Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

A few observations from Saturday nights game:

• Port were awful
  • Hawks were able to keep counter attacking with ease, Ports zone defence fell apart
  • Totally bizarre stats from the game, going by that the majority of the blame has to be on the forward line and/or delivery into the forward line
  • Port were playing like Dixon was still there and kept bombing it in. They have 3 tallish forwards up there (Georgiadis, Marshall, Finlayson) who are all 3rd forwards. Finlayson is basically Josh Jenkins mark II so rather useless without other major targets
  • I can’t see how Hinkley can be a shit coach, he got Port to the last 2 prelims, and a kick off a GF in 2020. I think maybe like Buckley the time has been and gone

Rozee looks like he could be top 5 player in the competition sometimes then disappears for weeks at a time. He's like one of those icing on the cake players who needs to be in a good team, a team in their premiership window should trade for him

A lot of players have followed his trajectory who play that sort of goal sneak half forward role, start career well then get found out for lack of work ethic and lose confidence and form.

I think he can get out of it, but will need to get himself fitter like Rankin has at GC. Other sir he could be the next Troy Menzel.

Rozee looks like he could be top 5 player in the competition sometimes then disappears for weeks at a time. He's like one of those icing on the cake players who needs to be in a good team, a team in their premiership window should trade for him
Literally a copy paste version of Chad Wingard

Can anyone tell me what he's actually doing wrong as a coach? That's not a troll question, I just genuinely haven't seen enough of Port to know what the problem is. Is he a bad strategist, bad at man management, bad on gameday or what? The PF last year was obviously atrocious (I don't think I've ever seen a team play a final with less enthusiasm than that) but Port went 33-9 in the last two years except for that game and were unlucky not to make the GF in 2020, which seems like a decent record. What exactly is it he's doing (or not doing) that makes Port fans hate him so much?
His press conference after the hawks game was essentially “we did our kpis but lost, we don’t understand why”

His press conference after the hawks game was essentially “we did our kpis but lost, we don’t understand why”
This is because 'goals' has never been one of his KPI's. Port enter the forward line in a manner that prioritises making it hard for the opponent to rebound, not kicking goals.

Our forward line has always been a disorganised mess getting by on the freak talent of guys like Gray, Dixon and Fantasia. Take them out and look what happens.

This is because 'goals' has never been one of his KPI's. Port enter the forward line in a manner that prioritises making it hard for the opponent to rebound, not kicking goals.

Our forward line has always been a disorganised mess getting by on the freak talent of guys like Gray, Dixon and Fantasia. Take them out and look what happens.
And they didn’t even do that right re stopping hawks rebound either.
I have looked at your boards sack Hinkley thread and I’d disagree with those wanting Clarkson as our team in the last 2-3 years also looked like they weren’t trying to kick goals and had miss getting sucked into the contest.

A few observations from Saturday nights game:

• Port were awful
  • Hawks were able to keep counter attacking with ease, Ports zone defence fell apart
  • Totally bizarre stats from the game, going by that the majority of the blame has to be on the forward line and/or delivery into the forward line
  • Port were playing like Dixon was still there and kept bombing it in. They have 3 tallish forwards up there (Georgiadis, Marshall, Finlayson) who are all 3rd forwards. Finlayson is basically Josh Jenkins mark II so rather useless without other major targets
  • I can’t see how Hinkley can be a shit coach, he got Port to the last 2 prelims, and a kick off a GF in 2020. I think maybe like Buckley the time has been and gone
He hasnt got them to the finals in a normal uninterrupted season since 2014.

I would have offered Clarko the job after the prelim disaster and if the answer was No.

I would have said unless Ken wins the flag the job is yours.

This bloke is just terrible coach, I can't believe the run he has had.

It's weak as piss that we still have Ken Hinkley as our coach in 2022!

We've bent over backwards to give him the resources he needs to win a Premiership. He has consistently failed and shown that he's not up to the task. After the 71 point Prelim loss he should've been sacked that week. He should've been sacked years ago to be honest.

The way our club is set up, the members have no power to do this whether they want to or not. We only elect two out of eight board members. We cannot spill the board or get rid of the chairman no matter how much desire for it there is. Only the AFL can do that, and the AFL won't give a shit about whether Port are winning premierships or not. It's a ridiculous situation.

