Have we improved?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it is only one game, and I should be humble in victory and that, but I can't help myself..

Hey Rucci, I know you are reading this.... And you can stick it where it belongs.

And more, if you so even dare to try and weasel your words and pretend you were misunderstood and even take a skerrick of praise for yourself, then you sink even lower.

C'mon Matty, evoke you predecessor at the presser... "Michalangelo Rucci, you were wrong"

If we beat all the teams below us plus some of the teams above us then yes we have improved.
There are two games to go (WB and GWS) before we can tell if we have improved or not.

Seriously, how much improvement did people expect in one season? By my estimate we are heading for at least 7 wins this season despite a draw widely considered the most difficult of all teams. Last season we won 3. Dramatic improvement like we saw at West Coast last season and Adelaide this season would have been nice but unrealistic. Stating the obvious to say we still have a hell of a long way to go, Primus is the first to admit this, but anyone who says we haven't improved this season is just a troll. As supporters I think we need to be realistic and appreciate the FACT that Primus has things headed in the right direction.

Lost by 60+ 8 times in 2011, NIL times in 2012 so far.

Almost definitely going to have at least double the amount of wins.

Are we 100% moving in the right direction as a club? Remains to be seen. Have we improved? Absolutely.
Even better when we consider the number of games missed by players in our best 22.
And that is not even including the players getting games just because we didn't have fit replacements, Trengove and Butcher just to name 2.

Are we 100% moving in the right direction as a club? Remains to be seen. Have we improved? Absolutely.
When you put it like that...

For us to have had a very good year, we really needed big seasons from the trio of Boak, Hartlett and Gray and consistent years from the likes of Pearce, Salopek, Schulz, Chaplin, Carlile and Surjan. If Butcher, Lobbe and Trengove had all improved on their form of 2011, then we would have been really laughing.

Very little of that has actually eventuated other than the fact that Pearce, Schulz and Surjan have been consistent and reliable. Where we've made up some ground has been the improvement in Broadbent and recently Moore and the consistency of Brad Ebert and Paul Stewart. Together, it's resulted in an improved season but as Primus said 2 weeks ago, the improvement has not been as much as we would have liked.

To think that Gray has missed the whole year and that Boak and Hartlett each missed a month and showed only up and down form, it's no surprise we only have the 5 wins, so far.

We have improved in that we haven't fallen apart at the seams. I'm not sure that is necessarily a huge aim for a professional sports club. I don't see much to suggest that we will be able to break out of the bottom four (excluding expansion clubs) for a while yet, even with a full list to choose from.

This sums up my thoughts completely. We're certainly not doing everything right, but we're doing a hell of a lot more right than we did last year.

I think next year with the right draw and a decent run with injuries we should be able to push 9-10 wins. If we end up with 6 wins this year then thats steady improvement. We wont spike up the ladder as we dont have the talent or depth to do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Following on from this while our points scored this year is relatively consistent with last years, we are conceding 93 points per game so far this year (1495 from 16 games). Last year was 2663 from 22 which is just over 121. Factor in a good GWS result and we should be conceding 30 less points per game in a fortnight's time when compared to last year.

Have improved but we need to make big strides in the next 2-3 years as teams like GWS and Gold Coast may just overtake us with their young talents reaching 50+ games and starting to hit their prime.

hit the nail on the head. Theres still a few games to go and Port have a few winnable games coming up.

We've shuffled some names but I'm not sure we've got any actual improvement.

I look at improvement in terms of positives and negatives;

Positives - Brabert, Redden, P Stew, Moore, Wingard, Jonas and Jacobs (yes him).
Negatives - Gray, Pittard, Butcher, D Stew, Newton. Also Chappy, Brebert, Surjan and Carlile stagnant.

The negatives are mainly injury related and the positives are a real squad addition and individual improvements.

OK, but how is that tangibly different to last year or the year before? Is it over-all any better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we improved?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back