Has travel/living OS changed your AFL experience/outlook?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL has a pretty ordinary atmosphere at most games compared to a lot of other comps around the globe.

Don't get the OP's arguments about the "corrupt AFL". Just have a look at how soccer in Europe is run. Would he prefer the AFL to turn into a Darwinian battle for survival where the top clubs like Collingwood win every year?

Agree with the OP however on the prevalance of "meaningless games" or games that lose any meaning by half time.

I've lived in Western New York, Christchurch, Ushuaia, Hobart, and Perth. In Western New York the NFL and Ice Hockey are the most popular sports. Syracuse Basketball, and local Lacrosse are also big. Ushuaia like most Argentinian cities loves soccer, but has 2 or 3 local Rugby clubs also. Christchurch is obviously rugby mad, and Hobart and Perth both are AFL cities.

Having been lucky enough to have experienced living in all those places, I've come to appreciate the AFL more. Besides ice hockey(which is inherently faster being on skates), Australian Football is the fastest sport of all. It has the most action, and is definitely the best to watch in person. The general concept of the game is easy to pick up and comprehend, unlike Rugby and American Football which requires a lot of time to learn the complex rules.

Fans of AFL, Rugby, NFL, League etc debate alot about which sport is the roughest/toughest. The answer is None of the Them. Lacrosse is the roughest, toughest, and most dangerous team sport of all.

Really good thread - I travelled from an early age and lived OS for few years (mainly Europe), came home and was much better for the whole experience. If it were possible I would suggest travelling OS as mandatory for all who leave school. There is nothing like it to open your mind, learn how others live and appreciate what you have. I guess relating to sport and the AFL is the same - I lived in Sydney most of my life and then moved to Melbourne for a few years. My family have always had an interest in Aussie Rules coming from origninaly Broken Hill (where it is played). Growing up it was rugby league with knowledge of Aussie rules, when living in Melbourne and meeting my partner (who was an avid Footscray supporter) I started going to games. They were magic, hadnt experienced footy like it. What I dont have and never will is the whole live, breath and eat it syndrome....my ex partner does coupled with a very big chip on his shoulder re the Melbourne vs Sydney thing.

I find it all very strange and it never occurs to me that a person is from another state, they are from Australia. One of the things I also found strange was the Footy Show (AFL)...very parochial and base, I do have a sense of humour but they suffer from narrowmindedness gone mad.

Living overseas helped me gain some perspective in life and whilst I love my footy I too have seen the other side where people have put it before other major events in life.

I do not take much notice of the hype and off field dealings, just go and support my team. Do not have control over the other things.

AFL has a pretty ordinary atmosphere at most games compared to a lot of other comps around the globe.

Don't get the OP's arguments about the "corrupt AFL". Just have a look at how soccer in Europe is run. Would he prefer the AFL to turn into a Darwinian battle for survival where the top clubs like Collingwood win every year?

Agree with the OP however on the prevalance of "meaningless games" or games that lose any meaning by half time.

Name any sport in the world which doesn't face this problem as the season wears on.

As for the atmosphere at AFL games-there are electric atmospheres to match anything in the world and games which are rather dull. karmichael Hunt said he had never experienced an atmosphere like the drawn grand final and says he can't wait to be a part of it. This from a man who has played in NRL GF's, State of Origin, and Rugby in France. No doubt there are some terrible atmospheres at EPL grounds and in NFL games. I've seen them on t.v and many have been as flat as year old lemonade.

[/B]

Name any sport in the world which doesn't face this problem as the season wears on.

As for the atmosphere at AFL games-there are electric atmospheres to match anything in the world and games which are rather dull. karmichael Hunt said he had never experienced an atmosphere like the drawn grand final and says he can't wait to be a part of it. This from a man who has played in NRL GF's, State of Origin, and Rugby in France. No doubt there are some terrible atmospheres at EPL grounds and in NFL games. I've seen them on t.v and many have been as flat as year old lemonade.

On average, I'd say AFL's atmosphere isn't as great as the ones most soccer fans provide. Of course if you choose the drawn GF as a point of reference there probably won't be too many sports that can compare.

On average, I'd say AFL's atmosphere isn't as great as the ones most soccer fans provide. Of course if you choose the drawn GF as a point of reference there probably won't be too many sports that can compare.

I dont know about any other soccer leagues other than the EPL.. but the EPL atmosphere is not that great... somewhat overrated in my experience. It might be different in Italy or Spain?

AFL Atmosphere >> EPL atmosphere

I ask because for me it has.

Now days I dont like AFL less, but I find it doesnt rule my life as much. I am also a lot less likely to make a comment like "best game in the world" as there are SO MANY quality sports and sporting leagues, many of which I enjoy - and even if I dont, I understand why other people love them.

