Have we seen the worst umpiring decision in finals history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Have we seen the worst umpiring decision in Finals history

Don't pretend like if the rolls were reversed, you lot wouldn't be saying the free kick was justified.
If Gwilt tackled Mooney exactly the same, and they paid him the free kick and he won the game you wouldn't be whinging that the free kick wasn't there.

If the roles were reversed I would be focussing frame 378 of the replay, and not frame 363. :D

Its ok. So long as you admit that if the roles were indeed reversed your forum would be full of the same stuff. ;)

Yeh.

Maybe your effeminate coach needs to get over the 'poster' from last years GF.

We don't go on about the 'double goal' that was to given to make up for it.

We all know the Aints are afraid of meeting us in the big dance again.

We won't lose to you again, dubious umpiring or not.

Now get off our board you dainty little metros.

If that free kick was paid in the middle of the ground no one would talk about it because people who understand the rule know that it was blatant and hats off IMO to the umpire for having the guts to call it.

In the end its all evened itself out. And credit to the geelong supporters who have been gracious in defeat and acknowledge its not the reason you lost, but the title of this thread is outrageous.

Agreed.

Theres worse umpiring in the swans/blues game.

Since when can you play on around a mark WHEN YOU ARE STANDING OVER THE BOUNDARY LINE.

Not even the commentators picked up on it.

And don't even get me started on that 'interchange infraction, WAIT NO IT WASNT'.

We need to get umpires that have actually played the game before.

Umpires are flaming homosexual maggots.

l thought the umps helped the saints in last years prelim giving roo soft frees all night.my beef with the mooney free it was a late call by the ump.anyway suck it and bring the A game next week.

I think it was a graet game of footy played in two halves 1st half St Kilda 2nd half the cats but i think you are wrong with the late dicision you can hear the umpires whistle well before Lingy kicks the ball any way thats history now lets get on with the rest of the finals.cheers.

Theres worse umpiring in the swans/blues game.

Since when can you play on around a mark WHEN YOU ARE STANDING OVER THE BOUNDARY LINE.

Not even the commentators picked up on it.

And don't even get me started on that 'interchange infraction, WAIT NO IT WASNT'.

We need to get umpires that have actually played the game before.

Umpires are flaming homosexual maggots.

The one later that wasn't paid holding the ball against Mummy was disgraceful. Was as clear cut a free as I've ever seen in my life and not one of them had the guts to call it.

Later on When Dennis-Lane kicked the winner he had to complete the tackle before the free was paid when it should have been paid as soon as Armfield tried to take a bounce.

They should be paid on a performance based system (i.e. be rewarded/penalised accordingly after reviewing the decisions they've made during the game).

You carn't takle from the front, Pods prooved that!

Now you carn't tackle from behind, so effectively tacklings been outlawed at the discression of the umpires.
The game is now an umpires paradise, totally subjective to their feelings at any given time.

AFL, save the game!!! its push!!! Re: hands, push in the back by hand or forearm.
Not a wrap tackle, otherwise this law is a farce.

If a player falls forward in a wrap tackle from behind that's his problem, its not a push by hand, he's just gone to ground!!

The umps have to much freedom of interpretation on this one, something should be done for the sake of the game.

Now you carn't tackle from behind, so effectively tacklings been outlawed at the discression of the umpires.
The game is now an umpires paradise, totally subjective to their feelings at any given time.

AFL, save the game!!! its push!!! Re: hands, push in the back by hand or forearm.

If a player falls forward in a wrap tackle from behind that's his problem, its not a push by hand, he's just gone to ground!!

The umps have to much freedom of interpretation on this one, something should be done for the sake of the game.

You can tackle from behind, rhys shaw proved that today. It was a push in the back, doesnt matter if he was standing sitting or lying down.

Of course you can tackle from the front or behind providing the tackle is below the shoulders and above the knees. If you tackle from behind and fall on the opponent there's a risk of a free kick. The Moons free was a 50/50 in my book. The better umps pick-up clear cut decisions and let 50/50s go - that's what should have happened here. But let's get over it. We lost the game because of a shocker of a first half.

Of course you can tackle from the front or behind providing the tackle is below the shoulders and above the knees. If you tackle from behind and fall on the opponent there's a risk of a free kick. The Moons free was a 50/50 in my book. The better umps pick-up clear cut decisions and let 50/50s go - that's what should have happened here. But let's get over it. We lost the game because of a shocker of a first half.

