Has the tanking already started?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 10, 2004
The Mothership
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pistons/Hammers/Sri Lanka/The Exers
Going by John Worsfold's comments about their finals chances on the weekend, it sounds suspiciously to me like the Eagles have decided to jack in the season after a 1-5 start.

Now I can't figure out how a side who still has the amount of talent the Eagles do can 1) Be 1-5 at this point of the season, and 2) suggest their finals chances are already shot.

I ask the question, have the Eagles decided it is in their best interests to get themselves a shot at a Natanui or Rich in the next draft and start again in 2009?

Maybe we aren't good enough to tank. Probably won't know for sure until we play Melbourne in rd.20.

With all the draft concessions for the new teams coming into effect over the next couple of years, this years draft might be the last time for a little while to take advantage of the AFL's incompetence in managing the tanking issue.

I dont think we are tanking. We just dont have the cattle due to departures and injury. Already 36 players used this season.

We are just not playing well. Our leaders are doing nothing, and we are playing all our youngsters who are worthy of a game.

No Cousins, Judd, Chick, Jones, Sampi, and Priddis (injured most of the year).

Imagine Geelong losing Ablett, Bartel, Harley, Wojinski, and a dud, and having ling injured.

How would you fare up.

West coast have only missed out on the finals about 3 times in their terrein, can't they be shit for 1 year.

Geelong will have their down years as well, and the tanking debate will be arisen.

I think it is a combination of loss of key talent and loss of confidence. It happens to one or two teams every year - Bulldogs in 07, Geelong in 06.

Going by John Worsfold's comments about their finals chances on the weekend, it sounds suspiciously to me like the Eagles have decided to jack in the season after a 1-5 start.

Now I can't figure out how a side who still has the amount of talent the Eagles do can 1) Be 1-5 at this point of the season, and 2) suggest their finals chances are already shot.

I ask the question, have the Eagles decided it is in their best interests to get themselves a shot at a Natanui or Rich in the next draft and start again in 2009?

I dont think we are good enough to tank. Nature will take its course.

We have injuries and the depth of a puddle. I think we are more interested in offloading players and kicking them to the curb (Chad Fletcher, retiring Braun, Hansen) then we are in winning. Its fair enough. Fix the list and off we go in 2009

Yet you lost two finals games last season, one by 3 points and the other went to extra time and you were missing Judd, Cousins and Kerr....

We said this ages ago and no one listened. Why all of a sudden is this a good point. We know its not a permanent thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are tanking, I'll start spending 3 hours a weekend doing something other than watching football.

The finals are looking unlikely (as Worsfold said), but I'd much rather come home with a wet sail than finish in the bottom couple.

Same here but it wont happen im afraid. Just bare with it for a year :(

Just not good enough atm, down on confidence, some expereinced players in crap form, dont seem to be following any real game plan, seemed to put no apparent pressure on the opposition when they have the ball, cant do 4 qrt of footy-seem to crumble in between the 1st and last, etc. Is hard to see when the next win will come and that might even include the Carlton game.....:eek: :rolleyes:

Tanking also has a lot to do with list management and team selection.

The only senior players we let go are those we had to let go, retiree Rowan Jones and Josh Wooden, who was never a star and didn't even play in 2007 due to injury.

The only available senior players (I guess you could call Hansen senior) outside the current 22 are Fletcher and Hansen, whose performances have not been up to scratch, and Chad Jones & Masten have earned their spots.

If we were fair dinkum about tanking, Glass, Kerr (well he's out now, well done Daniel) & Cox would not be in the side, as none are fully fit.

We're not tanking, we're just playing shit footy atm. Woosha's just being realistic, with the injuries we have, plus now Kerr's suspension we just don't have the players to compete at the highest level.

Not tanking. If we were tanking we'd at least be competitive for most of the game only to drop off in the last few minutes to have yet another unlucky loss...

Currently players just look disinterested & are playing with a complete lack of commitment & intensity. You could point to a number of reasons why, including the departure of 2 leaders and absolute superstars (Judd & Cuzz), the scrutiny from the AFL, media & public regarding the clubs culture and off-field going ons, etc.
We still have a good list, I wouldn't be surprised if at some stage in the year the players just switched on & started winning games.

First 5 games we played interstate teams and then the Dogs on a roll.

I picked us 1 from 5 when I first say the draw and any injuries were factored in.

Now we have lost M Brown, Pridis, Hurn, Le Cras and Hunter all injured on top of Cuz, Judd, Chick and Rowan Jones.

Glass and Cox are playing hurt and Kerr tore a major hammie pre season and our forward line is.........well our forward line:eek:

On top of that Hansen, Fletcher, Nicoski and Braun are all way way down in form.

If we had NO injuries at all you could say we are tanking but seriously people you take that list of talent out of any club AND play quality opposition how many would your team win???

yes if we win under 4 games this year and maybe next we will have 3 top 5 picks in 2years :D
i just think it is going to be a rich season for the eagles

Its interesting how supporters from Essendon and Eagles who lambasted other teams for supposedly tanking are more then happy to do it now.

Were is the so called winning culture that makes you so good in your own eyes and elevates your teams to greatness against quality in your list?

do we really have a choice?

i mean, i use to play amateur footy, and we had this one guy who would just make you go 'wow' when he had the ball .. he went down injured in one game, and we basically lost our self belief and confidence, and no one stood up.

the eagles just lost 2 of the best midfielders in the past 20 years ....... were low on confidence and low on self belief, its not like we are in a position to win games and then decide to turnover the ball on every possession .. we've been in it for the majority of the game, to only have a brain fade between 2nd-3rd quarter ..

Bit early i'd say. But this could be a real big issue for the next two seasons with the new franchises. Funny to see the supporters that blasted us here...

Its interesting how supporters from Essendon and Eagles who lambasted other teams for supposedly tanking are more then happy to do it now.

Were is the so called winning culture that makes you so good in your own eyes and elevates your teams to greatness against quality in your list?

You can talk, concentrate on your club

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the tanking already started?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back