Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't blame him for a small passing remark to Ginnivan.
But he had WAY too much to say, with that smug smile standing overlooking the losing side.

Floggish behaviour.

Imagine doing that after beating 7th and losing by 15 goals last week. He's achieved nothing yet.

The story tonight from BT & co - the boys played for Ken, they love Ken, they have so much love for him that they bounced back.

Not withstanding their own competitive fires after being embarrassed last week.

Not withstanding that they tried to tell us it was Port players being flat last week. Poor Ken. Couldn’t do anything about that!

Geez the media really suck a fat one on Ken.

Against a side he has continuously out coached since 2016 he has his best chance for a grand final and then it’s anyones flag - but **** me until it ACTUALLY HAPPENS he’s just in the same Deja vu spot yet again of winning through to a prelim…and yet the likes of BT have him up there as a Chris Scott/Clarkson/Lethal tier flag coach.

Probably not great if a player mouths off post game when a sides season is over but I'd have no problem if they did.

I have a real problem with coaches, runners or officials mouthing off at any time. I would of given McCartney a week off from being allowed at the ground.

There should be really strict rules for non players.

At least he’s owned it straight away.

Interesting that he said he’d used Ginnivan’s comments “a fair bit” during the week as motivation.

All those who said there was nothing wrong with what he said and that he hadn’t given the other team any extra motivation were absolutely kidding themselves and I guarantee he’ll never do that again.

Handed the other team extra motivation in what turned out to be a game that went down to the wire, and piled a bunch of completely unnecessary extra pressure on himself.

Super-foolish. There’s a reason guys like Hodge, Riewoldt and Lewis were so against what he did. These guys know what you do and what you don’t do in situations like this, and Ginni had just learned the hard way why you don’t do that.

Last edited:

Interesting that he said he’d used Ginnivan’s comments “a fair bit” during the week as motivation.

All those who said there was nothing wrong with what he said and that he hadn’t given the other team any extra motivation were absolutely kidding themselves and I guarantee he’ll never do that again.

Handed the other team extra motivation in what turned out to be a game that went down to the wire, and piled a bunch of completely unnecessary extra pressure on himself.

Super-foolish. There’s a reason guys like Hodge, Riewoldt and Lewis were so against what he did. These guys know what you do and what you don’t do in situations like this.
He’s an emotional coach - he certainly can get them up - the criticism from mist if this board is that, that type of environment can’t be created every week, but under the circumstances Ginnivan played straight into his hands and gave him and the players the perfect motivation. No surprise it spilled over at the end, he’s a heart on sleeve type of character and from memory pretty good on the lip when it suited.

Ken shouldn't have responded, but if Ginnivan hadn't made those comments then the antagonistic environment wouldn't have existed in the first place and Ken wouldn't have been in a position to respond.

Which bring us to another issue - Hawthorn. When I was growing up in the 80's Hawthorn was always known for being humble in victory and gracious in defeat. It was one of the things that defined them as a football club. John Kennedy instilled this ruthlessness in them, but was insistent that they treat teams with respect. Allan Jeans became the custodian of this in the 80's. When beating Essendon by a record margin in 1983 Jeans said, "Remember to be gracious as there are losers in the opposition rooms"

Jeans would never have tolerated the off-field rubbish that Ginnivan brings to the club. And all this selfie crap after the game. Nor would the great John Kennedy. The Hawks have got away with it because they've been winning and when you're winning, you just leave things as they are. But if they carry on like tools, all it does it create targets on your backs. Sam Mitchell needs to be aware of this, because the way they have been carrying on is not how Hawthorn have traditionally culturally been. They were never like this in the past. They were always humble in victory and gracious in defeat. Ken was in the wrong, but my message to Hawthorn would be don't create the environment in the first place - don't stoke the fire. It's not the Hawthorn way.

Ken shouldn't have responded, but if Ginnivan hadn't made those comments then the antagonistic environment wouldn't have existed in the first place and Ken wouldn't have been in a position to respond.
Ken isn’t responsible for Ginnivans actions or comments though, he’s responsible for his own, and given how much Ken clearly used those comments as motivation during the week and possibly on game-day, he really should have been thanking Ginnivan for making them, rather than helping to ensure he never did it again.

