Has Malthouse Been A Failure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people thought the combination of their list and Malthouse = Top 4.
Two non-Carlton supporters looking at each other, rolling their eyes and saying "bet they reckon they're top 4 now" is not 'a lot of people'.

You can't judge a new coach on the basis of half a season. Particularly when they haven't even been that bad. Certainly not a failure at this stage. The real challenge though will be getting the list to a position to contend before they lose their important senior players like Simpson, Judd, Scotland and Waite. Or else a rebuild will be in order.

Have seen some good stuff from the Blues this year but have also seen it in the past couple of years. I don't think that I have seen a Malthouse stamp in terms of game style but his influence may be there with particular individuals. Too hard to say outright whether it is MM or natural improvement through experience.
No game lost by more than 17 points is a positive but not something that MM will be seriously viewing as an indicator of improvement.

I'd like to see the documentation on that.
I'm going to assume that you don't believe this. So you're telling me Mick was brought in to rebuild and Carlton weren't expecting to make finals this year or next? Hahahahahahahahaha I love Carlton supporters. Get real d*ckhead

I'm going to assume that you don't believe this. So you're telling me Mick was brought in to rebuild and Carlton weren't expecting to make finals this year or next? Hahahahahahahahaha I love Carlton supporters. Get real d*ckhead
That's a paddlin'.

Seems that halfway ibn Mick has done no better than Ratten with the club set to miss finals again. Will the Blues actually benefit from Mick or is it too late for him to make them contend and challenge for a flag?

They'll make the finals, just been bloody unlucky to date. Watch 'em storm home in the second half of the season.

Write them off off at your own peril.

Hes been recruited with a short term goal to grab a premiership before Judd retires. Hes too old for long term plans and as much as Carlton fans might start pointing at the list etc etc, Malthouse was recruited for one thing and one thing only...a flag within 2-3 years.

It will prove to be a failure. That doesnt make Malthouse a failure though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Failure? Not yet.

Failure for Mick, who clearly took this job with significant motivation to get one back at Eddie McGuire - maybe.

If nothing happens in the next two years I'd write them off for some time. They've got no solid youth. I'm worried about how they'll go once the likes of Judd, Betts, Carrazo, Simpson, Waite etc. all disappear. Who are their young guns? They've got Kruezer and Gibbs who are relatively young but in the next 3 or 4 years, their players in the age bracket of 21 - 26 are going to be very mediocre. Who will be their future captain? Mitch Robinson? Does anyone think their drafting of late has been very poor? If you're relying on guys like Josh Bootsma and Chris Yarran to take over the side once the likes of Chris Judd and Marc Murphy retire/drop off I think you're in some serious strife. Another issue is Carlton have always been 'thereabouts', not high up the ladder but not low. So their access to high draft picks has been limited.

As for Mick Malthouse and their current side, I'm sure a lot of Carlton supporters out there would've expected them to be higher than where they are now. Whether they're learning a new game plan or not, Mick wasn't brought in as a long term proposition. He was brought in for instant success (1 - 2 years) and I'd say with the talent he has under him, he has failed to some degree. Having said that, I have seen a lot of improvement in Carlton as a team as the year has progressed but the problem as I mentioned earlier, is that I can't see any young players coming through with extensive scope for improvement. So where will this improvement come from? For them to be a threat they need to do something because I don't think this current side is up to it. The solution in my opinion is they need to be overly active in trade week. Go after a Lance Franklin, a Dale Thomas or an Adam Cooney and land a big fish like Essendon have done with Brendon Goddard otherwise this whole Malthouse experiment will be a complete failure. It's not too late but the clock is ticking.

My god i hate big footy sometimes, this post sums up the thread pure shit.

Oh my god.

Just when I thought Bigfooty could not get any dumber. Halfway into the first season of a three year tenure which is predominantly focused on building a premiership side and culture, and someone is posing whether Mick has been a failure.

Hilarious.

Yep, this is the first time its happened :rolleyes:

No he wasn't smart arse, we needed a player to lead a team that was far to young and had lost direction. Drafting Judd was a great get by the club. But your just here to troll and shoot yr 5 cent mouth off.
So all that "direction" got you one finals win which you probably would have achieved without him anyway

12 weeks in to a 3 year contract?!

CHILD PLEASE!

Carlton are on the up. Can't say the same about Malthouse's old team.

Dont get sucked in by the ladder which throws up inconsistencies depending on who has played who at ant point in time.

Carlton have not beaten any of the teams Collingwood have lost to, and they have lost to two teams we have beaten. They have lost to Collingwood head to head as well.

Carlton have had a total of 6 losses, all of which were by less than 3 goals. That statement tells a couple of stories.

1) Carlton are lacking a bit of self-belief to finish teams off when in a winning position.
2) They are hard to beat, ie. they must be doing some things right.

Jarrad Waite has played 45 of Carlton's last 100 games. Make of that what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back