Sadly a problem both SA and WA clubs have.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on. He's a dead man walking now. Injuries is no excuse.
He's an absolute loser. Will be gone after the bye.
Well unless he turns it around, but I don't think he can the message is not getting through, and when Kane Cornes starts putting the knife in in its the end.

Now also another bloke who says good things, mostly, but some stupid things too,
like postponing games when teams can't field a full side. As Mick Malthouse said about the WCE with injuries and COVID problems
Bad luck! When the season is on, you play, even the under 15's if you have to.
You play full stop, even if the coach has to lace up. I can see Chris Fagan slapping a few young opponents around ha ha ha!
Or you simply can, the whole round, which you wouldn't.

I don't know where Mick got that one from, unless I read it wrong, but seriously its silly.

To be fair I think that’s pretty much every flag team recently apart from the Eagles. The majority of scoring is based on turnovers. So moving the ball forward quickly, forcing a turnover and capitalizing has been a good game plan.

Richmond happened to have Dusty, Lynch or Jack, and the Dees had the Bulldogs tall defenders to help with cashing in on those turnovers.

The issue for Port is they don’t seem to create contests at half forward to create open space deep. And rarely does Dixon truly overpower strong back lines throwing 2-3 at him deep.

I’m guessing the plan would like to use Charlie to smash packs at CHF with the other mobile talls finding room inside 50 in certain circumstances, then in others run and spread the ball before getting it to Charlie deep to mark or create good crumbs.

When Hawks were leading at one point 14.5.89 to Ports 7.10.52. it was scarily similar to when the hawks beat freo 15.4.94 to 10.7.67.

hawks 4 behinds in that preliminary final didnt spray one shot all night

hawks either played put of their skin or were nearly dead on efficient.

Tactically he’s inept.

1. Our forward 50 entries are diabolical. He’s relied on bomb in to Charlie and hold it inside for a scragged goal.

2. He relies on bull midfielders winning the contested ball and has over compensated by having our outside mids get sucked into the contest and if we don’t win the ball any effective forward handball from the opposition out of the stoppage releases them everytime for a clean entry. We survived this on the whole by destroying Boak and Wines bodies as inside mids.

3. He continually backs in players that the game has gone past. See Westhoff, Rockliff, Hartlett, Motlop, Lycett and I hate to say it but now R.Gray.

4. He never, ever takes responsibility for a loss or poor performance. It’s always the opp is a great team or we just weren’t good enough for long enough or some other bullshit. How about your tactics don’t work you fool.

5. In game he has never once made a move where you can see an adjustment to the game style to get an advantage, let alone turn a game. Case in point the prelim last year - we beat the dogs 3 weeks earlier so he went with the exact same plan whilst Bevo adjusted his approach. Ken then just sat the flabbergasted and watched on as we got dismantled.
4/5 of those points sound exactly like what people were saying about Horse not that long ago. Hinkley is clearly a good coach but maybe it's the assistant's he lacks support from? Adding Pyke to the Swans made a huge difference

4/5 of those points sound exactly like what people were saying about Horse not that long ago. Hinkley is clearly a good coach but maybe it's the assistant's he lacks support from? Adding Pyke to the Swans made a huge difference
Weve already been through that about 3 times - with Richo, Voss and most recently Schofield. it is true,he needs good assistants. But overall, for many of us - its like watching a broken record. In fact its broken most supporters over on the port board. His best teams from an attacking point of view were 2013/2014 and he then went to the finals/forward pressure siege game plan, and its just horrible to watch all the diabolical forward entries and inefficient, ugly football. Blokes throwing themselves in all directions, under intense, wasting their energy and bodies for some hack / miracle goal. it was all on show and entirely predictable against the hawks.

The other big issue is that he doesnt do enough work on the opposition teams - the bulldogs smashed us in each first qtr during our home and away matches last year, and then it repeated itself in the prelim with Bevo employing some other clever tactics and match ups to exploit Allir, and our lack of height. I couldnt see that we had prepared anything to counter that. With Ken, its like a gamble that our best game is enough to win and thats what he wages.

Ken’s desperately hiding himself in the findings outs game tonight. Some pretty determined Ken searching going on. I’m not sure he has must left to declare

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back