Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone else notice how many blind Hawks fans there were last night?

Taking nothing away from their win. It was a far more superior performance and credit to them. But their supporters, I tell ya what. How many times did they start cheering before their shots at goal crossed the goal line? Often this would be followed by either a behind or a kick that failed to score. It didn't happen once or twice. I lost count in the end, but easily 10-12 times. And it's not like that was isolated to only one end of the ground where angles can sometimes be deceiving. Hawks fans going up as one from all areas of the stadium.

The same thing for umpiring decisions. Were their supporters seeing it differently to neutrals, even after decisions were replayed on the scoreboard. I.e. Booing decisions that went against them time and time again even though the scoreboard often proved the umpires' decision was correct? WTF was with that? Are their supporters usually like that? I hadn't been to a Hawks match since 2017 (Farewell Murph & Boyd) but I can't recall they were this bad back then.

It makes next week's match so interesting. Possibly the two strangest supporter bases around currently.
They’ve always been bad….

At the risk of sounding glib and just plain uninformed, genuine question. How is Hawthorn better than us??? Looking at the respective list profiles and the trajectories of where each team should really be at, it's puzzling. And 'puzzling' is the mildest adjective I could come up with.
How was our 2016 list better than 17 other teams?

Bullshit - 6% rum and coke being served last night. Just mid strength beer. Full strength spirits everywhere.
That is something I’ll never understand…..and also why I stopped buying beer at the footy about 10 years ago….what an absolute waste of money

Hi all commiserations on the loss at least your mob is playing finals but a quick observation why was Bont the best player in caper playing forward when the game was up for grabs?

Hi all commiserations on the loss at least your mob is playing finals but a quick observation why was Bont the best player in caper playing forward when the game was up for grabs?
Your guess is as good as ours on that one

Maybe a failed attempt at breaking a tag. Or Bev being too cute and trying a party trick. Whatever reason , it failed miserably. Caleb Daniel doesn't have the weapons to play in the guts , it was a terrible move.

couple days later and is harder to cop....a few weeks ago we belted Geelong and Sydney...look where they are, where we are
I was about to post something similar.

It doesn't seem real.

For the second time under Bevo, we haven't rocked up for a final. This is the part that's most hard to stomach. Unfortunately this loss will linger for six months and it's up there with the most empty I've felt after the conclusion of a season.

I was about to post something similar.

It doesn't seem real.

For the second time under Bevo, we haven't rocked up for a final. This is the part that's most hard to stomach. Unfortunately this loss will linger for six months and it's up there with the most empty I've felt after the conclusion of a season.
Third time I reckon given 2019 and 2020.

Third time I reckon given 2019 and 2020.
At least in 2020 we ran all over the Saints and would have won had it not been for shortened quarters.

2019 is the only year IMO that rates in the category of not turning up with the right mindset. I do hear what you're saying about 2020 given the way we started but at least we were able to recover from a poor start and eventually get out heads into the game.

This game and the Round 18 thrashing at the hands of Port tells us everything we need know about the areas we need to target in the trade period.

We didn't have a winner in the ruck or in the midfield in both those games and we got beaten the same way by both. In both cases the opposition came with an intent to shut us down at source and spread quickly when/if they won it knowing they had us for speed. In both cases the focus of the opposing team was to stop us in the midfield and those charged with the responsibility brought a fierce intensity to do the job. Both opponents knew that the key to stopping us was to deny us possession and territory, spread us quickly and have us chase from stoppages and take our tall forward threat out of the game.

We need at least one 23-24 year old elite mid with speed out of this trade/draft period. Plus a younger one if we can get one.

Timmy was well beaten by Meek also in the place where it all started. That's an ongoing concern

Anywho, this year was going to be a bonus if it happened. As forecast before the bye, next year is likely to be the year the stars align ... as long as we get Butters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Especially to Hawks, who we should’ve smashed by ten goals. And we let possibly the worst #5 draft pick in recent memory “IthinkImawizard” Watson kick 4. Despicable.
You sound bitter.

A reasonable person wouldn't post such nonsense.