I am a MASSIVE fan of NFL (easily the equal of AFL to me now), love my Puck, follow the NBA and a number of soccer leagues and love a bit of cricket. I am really interested in getting to some Melbourne Rebels games as I have always enjoyed international Union games but it is a sport I perhaps dont understand all that well.

• I find the AFL season too long and filled with two many boring meaningless games.
  • I find the AFL administration annoying, shortsighted and corrupt.
  • I would rather watch a good quality/big game rather than watch my own team play in an unimportant/crap game.
  • This year I got myself a Melbourne FC club membership (to go with my mum) and still havent got a GFC one.
  • I would rather go with mates to watch their teams than go by myself to watch my team.
  • I am much more objective and enjoy the game as a whole, rather than being one eyed.

On reflection, it is one part getting older, one part being lucky enough to see my own team win a flag and three parts living overseas that has made me change my attitude towards AFL.

I still love footy, we just have a different relationship now.

Whats your experience?

I also love NFL. Its just so much more cerebral than other sports. Its a thinking-man's sport, its like a chess match with players. Brains count as much as brawn. AFL in comparison is just chaos, which also has its charms. But I think AFL is at its best when they have set plays etc

I agree with you about AFL admin. They just seem so unprofessional, so shamelessly Victorian and backyardish compared to most professional leagues. It really is a shame.

Watch a game of chess if you like watching people think. I would suggest NFL players do a lot less thinking than AFL players because all of their plays are drilled into them and spontaneous decision making is rare.

This may be true to an extent, but I think it only highlights why Aussie Rules is a more entertaining game...

Australian crowds in general always get out-sung by the brits in soccer/cricket too...

This is because there is no need for it in the games we grew up watching (AR, RL) therefore we are lacking practice.

I dont think I've ever even had a beer at a footy match in all my years, no time.

I have to disagree .
I haven't experienced any fans of any code get into a game like fans of AR get into a game .

Had to respond to this... ahh, I'm no soccer fan, but games in South America and Europe were significantly, massively, louder than footy games here. We need to accept that soccer provides a far noisier atmosphere. That said, fans are segregated and just generally awful people to be around (OK, i'm talking specifically about English soccer fans here!). And whilst it's loud, it's also quite depressing that all this hatred can be centred on what is a bunch of guys kicking around a bit of leather. Give me the atmosphere at the MCG over the hyper-aggressive soccer thing any day.

In answer to the OPs query, I lived o/s for five years on two different (soccer obsessed) continents. When I was younger I liked all sports, but these days it's probably 90% AFL and 10% for the rest. This is not to say i've become more passionate about footy, its just that the interest in everything else has been taken over by other things.
I think living overseas has made me more appreciative of what we have here in many ways, and in particular the amazingly unique culture that there is around footy... its often maligned in the media, but its so inclusive, so egalitarian... probably the ideals the country itself aspires to share.
As for other sports, I've got no real respect for soccer (though Id never admit that to my foreign friends) It's a game for European peasants that swept the globe because of its simplicity. The Coca Cola of world sports! I gained an appreciation for Union in the UK... loved the Six Nations, and I've spent some time in the US and realised I actually liked baseball. I'm sure if I lived there I'd definitely follow it.
But these days, just footy for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great Thread ..... Had about 5 years in the states and just like the OP just loved the sporting experience you get over there.
Love the NFL and got into baseball too.
However in saying all that....Those Grand Final nights at some wild bar with a few Aussie and American mates were a blast

Those moments where you're watching the GF overseas at some ungodly hour with a bunch of randoms are special...

I remember watching the 2006 GF between WC and Sydney at a pub somewhere in West London. Waking at 4.30am and walking out into the drizzle with my mate and a couple of cans of Guinness (!!!) to get a cab to the venue.

Then South America was tough... I had two GF's there. Missed the first, but managed to get Geelong vs St Kilda on some illegal internet feed. Got drunk alone and watched on my mate's laptop which sounds lame... yeah ok, it was lame.

I've been in my adopted city of Vancouver for a year now and I can't wait for the season to start. I didn't bother reading much during the pre-season because my Cats bowed out dissapointingly last season and I was a bit over it. However, I got my international membership, put my bumper sticker on my car and am geared up for the Saints game which is airing here live. I've got a few Canadian friends coming over so I'll have to teach them the game.

I don't think my relationship with AFL has changed too much. I don't read as much about it as I used to and tend to only watch Cats games or perhaps a big game live ANZAC Day or something. It's a great game. People can't believe that games regularly gets 50-60k supporters when there are 10 teams just in one city. Also, to get a full season membership for around $250 is great value. You'll spend about $180 getting two cheaper seats to the NHL.

Hockey is the only game that compares in my opinion. It's a fast 360 degree game that is very physical. If you think Melbourne is crazy about AFL, you should see how much hockey dominates news in Canada. They go crazy over junior championships!

