Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

The way our club is set up, the members have no power to do this whether they want to or not. We only elect two out of eight board members. We cannot spill the board or get rid of the chairman no matter how much desire for it there is. Only the AFL can do that, and the AFL won't give a shit about whether Port are winning premierships or not. It's a ridiculous situation.
Perhaps it's the old timer in me given I have the utmost respect for what one hundred odd year old football clubs achieved in their respective competitions and knowing the history of Port and the we exist to win premierships mantra, being forced to accept mediocrity will be killing the fanbase, the only way to make a difference seems to be with your wallets and non-attendance. Overall, this is one of my bugbears with the corporatisation of the AFL and why I still enjoy watching the WAFL.

The forward line is not very good. Dixon, Gray and Motlop are close to retirement and Marshall and Rozee are soft.

Yep, you can only carry max 1 of Finlayson and Marshall and only with Charlie Dixon playing as the actual pack breaker. Powell-Pepper had a spike game yesterday but I'd question how regular that occurrence will be.

Their midfield stats look great too but Wines in particular has butchered it so far, would love to know how many of his 35 kicks so far this year have actually been genuinely good

Id hate to be your wife, you go prematurely. Last week they were 4 or 5 goals up against Brisbane, before being overrun by injuries.

Poor performance last night, but every team has a poor game.

To suggest butters, rozee and duursma have stagnated is ridic, butters was their second best player last night, rozee doesn't need 30 possessions, he can have 5 and hurt you and durrsma has being hit hard by injuries.

McKenzie allows Alie to play 3rd man up.

Finlayson marks and kicks goals, he is statistically a better footballer than what you actually see, classic Moneyball footballer.

They have a fairly long injury list
Dixon
Allir
Fantasia
Clurey
Farrell
Mckenzie

All in their best 22, just a little perspective required

Well, clearly 1 of Clurey and McKenzie isn't best 22 with Aliir and Jonas also there. And McKenzie actually played. And Farrell is about 18-22nd on the list. Essentially it's Dixon (old), Gray (old), Fantasia (injury prone).

And Finlayson has kicked 0.3 this year

Last year's preliminary final loss against the Western Bulldogs would still be haunting Port Adelaide.

True, Port have lost other preliminary finals in 2014 and in 2020, but Port were gallant in defeat and were stiff to lose in thrillers against eventual premiers Hawthorn and Richmond respectively. And when reviewing the 2021 PF weekend, Melbourne's 83-point demolition of Geelong was a bigger margin than Port's loss to the Bulldogs. However, these matches contained three premiership contenders from four contestants. The aging Geelong with its predictable game plan that failed to work under finals pressure time and time again was never going to get past the resurgent Demons, but both Port and the Bulldogs were excellent sides capable and deserving of a GF berth.

Most anticipated a tight contest between the Dogs and Power, and if the Dogs had gotten home narrowly in a tight contest or if the Bulldogs had ran away with the match late in the game after an even contest early (much like Melbourne would eventually do in the Grand Final) it would have been disappointing obviously, but not demoralizing. Port would not have lost any fans, and the players would have positives to build on for 2022. But more than six months on, I still can't fathom how Port failed to get into the contest against the Dogs at any stage before going under meekly by 71-points. It was actually eerie to watch, completely inexplicable and just how to turn around such a poor loss with such high stakes is hard to work out.

Last year's preliminary final loss against the Western Bulldogs would still be haunting Port Adelaide.

True, Port have lost other preliminary finals in 2014 and in 2020, but Port were gallant in defeat and were stiff to lose in thrillers against eventual premiers Hawthorn and Richmond respectively. And when reviewing the 2021 PF weekend, Melbourne's 83-point demolition of Geelong was a bigger margin than Port's loss to the Bulldogs. However, these matches contained three premiership contenders from four contestants. The aging Geelong with its predictable game plan that failed to work under finals pressure time and time again was never going to get past the resurgent Demons, but both Port and the Bulldogs were excellent sides capable and deserving of a GF berth.

Most anticipated a tight contest between the Dogs and Power, and if the Dogs had gotten home narrowly in a tight contest or if the Bulldogs had ran away with the match late in the game after an even contest early (much like Melbourne would eventually do in the Grand Final) it would have been disappointing obviously, but not demoralizing. Port would not have lost any fans, and the players would have positives to build on for 2022. But more than six months on, I still can't fathom how Port failed to get into the contest against the Dogs at any stage before going under meekly by 71-points. It was actually eerie to watch, completely inexplicable and just how to turn around such a poor loss with such high stakes is hard to work out.
They were blown out of the contest in the opening qtr, from memory they had a decision overturned in the third qtr for a goal that would have cut the lead to about 5 goals, when you're that far behind you need everything to go right, dogs kick a goal against the play and it breaks any hope of a comeback and hence the final margin, they did win most of the stats against the Hawks last night, they got hurt badly on the turnover, and couldn't manufacture any goals, they should have got Teague when Voss left to help with their transition play

I would have offered Clarko the job after the prelim disaster and if the answer was No.

