Mega Thread Has Clarko reached his use-by-date? *** All coach related discussion in here please***

Your thoughts on Clarkson?

• Replace him immediately.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace him at the end of the year.

• Give him the rest of this year to prove himself.

• Give him this year & next year to prove himself.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: I've had enough of Clarkson.

A lot of people are calling the year done and dusted but I see this game as an opportunity for Clarkson to turn the team around and rebuild throughout the year to hopefully challenge again.

The midfield that played today may be good enough to get one finals victory, but thats it. Clarkson put them on notice during the week, letting them know clearly that if the midfield does not get on top, we lose.

This loss provides an opportunity to drop one of the veteran mids. If Clarkson has the guts to do this, fantastic our season is alive. If he persists with the current group it will be a painful slow death this year as they are still good enough to beat most teams but not good enough to contend.

The problem with Mitchell and Sewell can be summed up with two points.
1. If they don't win the football they are a liability as they can't spread.
2. If they do win the football they struggle to do anything with it because they can't move, although I thought Sewell had turned the corner last week.

To rebuild the midfield will require them to play most weeks, but less and less in the centre together and eventually one should be squeezed out by seasons end.

Clarkson is not stupid he is well aware of the midfield issues, now is his chance to do something about it and make some changes.

Precisely why he needs to be sacked. EVerything you just mentioned he wont do..he will back his current gameplan/strctures/startong 22 until he bring this club to its knees.

We have said this 3 times already this year, after every loss. Not once have we come out with a 4 quarter effort. I'm sick to death of such shit performances for such a talented team.

Look

We lost to Geelong and West Coast by less than a goal, To Sydney in tassie after coming back from Wet Subiaco game in Perth and just underestimated Richmond which yes is poor but the season is not over yet

If the players are just "coasting" then this could be the kick up the backside they need. I'm not going to give up the whole season just because of one bad game. S@#t happens

We got rid of one cooked player in Williams (due to injury) and paid overs for another one, in Burgoyne.

Woodward was looking like just the young player we needed, but he was unfortunately struck down with injury.

Our midfield would be a lot better with JK in it, I hated seeing him go and was extremely pissed off when we traded him, but at the time, it did actually make sense for the club, and for him. I didn't like it, but anybody saying it was a bad trade isn't being honest with themselves, or looking at the bigger picture. He wasn't getting a game and wanted/deserved game time. We had senior players he wasn't going to replace. I wanted him to stay, but he didn't fit in our midfield rotations at the time which, in hindsight, royally screwed us over. No use crying over spilt milk, it's done.

I'm dissapointed in Shiels' year, but I'm sure he'll bounce back. We do need to get a couple of kids in the midfield, but balancing youth and experience isn't easy.

I'd like to give Schneider and Hill a go, but I doubt they'll be better than those we replace them with. They also won't get any better unless we play them. Catch 22.

Re: A Clarkson

The "sack Clarko" sentiments on here always make me laugh - mostly because none of the critics EVER suggest a possible replacement.

So, critics - who of the current available senior or assistant coaches would we chase? It's just typical bloody reactionary rubbish by people who you would never ever take to the trenches with you.

Its blokes like you who were shouting me down on this board a few years back when I was calling for Mark Williams to be dropped from the team and/or traded.

But "true supporters" like yourself wouldn't have a bar of that. They'd insist that Williams would come good eventually (despite the fact he was doing sweet **** all for us virtually every game he played that year) and that because he'd been such a great player in the past it was our duty to persist with him!

What happened? We traded Mark Williams to Essenscum because his knees were shot. He continued to do sweet **** all for his new club until he retired not long after.

Morale of the story?
Blokes like you are free to huff & puff all you want but at the end of the day you're in no better position to judge how our team is going than the rest of us.

Could "true" supporters please disect our forward line setup for me ....

IMAG0326.jpg

Its blokes like you who were shouting me down on this board a few years back when I was calling for Mark Williams to be dropped from the team and/or traded.

But "true supporters" like yourself wouldn't have a bar of that. They'd insist that Williams would come good eventually (despite the fact he was doing sweet **** all for us virtually every game he played that year) and that because he'd been such a great player in the past it was our duty to persist with him!

What happened? We traded Mark Williams to Essenscum because his knees were shot. He continued to do sweet **** all for his new club until he retired not long after.

Morale of the story?
Blokes like you are free to huff & puff all you want but at the end of the day you're in no better position to judge how our team is going than the rest of us.

What a load of horseshit Bosk

Could "true" supporters please disect our forward line setup for me ....

IMAG0326.jpg

Pretty sad stuff.

On a few occasions today I saw Buddy picking up touches across the half back line, while our entire team was in the opposition's half of the ground.

I asked myself the question how the hell is it more beneficial for the AFL's #1 forward to pickup cheap kicks on the half-back line than to be waiting inside our 50 for when the ball is turned over?
When you consider that no-one was down there at the time... well perhaps now you can understand why I'm so filthy on Clarkson and our gameplan.

Weagles not proud & no proud history, are you for real?

I think you should trade Buddy to a WA club as it seems he is done playing for the Hawks. You'll be a better disciplined team without him.
Keep Clarko as he did win you a premiership after all.
Without the Buddy distraction you'll find the team will be more understanding of Clarko's needs & wants.