More like 90/10, it was a free, you lost the game because mooney couldnt lay a textbook tackle.

my beef with the mooney free it was a late call by the ump..

Late call??

The ump blew his whistle straight away and without hesitation, and well before Ling kicked the ball.

While you can argue the merits or not of paying the free kick, when it was paid is clear cut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More like 90/10, it was a free, you lost the game because mooney couldnt lay a textbook tackle.

You haven't seen the video. He grabbed him around the waist, half dragged him down, half sideways, and Mooney hit the ground next to Gwilt, not on top of him as some people keep incorrectly saying. Mooney's hip was half on Gwilts backside and that was about it. They just don't pay those frees.

You tell me we're you buy this textbook, and I'll read about the hands -push in the back rule.

Gwilt should've been penalized for diving forward and the goal should've counted .

There is a lot of inconsisteancy in this thread..

Some want Mooney's in the back not paid because they state that Gwilt was already moving forward..

Yet when Selwood forces an infringement like he does, they want it to be to be a free kick as he ends up getting high contact. In Selwood's case he makes a deliberate decision to try and convert what starts as a legal tackle into an infringement. IMO it is afree and opponents have to learn how to tackle him better.

In the Gwilt decision Mooney knew where Gwilt's body was going and it was up to him to not infringe in tackling him.

So to all the Cat fans, is a free kick, a free kick on how it ends up or not?

As an ex-AFL player stated on the radio on Saturday it is not whether the Gwilt decision should have been paid, but rather why like incidents are not paid in the back when missed.

Let's get positive folks.

the Mooney Tackle need not be the end of the story.
The route has changed for the Cats but not the destination. They will expect and be expected to beat the youthful Dockers on Friday night. For more than a couple a tune-up will be handy.
There can be no premiership without beating Collingwood. That quest will have to be undertaken a week earlier than scheduled.
Read the obituaries to this team and store them away. The creed hasn't changed. [SIZE=+2]Yes we can![/SIZE]
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/09/06/207631_geelong_sports.html

Fairdinkum. Are we still bitching about this?

Get over it.

We lost.

End of story.

I've seen that paid in the back plenty of times.

The Cats have no one to blame but themselves for their poor first half.

Some of you blokes sound like nancy boys.

Fairdinkum. Are we still bitching about this?

Get over it.

We lost.

End of story.

I've seen that paid in the back plenty of times.

The Cats have no one to blame but themselves for their poor first half.

Some of you blokes sound like nancy boys.

Agreed. Let it go. It's not coming back.

Beat Freo and we are where we were last year. A prelim final against the pies.

There is a lot of inconsisteancy in this thread..

Some want Mooney's in the back not paid because they state that Gwilt was already moving forward..

Yet when Selwood forces an infringement like he does, they want it to be to be a free kick as he ends up getting high contact. In Selwood's case he makes a deliberate decision to try and convert what starts as a legal tackle into an infringement. IMO it is afree and opponents have to learn how to tackle him better.

In the Gwilt decision Mooney knew where Gwilt's body was going and it was up to him to not infringe in tackling him.

So to all the Cat fans, is a free kick, a free kick on how it ends up or not?

As an ex-AFL player stated on the radio on Saturday it is not whether the Gwilt decision should have been paid, but rather why like incidents are not paid in the back when missed.

Not one single Saints player on the scene, including Gwilt, appealed for the free. Gwilt didn't think he landed on his back either, apparently.

Can't link the two incidents and come up with a one-fits-all. You might be right about Selwood's free. But that has nothing to do with Mooney landing on his right knee on the ground, and not on Gwilt's back.

If any Cat's supporter puts it forward that we lost because of the Gwilt/Mooney free, then I'll join you. You won fair and square, or at least you were the better team on the day. Furthermore, I think the ump paid it because he missed a more obvious free in the back by Mooney only seconds before. Watch the video. A Saints player has the ball and Mooney pushes him in the back, and it spills to Gwilt.

It was a text book free kick. A stupid tackle which cost you the game. He drove him straight into the ground.

Should have been 50m against Mooney aswell. Disgusting sportsmanship.

It was a text book free kick. A stupid tackle which cost you the game. He drove him straight into the ground.

Should have been 50m against Mooney aswell. Disgusting sportsmanship.

Heat of the moment stuff. I betcha worse stuff has been said that hasnt been caught on the ump's mics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we seen the worst umpiring decision in finals history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back