Just accept we were simply outclassed by a very good team. You won't get anywhere if life if you continue to live in Fairy Land.

We get a full preseason now to bed some players into roles. Lobby and Richards get to solidify and develop their knowledge of their new positions. The tall forwards get another preseason to develop as a unit and Sanders to build.

Freijah is an interesting one. Could play anywhere. He's well up to most tasks it appears.

Gags is my left fielder. I'd train him up as a dedicated tagger over the preseason to take the oppo's most influential midfielder. I think we need the shut down option.

Bitterly, bitterly disappointing night. Hopefully Poulter has a massive preseason to complement Williams and takes the wing.... still think he should never been dropped.

Would have preferred Khamis with his body of work in the seniors over JOD, despite his limitations.

Doesn't really matter though, they smacked us everywhere. Reality check indeed.

Yikes. Debate over.
I'm not sure what question you're asking than some sort of metaphysical vibe that we're entitled to success and we're the only team trying to win, and Hawks didn't.

"That still fails to address the question.

You've simply restated WWB's starting point which is that they're now demonstrably better than us after they had a shocking start to the season. But how did that happen when most observers think our list is better on paper?"

I disagree with the premise that our list is better on paper, because if it was true, it would have demonstrated itself on Friday and across the last 15 weeks. It is roughly simialr in quality.

"How did that happen".

Because they did the things well that leads to football success. How else am I meant to answer that? It's not inevitable that our list was better or whatever term you want to use.

I didn't go to the game but BT kept saying it was 50/50 anyone know what it really was
It was 50/50 in the 55,000 odd seats that weren't the AFL Members and MCC. AFL Members would have been 80/20 Hawks and MCC would have been 90/10 Hawks. So about 65k Hawks fans and 35k Dogs fans.

couple days later and is harder to cop....a few weeks ago we belted Geelong and Sydney...look where they are, where we are
I think part of it is not rocking up, and part of it is just shitty we had to play another of the best 2-3 teams in the league as if it was their home grounds.

Fans still aren't good at recongising home ground advantage for what it is - not travel but ground familiarity and fan influence.

Hawks might play outstanding footy, and still lose, in either Adelaide or Sydney for the exact same reason, and their fans might criticise the loss - without understanding it goes both ways, and they may not have beaten us if we were an interstate team they had no fans at the ground for.

Sack Bevo.
Wasted season.
That is all.
Thankyou for putting so much thought and effort into the opening post.

It was like you (and the bevo hate clan) were sitting there waiting, salivating at the thought of us failing.

Funnily enough there had been nothing but crickets for about 8 weeks before this.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Especially to Hawks, who we should’ve smashed by ten goals. And we let possibly the worst #5 draft pick in recent memory “IthinkImawizard” Watson kick 4. Despicable.
You're still going with this rubbish.. Nick Watson has averaged 3.4 shots on goal this year in his first year in the hardest position to play on the ground - that's the 18th most in the entire competition regardless of position, and 4th most for a small. What does he have to do for you to realise he's very deserving of his draft position? And just on that..

"possibly the worst #5 pick in recent memory"

2022: Elijah Tstatas
2021: Mac Andrew
2020: Braeden Campbell
2019: Dylan Stephens
2018: Connor Rozee
2017: Adam Cerra
2016: Will Setterfield
2015: Darcy Parish
2014: Jordan De Goey
2013: Kade Kolodjashnij

Check how Watson's first year compares to this 10. He's behind Connor Rozee, Jordan De Goey and at a stretch Darcy Parish but even those are largely positional. Depending on your definition of "recent memory" he's had the best first year for any number 5 pick for 6 years.

Thankyou for putting so much thought and effort into the opening post.

It was like you (and the bevo hate clan) were sitting there waiting, salivating at the thought of us failing.

Funnily enough there had been nothing but crickets for about 8 weeks before this.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
You know its a problem when we're starting to be called ''The Port of Victoria'' by people.

We're not even as good as Port in the H&A season, and we choke finals..

But if your happy with that, sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Hawks defeat Dogs elimination final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back