Ken isn’t responsible for Ginnivans actions or comments though, he’s responsible for his own,.
Yes, I agree. But my point is Hawthorn need to ensure their players treat the opposition with the requisite respect so that the ugly environment isn’t created in the first place. If the ugly environment is created, there is always a danger that a hot-head will respond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which bring us to another issue - Hawthorn. When I was growing up in the 80's Hawthorn was always known for being humble in victory and gracious in defeat. It was one of the things that defined them as a football club. John Kennedy instilled this ruthlessness in them, but was insistent that they treat teams with respect. Allan Jeans became the custodian of this in the 80's. When beating Essendon by a record margin in 1983 Jeans said, "Remember to be gracious as there are losers in the opposition rooms"

Jeans would never have tolerated the off-field rubbish that Ginnivan brings to the club. And all this selfie crap after the game. Nor would the great John Kennedy. The Hawks have got away with it because they've been winning and when you're winning, you just leave things as they are. But if they carry on like tools, all it does it create targets on your backs. Sam Mitchell needs to be aware of this, because the way they have been carrying on is not how Hawthorn have traditionally culturally been. They were never like this in the past. They were always humble in victory and gracious in defeat. Ken was in the wrong, but my message to Hawthorn would be don't create the environment in the first place - don't stoke the fire. It's not the Hawthorn way.
Ginnivan is a 21 year old kid that needs to mature, and yes he shouldn't have given any ammunition to the opposition no matter how innocent. A lesson hard learnt I hope.

Hinkley is a 6o year of man with a vast amount of experience but just showed himself to be totally classless. After a win he had to go and rub it in Ginnivans face and then continued on with his pathetic response all whilst a 300 game champion is being chaired off. No respect, dignity or humility.
The man should be ashamed of himself.

Super-foolish. There’s a reason guys like Hodge, Riewoldt and Lewis were so against what he did. These guys know what you do and what you don’t do in situations like this, and Ginni had just learned the hard way why you don’t do that.
Okay so he COULD HAVE used their pathetic performance against Geelong as motivation - a performance where they failed in every way. But we are gonna focus on a tweet from Ginni to an ex-teammate that presumes a win in a taunting way as motivation?

Ginni could have sent the same thing in private and avoided all the hysterical onlookeers. I was fine with it but it appears too many people in footy lack the ability to see somethihg for what it is.

But let's not ignore the fact that Ken Hinkley acted like a total child tonight and instead of celebrating a win decided to focus on Ginnivan. A great, epic finals win and all he could think about was Ginnivan. Historical win for the club - and where is Ken? Oh look, he's mouthing off at Ginnivan and Sicily.

Honestly - that's pathetic

Should be celebrating - instead he's doing that. What an absolute embarrassment

Last edited:
It's a weird reaction from a grown man

if he reacted like that to Rachele's "no teeth" jab, it make alot more sense because that was a targeted dig at Port

Ginnivin's post reads more just overt confidence with himself and his team - I don't even think he would have really been thinking all that much about Port or Hinkley

Ginnivan is not a kid by any stretch of the imagination. He's played for four seasons now. He sought attention and he got it, and was served a response.

Ginnivan is a 21 year old kid that needs to mature, and yes he shouldn't have given any ammunition to the opposition no matter how innocent. A lesson hard learnt I hope.

Hinkley is a 6o year of man with a vast amount of experience but just showed himself to be totally classless. After a win he had to go and rub it in Ginnivans face and then continued on with his pathetic response all whilst a 300 game champion is being chaired off. No respect, dignity or humility.
The man should be ashamed of himself.

This is so odd to me because you either try at something or you don’t? Right? I can’t imagine a professional sportsman getting right near the finish line and thinking “But Ginnivan said this!” Just seems absurd.

Ginnivan is not a kid by any stretch of the imagination. He's played for four seasons now. He sought attention and he got it, and was served a response.
Ken has already said he shouldn't have responded that way. He's admitted it was embarrassing.

Ken clearly has a very fragile ego. And instead of focusing on his coaching failure against Geelong, decided to focus on Jack Ginnivan. Effective sure. Pathetic, but effective.

Ken has already said he shouldn't have responded that way. He's admitted it was embarrassing.

Ken clearly has a very fragile ego. And instead of focusing on his coaching failure against Geelong, decided to focus on Jack Ginnivan. Effective sure. Pathetic, but effective.

What Ginnivan said on social media was pathetic and unprofessional. Kenny had every right to use it as he sees fit. I think Hawthorn people are suffering from the delusion that actions don't have consequences.

He 'owned it' in a pretty facile way, didn't admit to what was actually said just 'some words', very general explanation, and was not willing to actually apologise to the players he made the comments to directly. I think he knows it was not on but it wasn't some amazing show of accountability.

Thought Ginni's comment was extremely dumb and should've had far better social media literacy.

As a fan I hope Hawks just move on. Personally I couldn't care less about Port and I just want to see our team focusing on how to get better and win flags.

What Ginnivan said on social media was pathetic and unprofessional. Kenny had every right to use it as he sees fit. I think Hawthorn people are suffering from the delusion that actions don't have consequences.
Actions have consequences sure

But if you're gonna talk about professionalism how can you point a finger at Ginnivan but excuse Hinkley?

Breust was being chaired off for his 300th. Port had just had an epic finals win. What was Ken doing? Oh look, he's mouthing off.

If you want to talk about professionalism - let's talk about Hinkley and the complete lack of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Has Ken Hinkley Been Found Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back