I would have said unless Ken wins the flag the job is yours.

This bloke is just terrible coach, I can't believe the run he has had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken Hinkley is one of the biggest con artists in AFL history. He's done quite well to milk as much money from the club as he has. He can go live out his days in Hick Town, country Victoria and enjoy his yearly get away to Bali where he can get a foot rub for 10 dollars.

Can anyone tell me what he's actually doing wrong as a coach? That's not a troll question, I just genuinely haven't seen enough of Port to know what the problem is. Is he a bad strategist, bad at man management, bad on gameday or what? The PF last year was obviously atrocious (I don't think I've ever seen a team play a final with less enthusiasm than that) but Port went 33-9 in the last two years except for that game and were unlucky not to make the GF in 2020, which seems like a decent record. What exactly is it he's doing (or not doing) that makes Port fans hate him so much?

My point was along the Clarkson mentality. One soldier goes down and other steps up.

Good game plans and a 'can do' mentality dont rely on having one or two key players.
sure but my contention is they don't have that happening, instead they don't have a like-for-like replacement so they should be changing tactics to fit the available team.

The way our club is set up, the members have no power to do this whether they want to or not. We only elect two out of eight board members. We cannot spill the board or get rid of the chairman no matter how much desire for it there is. Only the AFL can do that, and the AFL won't give a shit about whether Port are winning premierships or not. It's a ridiculous situation.
Didn't know that, seems worst than the Collingwood Board under Mcguire.

That forward line last night was so vanilla it was ridiculous.

Did you know that Jeremy finlayson was rated as elite last year by champion data? How, nobody could actually think that.

They need Charlie desperately.

If Trent McKenzie is one of their best K.P.D they are in strife.

The Butters, Duursma, Rozee group look to have stagnated. Can play but they need to turn it around quickly or they will be out of finals contention.

The bloke with the mullet is below average. Sort of bloke who would win best clubman award playing mostly reserves.

A team full of soft players who stat pad.

If Dixon is your saving grace youre well and truly Jane Collins Specialed.

Can anyone tell me what he's actually doing wrong as a coach? That's not a troll question, I just genuinely haven't seen enough of Port to know what the problem is. Is he a bad strategist, bad at man management, bad on gameday or what? The PF last year was obviously atrocious (I don't think I've ever seen a team play a final with less enthusiasm than that) but Port went 33-9 in the last two years except for that game and were unlucky not to make the GF in 2020, which seems like a decent record. What exactly is it he's doing (or not doing) that makes Port fans hate him so much?

Tactically he’s inept.

1. Our forward 50 entries are diabolical. He’s relied on bomb in to Charlie and hold it inside for a scragged goal.

2. He relies on bull midfielders winning the contested ball and has over compensated by having our outside mids get sucked into the contest and if we don’t win the ball any effective forward handball from the opposition out of the stoppage releases them everytime for a clean entry. We survived this on the whole by destroying Boak and Wines bodies as inside mids.

3. He continually backs in players that the game has gone past. See Westhoff, Rockliff, Hartlett, Motlop, Lycett and I hate to say it but now R.Gray.

4. He never, ever takes responsibility for a loss or poor performance. It’s always the opp is a great team or we just weren’t good enough for long enough or some other bullshit. How about your tactics don’t work you fool.

5. In game he has never once made a move where you can see an adjustment to the game style to get an advantage, let alone turn a game. Case in point the prelim last year - we beat the dogs 3 weeks earlier so he went with the exact same plan whilst Bevo adjusted his approach. Ken then just sat the flabbergasted and watched on as we got dismantled.

sure but my contention is they don't have that happening, instead they don't have a like-for-like replacement so they should be changing tactics to fit the available team.

Or another soldier comes in and plays the role.

Dixon is a FF. Lead, mark goal. If not lead, smash pack and cause a spillage. He has never been a Franklin or a J Kennedy. When he is fully fit he is very good but Port do not base their entire game plan around Dixon. They kick the ball to a forward pocket as a defensive tactic, they mark or get another stoppage in the pocket whilst setting up defensively.

If any team needs to change game plans because one tall forward is unavailable then yep, that coach needs to be moved on.

Rozee looks like he could be top 5 player in the competition sometimes then disappears for weeks at a time. He's like one of those icing on the cake players who needs to be in a good team, a team in their premiership window should trade for him

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back