Anyway, it isn't as big a part of my life as it was, but I love Australian Rules. I need to get out to the park and kick my Sherrin around :)

Watch a game of chess if you like watching people think. I would suggest NFL players do a lot less thinking than AFL players because all of their plays are drilled into them and spontaneous decision making is rare.

I have to disagree with you on that. The Offense and Defense change plays (after they are called by the Coach) all the time based on what the other side is doing. American Football is an extremely cerebral game.

Those blokes watch hours upon hours of film in preparation for their next game.

I have been living in South America for the past 2 years. I would say my interest in Geelong has been the same as when I was in Australia. I download most of the games after they are played and watched the grand finals on live streams. However I have also developed a big interest in soccer, I have never seen such passion about for a sport. In Argentina every single game for the national league is shown live on free to air television (mainly a method to get votes for the current government).

It can turn ridiculous and end up in deaths and fights with other fans and the police. One guy died last week in a fight with police. I didn't really enjoy getting bags of urine and spit landing on my head from the opposition supporters who sat above us at one game. Or being involved in a mass stampede of fans running from the police who were hurling battons and tear gas at us.

You won't see this at the AFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFLUhGeyGIE

Been in Dubai for just on 3 years now and still miss going to see a live game.
We get 2 matches live each week and a highlight package so I now watch other teams far more than I used to.
Still have a season ticket/membership with Port Adelaide and hope to see 1 or 2 games in July.
We get coverage of sport from all over the world here but apart from watching the Premier League with English mates and keeping an eye on the cricket I find it hard to get really interested.
Have been to Basketball and NFL games in the US (am employed by a US company) and the games are definitely an event but without being a fanatic it lacks something.
I think my interest in AFL itself has increased but I find the latest scandals/rumours boring and tend to not even read the articles anymore.

I'm completely open minded on sport. I've spent long time in Ireland and England and love hurling which is world sports great secret jewel and like Everton soccer. I actually quite like rubgy league but find Union a bore.

For me I don't think footy is better than other sports. Such comparison is meaningless. However I just love footy and the tigers. It is my choice, my passion, my interest. I've been to Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, I've seen top cricket. However for me the anticipation of the Tiges playing is just different. Thursday against Carlton is for me the biggest sporting event in the world this week.

This may be true to an extent, but I think it only highlights why Aussie Rules is a more entertaining game...

Australian crowds in general always get out-sung by the brits in soccer/cricket too...

This is because there is no need for it in the games we grew up watching (AR, RL) therefore we are lacking practice.

I dont think I've ever even had a beer at a footy match in all my years, no time.

can't agree more, i've always been of the opinion that they sing to pass the time because there's not a lot going on on the ground (and that's coming from a soccer fan)

yeah had a great discussion with a mad chelsea fan who said he didn't understand how we could just sit there and watch the game

"don't you get bored just watching the game"
"no.... don't you get bored just singing shitty songs and not watching the game?"

we agreed to disagree

top thread by the way, great reading peoples views on afl and other sports without it turning into X sport is better than Y sport

I've found AFL does worse than nothing to expand the game overseas, which I believe is crucial for the long term future of our game.

If you want to watch AFL online from overseas, you have to pay for it. People living overseas are not in the position to pay for foxtel/go to games, so the AFL is'nt losing out any revenue. The small amount they make online from fans willing to pay would be insignificant, while the restriction of free access is counter productive to expats trying to increase interest and exposure to our game.

The AFL could make some chump change by charging people overseas for the game, or they can distribute it free with the aim of increasing international support (and revenue).

I cringe a bit when I see some posters who have never left Australia shitting on American Sports.

Why? Believe it or not, not everyone worships American sports. I repeatedly tried watching the main three (American football, baseball, and basketball), and all three bored me to tears. Doesn't diminish how good they are at playing their own sports, but personally I'd rather have teeth pulled than watch a basketball game.

My sporting preferences remain the same. Number one would be footy, but even then I'm selective. I'll obviously watch Geelong games, but Melbourne v Port Adelaide would see me running away from the screen rather than towards it.

Number two would be soccer, and watching Zinedine Zidane play for Real Madrid at the Bernabeu would be one of the sporting highlights of my life (exceeded only by Geelong's premierships and Gary Ablett senior). Then cricket, but even then only test cricket. Managed to see a day's play at Lord's which was pretty cool. Boxing would be line-ball with cricket I'd say, although a good title fight would almost top the list.

I will add, whatever the preference is for individual sports, I'm totally convinced that football players here are just as proficient at their skills as any from overseas. There seems to be an inferiority complex around Australian sports, especially in regard to the US. It's almost like the sheer size of their market and the exposure it receives makes it so superior (it isn't). Ablett, Franklin and Riewoldt are just as skilled in their sport as anyone from overseas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has travel/living OS changed your AFL experience/outlook?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back