelongs kicking, Geelongs arrogance) that resulted in us pinching an unlikely premiership we should never have got.

- Doesn't have faith in the kids, it is a weakness of Clarksons. Kennedy is a prime example. Hindsight or not it was a massive mistake to let him walk out for nothing. Someone is responsible for not recognising his future abilities and outstanding attributes and not playing him early as a youngster. If a senior player is not playing to his potential and a young kid is playing well in the reserves then bloody play him. Youth breeds enthusiasm.

- Why get Burgoyne on big bucks and play him as a half back flanker? He is a very creative, damaging player who should be playing forward of centre or in the midfield, not deep in the backline on the outskirts of packs picking up cheap possessions.

- Our consistency from week to week, quarter to quarter and player by player is non-existant.

- Our game plan is too complex. How many players do you see stream into the forward 50 under no pressure and instead of going, BANG! on a natural footballers instinct to kick the big team lifting goal they hesitate, second guess and then dish a dinky little farty pass off to someone and a turnover results. The players heads are full of too much information and team rules and not playing on instinct. Our decision making is deplorable. Probably the worst in the competition and needs to be addressed.

- We over-use the ball, finesse, and get too cute with it. It's AFL not the Harlem Globetrotters.

- The midfield. It's aging, slow, lacks A & B graders, pace and at present probably not a top 8 midfield sadly. If it is not turned around asap and nothing changes we are f**king kidding ourselves that we will win the premiership because we are miles off.

- The same issues have arised every year since 2009. There are no more excuses any more. They wore out a long time ago. Only results will do the talking now.

He is responsible for all of the above. I've lost faith in him to deliver us another premiership any time soon. He has used all his chances. There is an outstanding proven coach right under their noses. We are cashed up, go and get Mick Malthouse, a man with a point to prove and a bee in his bonnet, and see what he could do with this list.

So if Clarko was not hired back in 2004/5 do you think we still would of won a flag by now???

Depends who we chose in his place and how well he developed the talent. Of course for or all we know a different coach could've insisted on drafting Selwood instead of Thorpe.... and Tambling instead of Franklin! :eek:

It's really impossible to say... but I'll say this much - Clarkson I think gets too much credit for our success in 2008 and the players not enough. They really played out of their skins that year. Also don't forget they were desperate to win a flag for Crawf who they knew was close to retirement, giving them extra motivation.

Losing Croad & Campbell really killed us though, and those injuries were out of Clarkson's control. Who knows what might have been last year had Croad been playing in the prelim instead of Shoey?

See ya Clarko. Your forward line setup ... Or lack there of seals it for me.

Can't believe how abysmal our structures were.

ThaNks for 2008. But time for someone else.

Unless Clarko reinvigorates the side with youth and has us playing energised football come seasons end he should be respectfully paid out and moved on.

I would bring in Paul Roos as coach. We have the money, pay out Clarko and bring in Roos.

Say what you want about Roos but he is exactly what we need. He built the best culture of any club I have ever seen.

no offence but u r part of the reason why we WON'T win a premiership this year. U accept complacency and mediocrity.

I was there during our dark days in 90s every week and was demanding change and it came a decade later. The change brought us our tenth premiership. It's obvious we need change again NOW

Oh, am I? Thanks so much for filling me in. :thumbsu: Here I was, thinking that I was just a mere primary school teacher, but I'm actually a driving force and influence for the on field performance of the club I love. Actually, I probably should take the blame for today's loss, Hodge's injury and Buddy's poor kicking. Off to the scapegoat thread, then!

You have no idea what I accept or what I stand for. All you know is what I posted - that I have liked some of the things Clarkson has brought to the club.

By the way - saying no offense before you say something offensive, doesn't make it less so ;)

And I'd argue 2010 was also a 'fluke' a bounce of the ball the other way and he would've won nothing at collingwood in 11 years.

Ok Mr Analyst...who has the better Win to Loss Ratio....out of Mick and Clarko?
Is Clarko even in the Top 5 coaches in the last 5 years using the win-loss method? Little tip..2009 - mediocre, 2010- mediocre, 2011 - pass, 2012 - bordering on mediocre...now if you want to keep the mediocre performances up....keep Clarko...:D

The "sack Clarko" sentiments on here always make me laugh - mostly because none of the critics EVER suggest a possible replacement.

So, critics - who of the current available senior or assistant coaches would we chase? It's just typical bloody reactionary rubbish by people who you would never ever take to the trenches with you.

I think i will wait to see how we respond next week before we start sacking clarko

honestly calls for Clarko to get the sack are just embarrassing

We have said this 3 times already this year, after every loss. Not once have we come out with a 4 quarter effort. I'm sick to death of such shit performances for such a talented team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Has Clarko reached his use-by-date? *** All coach related discussion in here please***

Back