Hawthorn had too much pride to bottom out for high draft picks were as the Weagles didn't care to bottom out for high draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's spelled per se

thanks for your contribution...you're an intelligent cookie

to the bloke that asked me what my position is...my position is i don't like our game plan at all, we do not do the fundamentals of football well, we are at the crossroads, and tough decisions need to be made this year, that may well shape the next 3 to 5 years...what they are, well that's why the forum is here, to discuss and assess

to the other person who asked for possible replacements...roos, malthouse, eade, ayres, matthews...we started the trend of going for an untried coach, we can also begin a new trend as well

I remember thinking after the 08 triumph how good a team we would be for years to come and salivating at the thought of what Buddy would be when he had a few years experience and a few kilos on him......i would never have guessed he'd be sprinting the length of the G 80 times a match and kicking one a game.

I can handle losing, sh1t happens. What i can't handle is this team not being given it's greatest chance of winning.
I'm a Hawthorn man and feel a little dirty potting the coach, but i would love to see someone else given a chance to play these guys in their rightful possies and impliment something simple and direct, resembling the 08 gameplan. I know it isnt 08 anymore but ffs it was only 80 odd games ago.......how can kicking a hundred goals a season suddenly be thought inferior to running 15 k a game in such a short time? It's astounding.

I wonder if AC was in Yabby's shoes and an Alistair Joyce sat in for a year if AC would be handed back his job in the same manner? I doubt it.

I'm all for Clarko staying but my alleged God he really needs to swallow his pride and make some changes that everyone else but him seem to be able to see. It aint working and you can see it in the players attitudes. He's killing everything i loved about this group, please change.

Pretty sad stuff.

On a few occasions today I saw Buddy picking up touches across the half back line, while our entire team was in the opposition's half of the ground.

I asked myself the question how the hell is it more beneficial for the AFL's #1 forward to pickup cheap kicks on the half-back line than to be waiting inside our 50 for when the ball is turned over?
When you consider that no-one was down there at the time... well perhaps now you can understand why I'm so filthy on Clarkson and our gameplan.

Yep. And that was from a center square bounce. And fully agree with Buddy roaming around the DEFENSIVE 50.

W
T
F

Fk me.

I had mates supporting Richmond and Neutrals asking me wtf is going on .... and there was no explanation.

So ... as I asked before. Surely a "true supporter" can tell me wtf was our gameplan tonight.

Can one of you guys who both a) knows footy and b) watches Hawthorn closely please explain to me what exactly Clarkson's gameplan is and what is going wrong with it?

Those of you who have followed me on the Main board will know how critical I have been of Brad Scott and how early in this season I declared his gameplan stuffed (before he came out and admitted it himself).

I like to watch as much top-line footy as I can but for some reason I haven't seen enough of the Hawks this season to know your gameplan too well. Any help appreciated.

P.S. You are still the only mob to roll Adelaide (let alone spank them) and have had a tough draw to start the year. Wouldn't be turning on Clarko yet myself but that's just my opinion as an outsider.

Can one of you guys who both a) knows footy and b) watches Hawthorn closely please explain to me what exactly Clarkson's gameplan is and what is going wrong with it?

Those of you who have followed me on the Main board will know how critical I have been of Brad Scott and how early in this season I declared his gameplan stuffed (before he came out and admitted it himself).

I like to watch as much top-line footy as I can but for some reason I haven't seen enough of the Hawks this season to know your gameplan too well. Any help appreciated.

P.S. You are still the only mob to roll Adelaide (let alone spank them) and have had a tough draw to start the year. Wouldn't be turning on Clarko yet myself but that's just my opinion as an outsider.

We have 2 gameplans.

1 that works that sees forwards play as forwards, midfielders play as midfielders and defenders play as defenders.

The other that has NO-ONE in the forward 50 at a CENTER BOUNCE, Buddy chasing cheap kicks back of the center square and Gibson in our forward 50.

Will let you deduce which one works better.

I can't overlook how unbelievable it is that with the talent we appear to have on paper isn't translating into more wins. We can't have so many players playing so badly or looking so inept all at the same time, with alarming regularity. It leads me to believe we need to look at our coach. I loved that Clarko led us to our '08 Premiership, but now it just aint happening. I went to today's game, and I really didn't enjoy what I saw. They're simply lost out there, and it must be demoralizing for them. No flow, no directness. An empty forward line. So many missed shots at goal. They're shot.
Next week and the weeks after that they might come out and it'll all click, but there's no guarantee. That gameplan is killing us. How long will it take to train them into something new. Jeez we have so much talent being made to look like crap. The ultimate Jekyll and Hyde team.
I'm interested to know what is our new president's feeling on all of this ?

I can't overlook how unbelievable it is that with the talent we appear to have on paper isn't translating into more wins. We can't have so many players playing so badly or looking so inept all at the same time, with alarming regularity. It leads me to believe we need to look at our coach. I loved that Clarko led us to our '08 Premiership, but now it just aint happening. I went to today's game, and I really didn't enjoy what I saw. They're simply lost out there, and it must be demoralizing for them. No flow, no directness. An empty forward line. So many missed shots at goal. They're shot.
Next week and the weeks after that they might come out and it'll all click, but there's no guarantee. That gameplan is killing us. How long will it take to train them into something new. Jeez we have so much talent being made to look like crap. The ultimate Jekyll and Hyde team.
I'm interested to know what is our new president's feeling on all of this ?

President - do we have a new President? I didn't know we had one:eek:

Had we not won the 2008 flag there's no way he'd still be coaching this club.

I can't escape the brilliance of this sentence. It's the perfect example of the kind of soft, entitled, whiny "supporter" BigFooty (and Hawthorn unfortunately) attracts.

"Had this Premiership winning Coach not led this club to a Premiership he wouldn't be coaching this club in pursuit of a second Premiership"

Quite staggering stupidity.

You get the feeling Bosk would prefer to hand back the 2008 flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Has Clarko reached his use-by-date? *** All coach related discussion in here please***

Back