Have you ever seen the rain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Notice whenever the TV station/commentators want to emphasise how heavy the rain is falling at a night game, they cut to a shot of the light tower

There was a Bears game many years ago out at Waverley, where it started hailing. Can't remember which player it was but they took a mark and shielded themself from the hail while trying to line up to kick. Proof that you can see the rain on AFL on TV - it just needs to be frozen and large....

Paul Peos.

I know exactly what the OP means and have often wondered it myself. Some smart alecks in this thread are a bit disappointing.

I suspect it's something to do with the lenses of the main cameras used, because they want the clearest possible picture for the viewer, however when they want to emphasise amount of rain, they will switch to another camera to demonstrate how hard it is raining, or show a shot of the light tower.

I know exactly what the OP means and have often wondered it myself. Some smart alecks in this thread are a bit disappointing.

I suspect it's something to do with the lenses of the main cameras used, because they want the clearest possible picture for the viewer, however when they want to emphasise amount of rain, they will switch to another camera to demonstrate how hard it is raining, or show a shot of the light tower.

It's called focus/depth of field and lighting.

Channel 9 first installed AGVII lumi-precip lenses in the 70s when they were gearing up for the advent of WSC.

They have moved ahead in leaps and bounds since the first design, now they just run AGVMKIV anti-precip (no lumi) fibre cabling, which the live feed channels through back to the control room.

Youll never see rain on televsion due to an Australian invention.

AFL teams have also had the same technology implanted into full body contact suits and lenses (players unable to feel or see rain on the field), North being the only team not able to afford them

Explains a lot......

That explains why I get better reception when the lawn mowers going, makes for difficult viewing though.
Also explains why it got worse once i got rid of the Hills Hoist.

Notice whenever the TV station/commentators want to emphasise how heavy the rain is falling at a night game, they cut to a shot of the light tower
I heard there's always a guy standing on top of the light tower with a hose.

Can never see the wind either.

I dunno, sometimes after i've had a particularly dodgy curry, although probably better described as a "light mist".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That explains why I get better reception when the lawn mowers going, makes for difficult viewing though.
Also explains why it got worse once i got rid of the Hills Hoist.

:)

Thats why Foxtel has been able to circumvent all of those issues, as it is an Australian invention in itself!

Everyone knows that Australians invented Foxes in 1789 from the armhair of crew on The Lady Juliana that sailed with the second fleet. And its folklore that we invented the telephone.

Foxtel - a great Australian Story

:)

Thats why Foxtel has been able to circumvent all of those issues, as it is an Australian invention in itself!

Everyone knows that Australians invented Foxes in 1789 from the armhair of crew on The Lady Juliana that sailed with the second fleet. And its folklore that we invented the telephone.

Foxtel - a great Australian Story

I take the Fox thing on board. However, the connection between Fox & media dates back to making a long pen (hence media) from a chain of hollowed out fox snouts.

Proof is found in the very first Mr Squiggle prototype. Not a pencil but a succession of fox snouts.

Why is it that no matter how hard it is raining, you can't actually see the rain even on a giant widescreen TV?

Like the Hawks v Richmond game on the weekend. The commentators going on about how it's pouring, the crowd are hiding under plastic sheets, the game changes as the ball slips about. But you can't actually see any damn rain through the TV. So you're missing just about the most important element affecting the game. Is it getting heavier/lighter? Who knows

This is something that has bothered me since I was a kid watching footy
If you like watching the rain during football, try watching a replay on your telstra t-box , this super hi-tec gadget , obviously manufactured in someones garden shed in the dark , has the effect of the whole match being played underwater , jeez I dont know why they even bother .

Size of the rain + the speed that it travels at means the cameras cant pick it up well.

In movies they actually use massive sprinklers that create drops of water many times the size of a regular rain drop so that it can be picked up by their cameras.

There was a Bears game many years ago out at Waverley, where it started hailing. Can't remember which player it was but they took a mark and shielded themself from the hail while trying to line up to kick. Proof that you can see the rain on AFL on TV - it just needs to be frozen and large....

Paul Peos v the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you ever seen the rain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back