Have Freo made a horrible mistake in their plans to relocate their HQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it actually pronounced 'Co-Burn'?

Yes. It's the sort of thing we used to laugh at on the school bus as 11 year olds when we passed the sign giving directions to Cockburn, but we've usually grown out of it by the time we were 12.

Lots of old English and Scottish names get pronounced differently to how they are spelt. The person who Hobart was named after for example, pronounced the family name as something closer to Hobbit than the modern Hobart.

Yes. It's the sort of thing we used to laugh at on the school bus as 11 year olds when we passed the sign giving directions to Cockburn, but we've usually grown out of it by the time we were 12.

Lots of old English and Scottish names get pronounced differently to how they are spelt. The person who Hobart was named after for example, pronounced the family name as something closer to Hobbit than the modern Hobart.

I suspect that those who still snicker at Cockburn would be all at sea with Worcestershire and Leicester, and let's not get started on coxswain!

Fremantle - Cockburn

Get Directions

transparent.png

Suggested routes
  1. 15.6 km, 19 mins
    transparent.png
    In current traffic: 21 mins
    South St and North Lake Rd
  2. 14.9 km, 19 mins
    transparent.png
    In current traffic: 20 mins
    North Lake Rd
  3. 17.4 km, 21 mins
    transparent.png
    In current traffic: 24 mins
In short, who gives us ****! It takes Pav that long to put an ample amount of gel in his hair.

Is it actually pronounced 'Co-Burn'?

I believe there is also a football (soccer) team called 'Cockburn City' - If it was pronounced 'Co-Burn', I can imagine away fans being more willing to visit there :D

It is indeed pronounced Ko Burn, check the white pages and you will find a few people have the surname Cockburn.

No way do they pronounce it Kok Burn, it's the juvenile or ill informed that think so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo guys so upset about ****-burn, as if you wouldn't be having the same laugh. You're all so wise and mature.

also lol ****-burn.
It's not really upset, more bored and frustrated that what we used to laugh at when we were 9, but got over by the time puberty hit, is back on the agenda again.

I prefer not to relive my school days.

So yeah, we're wiser and more mature than you.

It's not really upset, more bored and frustrated that what we used to laugh at when we were 9, but got over by the time puberty hit, is back on the agenda again.

I prefer not to relive my school days.

So yeah, we're wiser and more mature than you.
If the situation was reversed there's no way it wouldn't be brought up repeatedly for any other team in the league and you know it. Plus it was worth a small chuckle before but the rage it's causing some of your supporters is what's turning this into a full blown lolocalypse. The harder they complain the funnier it's going to be.

If the situation was reversed there's no way it wouldn't be brought up repeatedly for any other team in the league and you know it. Plus it was worth a small chuckle before but the rage it's causing some of your supporters is what's turning this into a full blown lolocalypse. The harder they complain the funnier it's going to be.
It doesn't even make sense to me when I'm reading it, because I see Co burn where you see **** burn. It's like reading a post that says LOL Smith.

Anyway, knock yourself out. Just remember that trolling on the main board is supposed to be discouraged.

It doesn't even make sense to me when I'm reading it, because I see Co burn where you see **** burn. It's like reading a post that says LOL Smith.

Anyway, knock yourself out. Just remember that trolling on the main board is supposed to be discouraged.
Lighten up mate, I'm just saying this is why people are laughing, it's stupid and some people are getting offended for no good reason. Anyway, enough derail.

Co-burn obviously. How do you spell it?

I was actually being serious, I presumed you went the kok burn route because of your location.

I do understand that Messicans would pronounce it like that, unless they knew someone with that surname.
It doesn't bother me at all #fumbsup

Mate, it's on a very long, slow and possibly terminal decline. Maybe you can't see it because you are there often enough to have adjusted to its change, but as someone who visits sparsely enough to have noticed, it just gets more like a museum each time, and just a little bit more run down. You can't be iron fisted on heritage and expect a vibrant community - they are ultimately incompatible concerns.

You are right - the Council and the million activist groups (mainly old people pretending to care about heritage and 'green' issues who really only care about property prices) that oppose every kind of residential development are seriously holding Freo city back - but no way will Freo city die. Sooner or later the baby boomers will be out-voted and Freo city will be back big time. Might be 10 years away though but it is happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Have Freo made a horrible mistake in their plans to relocate their HQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back